What Code Reader to buy? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 AM
TX DODGE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What Code Reader to buy?

I'm buying a code reader to see what it says about this dash lights not working. I'm looking for a $30 one not the $200 one.... which is user friendly? Has anyone bought one from Hi/Lo or Autozone- 1994 Dodge Ram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Rare T/A

I bought a nice little one at Wal Mart. It was $99.00 and works great. It will read and clear all OBDII DTC for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scn_0001.jpg (278.8 KB, 9 views)

'70 Dodge Challenger T/A
'09 Challenger R/T
'03 4X4 Off Road, 5.7 HEMI, Auto and 3:91 Suregrip, Trailer tow package

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left!
#3 Old 03-23-2005, 08:48 PM
slambony

RareT/A can that test individual sensors like o2,or tps,etc? Like for intermittent problems during driving?Or just pull codes and clear them?Thanks
#4 Old 03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Rare T/A

If I had to guess I would say no. I checked my truck and it had no DTC and I haven't read the full instructions. But I believe it's just a code reader and not one of those fancy ones like they have at repair shops that tells everything including the kitchen sink.

'70 Dodge Challenger T/A
'09 Challenger R/T

#5 Old 03-23-2005, 10:43 PM
heloace

I bought one from AutoZone for about $30 and it works great. I don't know of any that will analyze your electrical system. If all your dash lights are out, it's probably a fuse. You had better hope it's a fuse, cause it it's isn't, you're in for a hell of a time searching for a broken wire. My money would be on a fuse in the box on the left side of the dash. Best of luck!!
#6 Old 03-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Ret.ArmySF
An Army of One

Why spend good money when your truck will tell you any codes it has thrown, and it takes all of 5 minutes to reset the computer!

Ret.ArmySF

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell Out of the Way!

1998 Dodge Ram SLT 1500 5.2L/Debadged

COIN HOLDERS ASSOCIATION MEMBER #69
S.N.A.T.C.H. Spec. Ops. 2nd Lt!

Exterior: Blue Xenon Head and Fog Lights - Stainless Steel Toolbox - Mopar Molded Mud Flaps - Red Painted Brake Calipers - Tailgate Handle Lock - Alteza Tail Lights - Rear Spoiler - Aluminum Gas Door - Aluminum 3rd Brake Light Cover

Interior: White Face Guages - Hard Wired Radar Detector - Pioneer Head Unit - Front 6x9 4 Ways Rear 6.5 4 Ways - Bazooka Tube Sub Woofer - Center Console Coin Holder

Performance: TPS Modification - ACcel 8.8mm 300+ Plug Wires - NAPA Brass Contact Distributor Cap and Rotar - K&N cold air intake- Magnaflow High Flow CAT - Magnaflow Stainless Steel Muffler - Traction Bars

Planned Additions: Cam -1.6 Roller Rockers- Fastman Throttle Body 52mm - 410 gears and Posi

Water marks Powered by "PictureShark" http://www.picture-shark.com/
#7 Old 03-24-2005, 07:48 AM
jrmcx

TX DODGE.....If you P.M. your e-mail address, I'll send you a couple pages out of a manual on troubleshooting panel liighting. May or may not help, but it looks fairly comprehensive.
#8 Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Rare T/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.ArmySF
Why spend good money when your truck will tell you any codes it has thrown, and it takes all of 5 minutes to reset the computer!

Hi Ret.ArmySF, if your asking me why I bought one I also work on my wifes Grand Prix and my daughters Blazer. For the $100.00 I spent has been a very good investment and I'm sure we will have other cars that I could use it on.

'70 Dodge Challenger T/A
'09 Challenger R/T

#9 Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 PM
slambony

Thanks rareT/A just wandered found Auto X-Ray brand on the net they will check individual sensors for intermitten(driving) problems 159.00 refurbed.With cables for obd I and II.Sorry to interupt topic.

On the eighth day god created the"426 Hemi"
2000,2500 ext-cab 5.9 4/4
5-speed 4:10's
Brass cap and rotor
Hughes plenum pan
Modified TPS
Center Force II clutch
JBA 8mm wires (w/ horizontal wire looms)
New Viton valve seals
stainless steel shorties
180* T-Stat
AIS Ram Air Box (dual snorkel)
Ram side exhaust 3" in 2 1/2 outs magna flow
next harland sharp rockers, and TB
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.