Set timing on 98/5.9 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 06-26-2005, 02:38 PM
1Ram98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Set timing on 98/5.9

I inherited a 98 Ram 5.9 after the previous owner tried changing the distributor cap and ran into problems that snowballed into bigger ones (destroyed distributor base, moved distributor out of timing).

To make a long story short I bought and installed a new distributor (first one I seen without a drive gear on it). I installed it in exactly the same spot as the old one and would now like to manually time the engine with a timing light.

Where is the connector or pigtail located that I would have to disconnect before setting timing? The engine is at TDC, and the rotor isnt pointing at the number one firing piston (3 oclock from # 1 piston. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

You cannot set the timing via the distributor anymore. It's controlled by the ECM. The only thing the distributor does now is supply spark of course, but it has a cam sensor inside that controls injector timing.

TDC (comp. stroke) on no. 1 cylinder on a smallblock Mopar the rotor should be facing about the 1 o'clock position. After this is acheived, there is a notch in the distributor housing that needs to be lined up with the rotor. This is called "indexing" the distributor. The distributor on a Mopar Magnum engine should never be turned to try and adjust timing....it doesn't work that way anymore.

Nate Breece

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
#3 Old 06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
1Ram98

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply Nate, I will let you know how I make out.
#4 Old 06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
BVRmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgevanman
You cannot set the timing via the distributor anymore. It's controlled by the ECM. The only thing the distributor does now is supply spark of course, but it has a cam sensor inside that controls injector timing.

TDC (comp. stroke) on no. 1 cylinder on a smallblock Mopar the rotor should be facing about the 1 o'clock position. After this is acheived, there is a notch in the distributor housing that needs to be lined up with the rotor. This is called "indexing" the distributor. The distributor on a Mopar Magnum engine should never be turned to try and adjust timing....it doesn't work that way anymore.
Yes. The distributor has to be set correctly to time the fuel injectors. Turning the dist will not effectively adjust the ignition timing.
Closed Thread