Odometer flashes then reveals "no bus" where the odometer # are - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Johnvan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Odometer flashes then reveals "no bus" where the odometer # are

Here's one, on my 99Dodge Van 5.9L with the starting problem (previous thread), if I turn the key to the on position, all my lights on the instrument cluster come on with the exception of the check engine light. After I leave it on for about 10 seconds, my odometer reading flashes and reveals what looks like "no bus" and my check engine light comes on. Any idea why this is?

Also, I plugged in my scanner to test my sensors, data and codes but it keeps saying no data. Is my ECM toast? Anyone out there have any info for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2005, 10:50 PM
mathewregister

I have a 1999 Dakota R/T and I got the same "no bus" in the odometer. But mine happened when I tried to install a Hypertech Power programmer up. It would show a "no bus" then my check engine light would come on. I got the code read and it said that the internal memory of the PCM has been tampered with. So I ended up buying a new Mopar computer for my truck. You might have a similar problem.

1999 Dakota R/T
Mild Mods
Best 1/4 Time 13.8 @ 97mph
(6100 Ft. Elv. Street Tires)
#3 Old 02-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnvan
Here's one, on my 99Dodge Van 5.9L with the starting problem (previous thread), if I turn the key to the on position, all my lights on the instrument cluster come on with the exception of the check engine light. After I leave it on for about 10 seconds, my odometer reading flashes and reveals what looks like "no bus" and my check engine light comes on. Any idea why this is?

Also, I plugged in my scanner to test my sensors, data and codes but it keeps saying no data. Is my ECM toast? Anyone out there have any info for me?
The "Bus" is series of communications lines between all the various snesors and modules. When it says No Bus, something isnt talking to another module correctly. Could be a loose connection, a bad ECM or maybe you need to have your ECM re-flashed by the dealer?
#4 Old 02-24-2005, 05:59 AM
dakota90

Usually it is th PCM that is faulty, although I did have to replace a cluster once for that problem, check ignition and pcm fuses also. Hope this helps
#5 Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 PM
5spdslt

Had this happen to me a few times until it was diagnosed. At first the truck would just shut down at random times. It even happened to me on the freeway @ 70 MPH.

The dealer could not figure it out. They installed a co-pilot in the truck and on my way I went. The co-pilot is a devise that when the truck give a problem you were to press button and this devise would record all of the perameters of the ECU.

I drove the truck for over two months without fail. I had just called the dealer to get this co-pilot out my truck when it happened. The truck completly shut down. It left me on the freeway, at night, raining and in the left emergency lane. After I looked and pushed/pulled on everything to no avail I noticed the odometer showed "NO BUSS". I took this as a sign that I would have to start walking because no bus was going to pick me up.

I turned out to be a loose pin inside the computer on. After they replaced (under warranty thank god) the computer it was fine.

I will also say that the new computer was reprogramed to help reduce the extreme pinging problem that the 5 speeds were having. I was a bit upset that the turck did not have as much 'get-up-and-go" as it did before. There expaination was that the truck must have come from the factory with too much horsepower and torque and that now it is at the right level. Now that is funny.

Eric

1999 Ram SLT Quad Cab RWD
Forest Green w/charcoal interior
MFG date 5/21/99
Engine:
5.2L(318ci)V-8;Stock block/heads
Gibson SS Headers
Flowmaster 50 series/stock pipes
"SICK" 52MM throttle body
Aluminum air hat with custom inlet tube running to K&N filter on passenger front side-deleted front flap for cool air
Amsoil 15W/40
Running Gear:
NV3500 5 speed manual transmission
Corporate 9.25" w/3.55:1 gear/Dana LSD
Suspension/Brakes:
KYB Mono Max front; KYB Gas-A-Just rear
Poly bushings in stock 32mm front bar; Hellwig 1 1/8" rear bar w/poly bushings
Stock Tri-tad-poll rims 16X8
265/70-16 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051
Front crossdrilled and slotted rotors-Axiss Metal Mater pads; Read std. drums-Raybestos PG shoes
Exterior & Lighting:
Body color Alteza's
SPORT quad head light conversion w/four relays & dedicated satilite fuse block-all four beams active in high & low modes
Sylvania Silver Star; 9007 outers, 9004 inners
Clear SPORT corner lights w/Sylvania silver/amber bulbs
1 3/4" X 3 1/2" driving lights mounted in factory rectangle cut outs of front bumper (Sylvania Silver Star H3's)
Interior/Convenience/Misc:
400 Watt inverter w/ internal fan; flush mount in right rear seat panel
DEI Viper560x alarm w/ remote start
Alpine AM, FM, CD, MP3, XM
Alpine V12 5 Channel AMP (under front center seat)
Alpine 6"X9" front & 6 1/2" rear (150mhz caps installed)
'Sub-Solution' subwoofer under right rear seat (jack placed in tupperware & mounted in spare tire)
Monster Cable wires all speakers & 8ga. power wire
DEKA 'Intimidator" absorbed glass mat battery
Affixed hands free phone with mic on top of driver piller & speaker on center console (hard to talk while shifting)

License plate appears as follows (green is frame, blue is plate):

DODGE RAM S L T

5SPDSLT
A 5K# SPORTS CAR

No laughing!!!!!! And get your minds out of the gutter.
Closed Thread