5w20 or 5w30 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

hemi42066

5w20 or 5w30 - Posted: 02-06-2005, 08:57 PM
City: Mayfield , Kentucky
State: KY
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Well I'm 99% sure im gonna go Amsoil but i cant decide on XL7500 5x20 or the 5w30. Any Input would be greatly appreciated.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BiIIy_B0b

Posted: 02-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
City: Parker, CO
State: CO
Post #2

5w-30

i'm running amsoil too
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Medicff0879

Posted: 02-06-2005, 10:04 PM
City: Henderson
State: TX
Post #3

5w-30 Amsoil
Michelin LTX Tires
XM Radio

HemiJim04

Posted: 02-06-2005, 10:25 PM
City: Delaware
Post #4

Just had my 2nd oil change yesterday....5w30 all the way.
Sport group, Light Group, Tow Group
Leather Seats, 20" rims, OEM Bug Shield, HEMI Bed liner

MODs:
Flowmaster 50 Series dual exhaust - side exit w/3.5" Chrome tips
AFE Magnum Force "Stealth" Stage 2 Intake
AIR_RAM Jet Stream
Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau

Top Gear RPM at:
60mph...............1600 rpm
75mph...............2000 rpm

NHHEMI

Posted: 02-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Post #5

Go with what the truck came with. If it is an 04 or earlier than it should be 5W-30. If it is an 05 then I think they have gone to 5W-20.

I run Royal Purple. As good as Amsoil and cheaper.

mopar fan

Posted: 02-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

Go with the 5w-30! I run Amsoil also.

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

TToP

Posted: 02-15-2005, 09:50 AM
State: BC
Post #7

I have an 05, and plan to go 5W-20, and I thought there was a TSB out for all Hemi's to go 5W-20. My amsoil guy reccommended 0W-30. I still haven't decided which way to go yet though....
Canadian Rumble Bee SS #3285
Solar Yellow 4X4
2.5% Rear, 35% Side Tint
Compustar 2W8000FMR Alarm/Starter W/ Window Control & Pager
Aero Turbine 3030 Muffler (No Resonator)
AMSOIL XL7500 5W-20 Oil + K&N Oil Filter
K&N Drop In Air Filter
EUROLITE Xenon Head & Fog Lights
Infinity Basslink 10" Sub/200W D Amp
Armaguard HeavyDuty SprayIn
Chrome Flaps - Yet to be Coated
Crystal/Cleared Headlight Assemblies (Black)
LEER 700 Series Tonneau With PWR & Carpet
Tonneau & GFX Stripe Extensions
Gallery

jwiegel

Posted: 02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
City: st charles
State: IL
Post #8

i am running 0w-30w it is the way to go

TToP

Posted: 02-15-2005, 11:40 AM
State: BC
Post #9

Why is that? You have the 5.7? Whats teh benefit or why is 0w-30 suggested?
Canadian Rumble Bee SS #3285
Solar Yellow 4X4
2.5% Rear, 35% Side Tint
Compustar 2W8000FMR Alarm/Starter W/ Window Control & Pager
Aero Turbine 3030 Muffler (No Resonator)
AMSOIL XL7500 5W-20 Oil + K&N Oil Filter
K&N Drop In Air Filter
EUROLITE Xenon Head & Fog Lights
Infinity Basslink 10" Sub/200W D Amp
Armaguard HeavyDuty SprayIn
Chrome Flaps - Yet to be Coated
Crystal/Cleared Headlight Assemblies (Black)
LEER 700 Series Tonneau With PWR & Carpet
Tonneau & GFX Stripe Extensions
Gallery

jwiegel

Posted: 02-15-2005, 11:53 AM
Post #10

i have the 5.9 and it offers a wider range of protection it is what my buddys have been using for years and they love it

HemiRoy

Posted: 02-15-2005, 08:02 PM
State: FL
Post #11

I must be an old fart. I feel the need to run API certified and CHRYSLER MS-6395M certified oils. Valvoline dino and Valvoline Durablend oil meets these two needs. I run Durablend 5w-20 and will go with Synpower full synthetic as soon as it's Chrysler approved.
Web browsing on a MacBook

sgbofav

Posted: 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I'd rather be Geocaching
City: Southern California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi42066
Well I'm 99% sure im gonna go Amsoil but i cant decide on XL7500 5x20 or the 5w30. Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

The XL7500 5w-20 is a synthetic blend that is API certified. If your paranoid about warranty issues, go with what your vehicle's manual calls for.

I have used many of Amsoil's formulations, and I like the Series 3000 5w-30 best. It is designed for diesel and or fleet vehicles, and has consistently proven itself in UOAs.

I run Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel oil in my Ram, SAE 5w-30 in my Car, and ran the S3000 5w-30 in my Dakota before I traded it in.

