TBI to carb conversion??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 1st Gen (88 - 93) Forum

Closed Thread

2shus

TBI to carb conversion??? - Posted: 04-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Post #1

This is all I have done trying to get this truck to run even a little better!!!! New double roller timing chain and gears, new distributor, new dual exhaust with glasspacks and without converters, (we don't have emmission testing here), all sensors has been replaced, rebuilt throttle body, new PCM, new vacuum hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, EGR valve, I have ran a compression test with 140-150 lbs per cylinder. I have ran 2 cans of mopar combustion chamber cleaner thru it and a can of BG 44K power enhancer. Double checked the throttle cable to make sure it is opening all the way. I have closely monitored the air pressure in the tires and replaced the clutch fan with a thermostatically controlled electric fan that rarely comes on. New fuel filter. It idles as smooth as butter and it is not showing any codes. I have checked it up and down for vacuum leaks or intake leaks and then I had my brother look it over also. I think it is anemic on power still and the 9-10 MPG is intolerable. I am about ready to burn it!! After torching it I may consider trying going back to a carb. I can rob all the parts I need off my 85 Dodge van, it has a rebuilt carb that is about a year old. What all is involved, do they make an adapter plate for TBI to carb or do you have to change the intake manifold? I guess you have to change the distributor also and I guess I would need the brains from the 85 also huh? Are their websites that give specific instructions on conversion? This will not be a daily driver anymore due to gas prices so a carb does not bother me. I need the power to pull my camper now and then. The way it is, if their is any wind it does well to pull itself. I really am ready to give up on the TBI and go to a carburetor. I am thru messing with it. It has to be within the computer system etc. It is the first year that PCM's were used on the trucks. Has anyone else done TBI to Carb conversion?

_

1988 W-150 4X4 TBI 5.2 Liter Automatic 108,000 miles
Advertisement

Dodgevanman

Posted: 04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I think your best bet is remove all the emissions junk if you haven't already. Get yourself a good set of headers, an Edelbrock Performer intake, and Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. w/electric choke. You can get the Mopar Performances electronic igniton kit and totally remove ECM and all it's wiring. Then you have just a simple carbureted engine that will run great.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

2shus

Posted: 04-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgevanman
I think your best bet is remove all the emissions junk if you haven't already. Get yourself a good set of headers, an Edelbrock Performer intake, and Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. w/electric choke. You can get the Mopar Performances electronic igniton kit and totally remove ECM and all it's wiring. Then you have just a simple carbureted engine that will run great.
I have removed all of the emmission pump etc. Where is the most reasonable place to get the Edelbrock carb, intake and choke? Also where do you get the Mopar performancees ignition kit? Just do a google search for them? Also will I still use the new electronic distributor that I just bought or does the kit come with a new one? Thanks for the help.

Dodgevanman

Posted: 04-05-2005, 11:07 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

You can go to Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) or Mancini Racing (www.manciniracing.com)

The Mopar kit comes with distributor (complete), ballast reisistor, ECU, and harness.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread