4.7 Engine Problems - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM
jmrussell2003

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
4.7 Engine Problems

My 2000 Durango has 151,xxx miles on it, and now it is starting to act up. On a cold start it will start, the rpms go up like normal then settle at about 600, then the engine will start to rattle and the car will shake, the rpms will go down to about 200. Now sometimes it will stall, and I have to restart it or sometimes the computer (I think) will save it and rev it up to about 1000, then it will settle to about 600 again. Then start the process over again. This only occurs on a cold start or its been sitting for several hours. Then when it is warm idling at the stoplight. You here like a rhythmic knocking from the enigne, but no fluctuations in RPMs. Sometimes when I get out of the car it will smell like burning oil, and sometimes like rotten eggs. Not sure what the problem is. My oil is coming up to a 3000 interval. My TPS and new plugs, also coolant, and tranny fluid was flushed n filled in January. Please Help.

2000 Durango SLT 4x4 4.7L

CAI
Clear Corners
Gutter Guard Grille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
Almond Pale Ale
Patriot....

Idle air control valve? not sure if there is one on the 4.7 or not but I'm assuming there is.

2004 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT, 305/555 CTD, 48RE, QC, LB
Intake: aFe Stage I intake, aFe Torque Tube Exhuast: IMCO HD performance muffler Drivetrain: PML rear diff cover, PML Tranny cover, Bilstein shocks Power: Diablosport Power Puck set on 60hp/100tq Fluids: AMSOIL front to back
CTD Enthusiast Club Member #47
#3 Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
cbrenn71
Hummer Recovery Vehicle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
could be a tps.

the rotten egg smell is a clogged cat.

UNIQUE COATINGS - Sponsor as of 4/9/06

GARAGE SALE!!! Great Prices on New, Used Retrofit Parts and Accessories
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&threadid=358141

PROJECTOR RETROFITS STARTING AT $195!!!!!

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD ON HID & RETROFIT PARTS AND SERVICES!!!!! GUARANTEED.
#4 Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
ria

rotten egg smell could also be gas with a high sulfur content....try a complete different gas station and brand....maybe you'll luck out and it's as simple as that

bad gas w/ high sulfur will ruin your catalytic converter eventually

So far first Durango, bought used 3/25/05 and totally stock.
2001 4.7 SLT 4x4 2-tone ivory & gold, running boards, fog lights, fender flares
tan leather front buckets, 3rd row

plans:
**irridescent pearl racing stripe w/ flame in (doesn't smack ya in the face, but you'll see it...)
**wanna see bout some beefier tires-right now has yokohama geolander ht-s 265/70 16's-have to find out what will fit
**rear disc brake conversion from drums
**replace map lights w/ overhead console
**replace stock cassette....possibly cd changer, would like to try to find a used stock one rather than aftermarket so that it fits the dash properly
**taillight covers, might get paintable and paint ivory..
**air ram hood, NOT stick on scoops lol
**would like to try to install rear heat/ac
right now i'm all about looks, will deal w/ performance when i'm done getting it pretty. i'm at 108k and when i hit 150k miles i wanna swap out the engine, possibly 5.9, gonna see bout researching what it will take to put a hemi in it...
#5 Old 03-30-2005, 10:00 PM
jmrussell2003

(Thread Starter)
What else do you think could be causing the idling problem.

cbrenn71, do you really think the TPS went bad in a matter of months?

2000 Durango SLT 4x4 4.7L

CAI
Clear Corners
Gutter Guard Grille
#6 Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
ria

if it's a sensor problem your engine light should have come on....run the codes

So far first Durango, bought used 3/25/05 and totally stock.
2001 4.7 SLT 4x4 2-tone ivory & gold, running boards, fog lights, fender flares
tan leather front buckets, 3rd row

plans:
**irridescent pearl racing stripe w/ flame in (doesn't smack ya in the face, but you'll see it...)
**wanna see bout some beefier tires-right now has yokohama geolander ht-s 265/70 16's-have to find out what will fit
**rear disc brake conversion from drums
**replace map lights w/ overhead console
**replace stock cassette....possibly cd changer, would like to try to find a used stock one rather than aftermarket so that it fits the dash properly
**taillight covers, might get paintable and paint ivory..
**air ram hood, NOT stick on scoops lol
**would like to try to install rear heat/ac
right now i'm all about looks, will deal w/ performance when i'm done getting it pretty. i'm at 108k and when i hit 150k miles i wanna swap out the engine, possibly 5.9, gonna see bout researching what it will take to put a hemi in it...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.