I was happy with all the formulations I've tried.

Bill,
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

Emerald Green 94 Ram 2500 slt lariat, 4x4, 5.9L Auto, 3.92 gears, HD service group, Tow Pkg,
AMSOIL SAE 75w-90 gear lube
AMSOIL SAE 15w-40 HDD&M oil
3 inch "cat back" exhaust with Flowmaster with 3 inch cat back exhaust,
Homebrew CAI with 9" S&B Pro-flow filter.
Dremel polished Throttle Body.

Green 1998 Olds Cutlass GLX, V6 (family car)
AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil
AMSOIL Flowzair "drop-in" air filter
Pioneer DEH-P3600 CD-player
Infinity Reference series speakers 4x6"s and 6x9"s

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

jwiegel

Posted: 02-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Post #13

so every time you replace anything on your truck plugs wires anything you go to the dealer and buy the oem stuff no bosch plugs wires airfilters anything

2003 1500 4X4 quad cab 5.9L

K&N cold air intake
Superchips micro tuner
Sylvania bright star all the way around
Ignite Push Button Start
Amsoil everywere
DENSO IL16 Iridium Plugs
Optima Yellow top battery
Dynamat hood liner
Beltronics Accelerometer Vector FX1

Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Low temp stat
Bfg 285/70/17
Alpine head unit
Polk MOMO Speakers

1/4 Mile 17.15 SEC
0-60 9.32 SEC
176 hp 197 PK 44 mph

sgbofav

Posted: 02-16-2005, 10:56 AM
I'd rather be Geocaching
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiegel
so every time you replace anything on your truck plugs wires anything you go to the dealer and buy the oem stuff no bosch plugs wires airfilters anything
I wasn't referring to OEM parts, I was specifically referring to oil viscosity.

If his truck calls for an API certified 5w-20 oil, and he uses Amsoil's SAE 5w-30 (non-API certified) oil, and he develops engine problems he may have a warranty issue. Winning a warranty suit against the manufacturer will cost you in the long run.

Like Amsoil says, they can't void your warranty if the oil is not the problem, but it will be a big hassle in the long run.

Personally, I think the 5w-20 and the EPA is nothing more than enviromentalist hype.
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

Emerald Green 94 Ram 2500 slt lariat, 4x4, 5.9L Auto, 3.92 gears, HD service group, Tow Pkg,

AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

jwiegel

Posted: 02-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Post #15

were do you keep getting api cert and non cert amsoil is api cert has been and always will be the manufacturer says use what ever oil you need for your application 0w-40w what ever as long as you change it at the right interval the 0-40w depends on out side temp swing and load on the engine maybe i am missing the whole point but all i am saying is use what ever oil you like and what ever wieght your application calls for and you are good no warranty problems

K&N cold air intake
Superchips micro tuner
Ignite Push Button Start
Amsoil everywere
DENSO IL16 Iridium Plugs
Dynamat hood liner

Low temp stat
Bfg 285/70/17
Alpine head unit
Polk MOMO Speakers

1/4 Mile 17.15 SEC
0-60 9.32 SEC
176 hp 197 PK 44 mph

jwiegel

Posted: 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Post #16

this might help AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:

API SL/CF, SJ, SH
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
ACEA A1/B1, A2/B2, A3/B3
Chrysler MS-6395 M
Ford WSS-M2C-913A/B
GM 6094M, 4718M
VW 503.00 (HTHS is 3.4)
DaimlerChrysler MB 229.3, 229.5
JASO VTW Spec.

K&N cold air intake
Superchips micro tuner
Ignite Push Button Start
Amsoil everywere
DENSO IL16 Iridium Plugs
Dynamat hood liner

Low temp stat
Bfg 285/70/17
Alpine head unit
Polk MOMO Speakers

1/4 Mile 17.15 SEC
0-60 9.32 SEC
176 hp 197 PK 44 mph

sgbofav

Posted: 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd rather be Geocaching
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiegel
were do you keep getting api cert and non cert amsoil is api cert has been and always will be the manufacturer says use what ever oil you need for your application 0w-40w what ever as long as you change it at the right interval the 0-40w depends on out side temp swing and load on the engine maybe i am missing the whole point but all i am saying is use what ever oil you like and what ever wieght your application calls for and you are good no warranty problems

The vehicle manufacturer tells you to use an API certified oil, within a certain viscosity grade (5w-30, 10w-30 etc). Amsoil's SAE series 5w-30 is recommended (by Amsoil) for vehicles, requiring API certified oil, but it isn't API certified. It doesn't have the little symbol on the bottle, nor can it pass the requirements to meet API. The SAE series oil is designed as an extended drain oil which has higher levels of Zinc. The higher Zinc levels prevent it from passing the API certs. The XL7500 6 month 7500 mile oil is API certified, and is your best defense against and warranty hassles.

