Catalytic converter removal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 2nd Gen (97 - 04) Forums > 2G Dodge Dakota Performance Talk

Closed Thread

SoDak

Catalytic converter removal - Posted: 07-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Hi, I have a '97 dakota 4x4 with the 5.2 and I was wondering can you remove the large catalytic converter? I'm asking because I drive it in grassland frequently and don't want to start a fire. Will the removal screw with the computer because I see some wires sticking out the back of it. Also is it illegal to do? I don't want to break the law. Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ScotchtownMedic

Posted: 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
City: Scotchtown
State: NY
View This User's Garage
Post #2

Anything that you do to the Cat will screw up the computer and prevent a passing vehicle inspection. Try an exhaust diverter valve to bypass the whole thing. Who cares about noise level when you are out in the middle of a field.
3.92 Limited Slip Dif
Line-X Bedliner
Tonneumasters Tonneu Cover
Westin Sportsman Grille Guard
PIAA 520
Westin Signature Series Side Steps
K&N FIPK
Torsion Bar Level - set back to normal 'bad idea'
Dyna Lock Power Tailgate Lock
Helix power tower pro - makes a cool sound

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RT4U2C

Posted: 07-31-2005, 09:28 PM
City: montgomery
State: TX
Post #3

The only problem with a diverter valve, is that...you will end up popping a couple of flames out from time to time...The only thing that you have to do is to remove the O2 sensor...that's the wires hanging out, and remove the cat...Now depending on where you live, it is or is not against the law...You can take it off and fear nothing if your town does not do emissions testing, but if so, as long as the tester does not get under the truck to look and see that it's not there, the computer will not show a code. By the way when you pull the O2 sensor, just tie wrap it up on the frame rail.
Aluminum radio back plate( thanks me! )
Sony black face motorized flip-down head unit( thanks me! )
Polk db component set 6.75" in rear( thanks me! )
Polk db 5.5" in front doors( thanks me! )
Leveling blocks( thanks me! )
New radiator, condenser, shroud, and pulleys-thanks to deer( thanks me! )
Diamond Clear Headlights & Corners( thanks me! )
SS speed grille( thanks me! )

coming soon:
custom tailgate--handle to the inside, license plate cut in, led's, body lines shaved, roll-pan, bags, new system, tail-light fillers, 3rd brake light filler, body-kit, tint, and maybe a dodgetalk.com sticker...if I can ever get one!

SoDak

Posted: 08-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Post #4

I live in a rural part of South Dakota so there is no emission testing around here. So I might look into having it done.

Crow318

Posted: 08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
State: NY
Post #5

If you remove the CAT completely, you can still start fires because you now have nothing stopping sparks from leaving your exhaust.

I have the same truck as you and I replaced the cat with an aftermarket one and had a problem with the rear o2 sensor. The computer needs both of them to function correctly. The rear one is less important.

If you want to remove it all together and you are not worried about the emissions or the sparks, modify the o2 sensor but leave it in the exhaust downstream of the first one.

http://www.dodgedakotas.com/boards/per/5079.html

Read the post by Conig. Thats what I did.
Closed Thread