What Code Reader to buy? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

TX DODGE

What Code Reader to buy? - Posted: 03-22-2005, 08:53 AM
City: Dallas
State: TX
Post #1

I'm buying a code reader to see what it says about this dash lights not working. I'm looking for a $30 one not the $200 one.... which is user friendly? Has anyone bought one from Hi/Lo or Autozone- 1994 Dodge Ram
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rare T/A

Posted: 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
City: Fargo, ND
State: ND
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

I bought a nice little one at Wal Mart. It was $99.00 and works great. It will read and clear all OBDII DTC for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scn_0001.jpg (278.8 KB, 9 views)
'03 4X4 Off Road, 5.7 HEMI, Auto and 3:91 Suregrip, Trailer tow package

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

slambony

Posted: 03-23-2005, 08:48 PM
City: beaver falls
Post #3

RareT/A can that test individual sensors like o2,or tps,etc? Like for intermittent problems during driving?Or just pull codes and clear them?Thanks

Rare T/A

Posted: 03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

If I had to guess I would say no. I checked my truck and it had no DTC and I haven't read the full instructions. But I believe it's just a code reader and not one of those fancy ones like they have at repair shops that tells everything including the kitchen sink.

heloace

Posted: 03-23-2005, 10:43 PM
City: Flint
State: MI
Post #5

I bought one from AutoZone for about $30 and it works great. I don't know of any that will analyze your electrical system. If all your dash lights are out, it's probably a fuse. You had better hope it's a fuse, cause it it's isn't, you're in for a hell of a time searching for a broken wire. My money would be on a fuse in the box on the left side of the dash. Best of luck!!

Ret.ArmySF

Posted: 03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
An Army of One
City: San Antonio
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

Why spend good money when your truck will tell you any codes it has thrown, and it takes all of 5 minutes to reset the computer!

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell Out of the Way!

1998 Dodge Ram SLT 1500 5.2L/Debadged

COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER #69
S.N.A.T.C.H. Spec. Ops. 2nd Lt!

Exterior: Blue Xenon Head and Fog Lights - Stainless Steel Toolbox - Mopar Molded Mud Flaps - Red Painted Brake Calipers - Tailgate Handle Lock - Alteza Tail Lights - Rear Spoiler - Aluminum Gas Door - Aluminum 3rd Brake Light Cover

Interior: White Face Guages - Hard Wired Radar Detector - Pioneer Head Unit - Front 6x9 4 Ways Rear 6.5 4 Ways - Bazooka Tube Sub Woofer - Center Console Coin Holder

Performance: TPS Modification - ACcel 8.8mm 300+ Plug Wires - NAPA Brass Contact Distributor Cap and Rotar - K&N cold air intake- Magnaflow High Flow CAT - Magnaflow Stainless Steel Muffler - Traction Bars

Planned Additions: Cam -1.6 Roller Rockers- Fastman Throttle Body 52mm - 410 gears and Posi

Water marks Powered by "PictureShark" http://www.picture-shark.com/

jrmcx

Posted: 03-24-2005, 07:48 AM
City: N.W. Indiana
State: IN
Post #7

TX DODGE.....If you P.M. your e-mail address, I'll send you a couple pages out of a manual on troubleshooting panel liighting. May or may not help, but it looks fairly comprehensive.

Rare T/A

Posted: 03-24-2005, 07:55 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.ArmySF
Why spend good money when your truck will tell you any codes it has thrown, and it takes all of 5 minutes to reset the computer!

Hi Ret.ArmySF, if your asking me why I bought one I also work on my wifes Grand Prix and my daughters Blazer. For the $100.00 I spent has been a very good investment and I'm sure we will have other cars that I could use it on.

slambony

Posted: 03-25-2005, 06:59 PM
City: beaver falls
Post #9

Thanks rareT/A just wandered found Auto X-Ray brand on the net they will check individual sensors for intermitten(driving) problems 159.00 refurbed.With cables for obd I and II.Sorry to interupt topic.
5-speed 4:10's
Brass cap and rotor
Hughes plenum pan
Modified TPS
Center Force II clutch
JBA 8mm wires (w/ horizontal wire looms)
New Viton valve seals
stainless steel shorties
180* T-Stat
AIS Ram Air Box (dual snorkel)
Ram side exhaust 3" in 2 1/2 outs magna flow
next harland sharp rockers, and TB
Closed Thread