Here's Amsoil's official opinion on API certification and warranty issues. (You decide for yourself) Last post!

Q. Why aren't all AMSOIL motor oils API licensed?

A. Good question. AMSOIL staffers have recently read some message boards with misinformation regarding this issue. Let us address API licensing in depth, as well as the issue of warranties. Some AMSOIL motor oils are API licensed, some are not. If you're concerned about your warranty and feel pressures to use an API licensed oil, even after reading this answer, then the 5W-30 (XLF), 5W-20 (XLM) or 10W-30 (XLT) XL-7500 or our 15W-40 (PCO) API licensed oils should be your choice. If you are looking for an alternative to frequent oil changes or just want the best performing oil for your car, then one of our top tier non-API licensed synthetic oils are for you. Read on, and decide for yourself.

API Licensing - Passenger Cars - What is it?

An API (American Petroleum Institute) license indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of laboratory bench, physical, chemical and engine tests. These tests were selected and minimum performance standards were set by the API Lubricants Committee to address specific areas such as engine wear, deposits, fuel economy, emissions, etc. The committee is comprised of representatives from automobile, oil and additive companies. The current specification is SJ/GF-2, and in July 2001 the first use of SL/GF-3 will begin.

Costs

The cost for running a test program for a single passenger car motor oil formulation is from $125,000 to $300,000, depending on if the formula passes the tests the first time through or requires multiple test runs or formula modifications to achieve a passing average. (That amount goes to $275,000 to $500,000 for a Heavy Duty Diesel licensing program on a specific formula.) Once that testing is complete and the formula has passed all of the minimum requirements, it can be licensed for $825 per year for non-members and $625 per year for members. There is also a small royalty fee per gallon sold for all gallons over one million. The length of time between new specifications is now approximately 2 to 3 years, which does not allow a great deal of time to recover testing costs.

Who Licenses What Formulas?

Additive companies, such as Lubrizol, Ethyl,, Infinium and Oronite, develop licensed formulas that they offer to oil companies to re-license. It is inexpensive to re-license one of these formulas, and the majority of oil companies choose to do this to avoid the costs associated with testing. This, however, tends to commoditize the market. The same chemistry is being sold under many brand names. Most of the major oil companies do have their own proprietary formulas developed, tested and licensed. All of AMSOIL INC.'s lubricant formulas are unique and proprietary.

Flexibility In Manufacturing An API Licensed Formula

API licensing was originally developed for mineral based oils, and it affords these oils more flexibility than synthetic oils.

Mineral oils comprised of group I and Group II petroleum basestocks may use a simple program called basestock interchange for added flexibility in manufacturing and purchasing. Interchange means that by completing the proper paperwork and running a few minor engine tests an oil company can choose to buy these petroleum basestocks from many different suppliers. This ensures adequate supply and competitive pricing. However, basestock interchange for Group III and V synthetic basestocks is not allowed. For example, if a formula was tested with an ester (Group V) basestock from a specific supplier, then anyone blending that formula must buy only that supplier's ester. Complete engine testing would need to be performed on the formula using another supplier's ester before an oil company could buy it from that alternative supplier. This additional testing is normally not performed because of the associated costs. This inflexibility makes it very difficult for synthetic lubricant manufacturers to negotiate prices with synthetic basestock suppliers. Click HERE for more information about Group I through Group V basestocks.

There is also something called viscosity grade read-across. Fortunately, this applies to both petroleum and synthetic basestocks although the better cold temperature performance of synthetics makes it more difficult to achieve in some situations. (That's another whole story.) What this means is that if you properly formulate the lubricant for which you have run all of the API tests, there are guidelines that allow you to use that same formula to make 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, etc. viscosity motor oil.

Finally, there is a rule for substitutions in the CMA (Chemical Manufacturers Association) code of practice that allows a small degree of flexibility for all formulas. It allows a company to change the percentages of components in the formula by varying amounts from the original formula with limited testing and paperwork requirements. For example, if the licensed formula used 10% of a certain V.I. improver, you would have the ability to utilize from 9% to 11% of the same V.I. improver for your formula.

Key Limitations For API Licensed Formulas

Phosphorous content - .10% maximum
(API SL; 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 viscosity grades, only)

NOACK volatility - 15% maximum

Click HERE for an explanation of NOACK Volatility

The prevalent sources of phosphorous in motor oils are additives called zinc dithiophosphates (ZDTPs). Currently, these versatile additives act as oxidation/corrosion inhibitors and aid in the ability of a lubricant to reduce wear. The automobile manufacturers, however, have demanded that lubricants contain a maximum of only .10% phosphorous. Their reason is that some manufacturers believe that higher phosphorous content levels will poison the catalytic converters on their cars before they reach 150,000 miles, which is the number of miles that their vehicles will be required to pass EPA emission standards. There has not been total agreement within the automotive and lubrication industry about whether phosphorous levels over .10% actually do harm catalytic converters in the long run. What they have failed to make allowances for is the NOACK volatility of an oil.

