Vacuum Leak Locations - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Silver_DodgeRam

Vacuum Leak Locations - Posted: 07-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
View This User's Garage
Post #1

Hey all,

I noticed a lot of people post about there vacuum leak issues, such as the ac/fan switching to the defrost under load. To help people locate there vaccum leaks easier, I thought we could all post where we found our leak at. Perhaps there are some common areas where leaks develop, and by documenting them in a single thread, other folks who have this issue can start with those areas when searching for their leak. Maybe we can make this a sticky thread at the top of this forum or something.

For me, it was a tiny hole in the vacuum line that runs next to the passenger side frame rail next to the exhaust. The exhaust had burned a tiny hole in the line. New vacuum line cost me about $30, and it took less then 20 minutes to change. Symptoms were the usual blower switching to defrost under load, and also the 4x4 not disengaging very quickly (also vacum operated).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Futon Type R

Posted: 07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
The R is for RELAX...
City: Dallas
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Q...do I have a Vacuum line problem if: When I accelerate the a/c stops coming through the vents, but rather the defrost; and then after I decelerate, there is a loud *very noticeable* popping sound that ensues, followed by my air coming back on?
Hate for this to be my first post, but it's something that's been buggin me for years.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Futon Type R

Posted: 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM
The R is for RELAX...
Post #3

My "noobness" has already shone through my rough exterior, I found the thread dedicated to this *exact* problem. Will post where the leak is coming from as soon as I find it and fix it.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

VABLKRAM

Posted: 07-18-2005, 06:05 PM
State: VA
Post #4

There is a check valve on the pass side intake manifold, they tend to go bad
it is located under the line for the PVC valve .
This is a common problem for the AC switching from vents to defrost
cost $ 3.50
Not sure about the popping you are getting

RAM MAN

Posted: 07-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Originating Member
City: Haslett
State: MI
Post #5

hmm

good to know info, as I have this problem with my Ram VAN right now ...

I'll just have to try and locate the check valve

THANKS

dtracymoto

Posted: 07-18-2005, 10:21 PM
City: utah
Post #6

Under the intake manifold the bolt on plate was where mine was. The thing would ping, a/c would change, brakes sucked, tranny shifted odd, would jump in and out of overdrive, all fixed with 4 or 5 hours of my time and a new gasket with sealer this time.

Futon Type R

Posted: 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM
The R is for RELAX...
Post #7

Took it my local dealer today, turns out it was a blown Plenum pan gasket, which means I'm going to have to reseal and replace the intake gasket, and go ahead and replace the bypass hose that runs from the intake to the water pump. They quoted me about $500 out the door...but a local guy I trust told me now more than $300. Damn dealer still got my $80 from the diagnostics! Oh well, saving at least a hundred bucks, not to mention a headache from having to work with the dealer.

Oh yeah, and it should also fix this insane whistling sound that was the pan actually sucking air, and not pressurizing properly. 6 mechanics in 1 month and none of them had ever heard anything like it. I'm going to try and post the video I made of it on here, assuming it's not too large...

Last edited by Futon Type R : 07-19-2005 at 03:32 PM. Reason: extra info

VABLKRAM

Posted: 07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
State: VA
Post #8

The belly pan gasket is a BIG problem with our trucks, Be sure you are using the right repair kit or you will end up redoing the entire job over.
I got my replacement kit from http://www.hughesengines.com/general...enum_cover_kit
and did the job myself. this was 4 months ago and so far so good. I would recomend this to anybody who dose not want to replace the intake manifold with the M1 intake.

DODGEIT

Posted: 07-20-2005, 07:33 PM
City: Sarasota Fl.
State: FL
Post #9

I have had my plenum gasket replaced once last November. It has blown again. I have a MP 1 intake going on in a few days. Also had problems with the cruise control servo.
Mine is located under the battery on the drivers side. Battery dripped acid and ate a hole in the plastic vacumm line going to the servo. Cut out the bad spot and replaced it with a rubber hose and that fixed the problem.

Mickey95-5.9

Vaccum leak? AC stops when accelerating - Posted: 07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Post #10

My 1995 5.9 does the same thing....I did not see that anyone really gave you the answer or solution... Did you find out where the problem is?
Thanks....
Closed Thread