The maximum allowable NOACK volatility percentage for the new SL/GF-3 passenger car motor oil specification is 15%. Most of AMSOIL motor oils are in the 5% to 8% NOACK volatility range. Studies have shown there is a correlation between NOACK volatility, oil consumption and the amount of phosphorous from motor oil that will end up in the exhaust gasses. Therefore, oils with higher levels of phosphorous but with low volatility, such as AMSOIL motor oils, present no more risk to catalytic converters than low phosphorous oils with higher NOACK volatility. This has also been demonstrated for years in actual application through state mandated exhaust gas testing on our Dealers' and customers' high mileage vehicles using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils. State inspectors are continually amazed at the low emissions levels generated by vehicles using AMSOIL products. So much for poisoning catalytic converters.

AMSOIL INC. has determined that the reduced wear and extended drain intervals achievable with phosphorous levels higher than the API limit of .10% are real benefits for the consumer, and pose no risk to catalytic converters. AMSOIL motor oils, except for the API licensed XL-7500 5W-30, 5W-20 and 10W-30 viscosity grades, all have greater than .10% phosphorous levels, and therefore, cannot be API licensed.

Why Some AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils Are API Licensed And Some Are Not

1. Full API licensing puts AMSOIL INC. in an inflexible position. Not only would we find it necessary to buy formula components from specific vendors and be at the mercy of their pricing, we would not be able to make any major improvements to the lubricant formulas for 2 to 3 years, without new testing and the associated costs. To solve this problem, the API must establish basestock interchange guidelines for synthetic basestocks just as they have for other basestocks, as well as develop interchange guidelines for other components too.

2. Full API licensing would impose strict phosphorous limitations on our motor oils. This limitation is the main reason most AMSOIL motor oils are not API licensed. AMSOIL INC. currently disagrees with this limitation and feels strongly that the reduced wear and longer oil and additive life achieved through higher levels of properly balanced phosphorous content is more important than the arbitrary API phosphorous limit that does not give any consideration to the NOACK volatility level of an oil. When chemistry is developed that will provide superior engine wear protection with reduced phosphorous levels, or Noack volatility considerations are put in place, then the phosphorous level will become a non-issue.

Warranties And API Licensed Motor Oils

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will find against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans. If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil

- Ronald Reagan

jwiegel

Posted: 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Post #18

[/quote]Well I'm 99% sure im gonna go Amsoil but i cant decide on XL7500 5x20 or the 5w30. Any Input would be greatly appreciated.[quote]

like i said it is api certed so use the api certed oil were is the mis info getting in here you can find an api certed oil for your car any w you want so we are all good thanks for playing guess that oil i was going for hemi roy on still using blend oil and not syn with the using oem parts and stuff i am new to this and need to aim better i think and they are doing that lawer talk on the amsoil site the manufac can and will void your warranty if you do not do proper maint and document it no matter what product you use

K&N cold air intake
Superchips micro tuner
Ignite Push Button Start
Amsoil everywere
DENSO IL16 Iridium Plugs
Dynamat hood liner

Low temp stat
Bfg 285/70/17
Alpine head unit
Polk MOMO Speakers

1/4 Mile 17.15 SEC
0-60 9.32 SEC
176 hp 197 PK 44 mph

JamesJ2525

Posted: 02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
State: MS
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #19

Quote:

like i said it is api certed so use the api certed oil were is the mis info getting in here you can find an api certed oil for your car any w you want so we are all good thanks for playing guess that oil i was going for hemi roy on still using blend oil and not syn with the using oem parts and stuff i am new to this and need to aim better i think and they are doing that lawer talk on the amsoil site the manufac can and will void your warranty if you do not do proper maint and document it no matter what product you use
I read this 4 times and have no idea what you said. I am very good with grammar, I could tutor you?

Chill out a little bit , no one is forcing an oil on you. There are many people on here who have had great experiences with AMSOIL. If you have never had experience with AMSOIL then you are really in no position to talk down on it so much. Please, for our sake add some commas and periods to help us read your posts, otherwise your thoughts aren't gonna get very far.
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder

SilsHemi

Posted: 02-16-2005, 12:04 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
City: The Sticks
State: GA
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJ2525
I read this 4 times and have no idea what you said. I am very good with grammar, I could tutor you?

James,

After the first couple sentences I gave up. hehe

Amsoil is a very good oil. I use the 5w-30 full syn.
I'm extremely happy with it. I'll be changing my oil
every 5,000 miles or so.

Cooler temps when using syn is a big plus.

Sil
Closed Thread