Check engine code P1740? Torque converter clutch or overdrive? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

2low4me

Check engine code P1740? Torque converter clutch or overdrive? - Posted: 01-30-2005, 02:10 AM
State: NH
Post #1

My check engine light came on a few days ago and I did the ignition thing and brought up the code; it was P1740. My info states is as "Rationality error detected in either the torque converter clutch solenoid or overdrive solenoid systems."

So what in the heck does that mean exactly? Is this a true tranny problem or a bad solenoid?

Any experience with this? The truck seems to be driving fine, maybe running slightly higher rpm's (by about 200, but I can't remember the exact rpms I used to run at).
Color matched grille/bumper

2011 1500 RCSB Sport in Deep Water Blue
Stock LOL

1984 W350 crew cab shortbed
6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
Headers, dual Flowmasters
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RAM MAN

Posted: 01-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Originating Member
City: Haslett
State: MI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

what did you find out ?

2low4me

Posted: 01-30-2005, 05:17 PM
Post #3

I didn't find out anything yet!

I have an appt at the dealer on Wednesday and was trying to get more info before I dropped it off.

My gas mileage seems pretty bad, but since the light came on the truck has stopped unlocking the torque converter at highway speeds (which resulted in higher rpms then drop about 300 rpm and then jump back up again over and over). I thought it was because I'm running 35" tires with only 4.10 gears. For whatever reason that problem has gone away. Maybe the overdrive solenoid has burnt out?

Might also be time for a new TPS and an all-around tune up. My gas mileage is about 8.5!

So I guess no one has ever had this code huh!

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

DODGEIT

Posted: 01-30-2005, 09:51 PM
City: Sarasota Fl.
State: FL
Post #4

Chances are it is the torque converter solenoid. It is not allowing the TC to engage. It can allow for partial engagement of the TC Clutch but that will cause shudder which in time will destroy the TC. I had the solenoid go out in mine. It was causing the shudder. Had it fixed right away.

DODGEIT

Posted: 01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Post #5

Also if you are running it in O/D without the converter locking up you will fry the tranny as it does not pump oil back to the o/d unit without lock up.

2low4me

Posted: 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Do you remember how much it cost to replace the solenoid? Where is this solenoid located?

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's

DODGEIT

Posted: 01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Post #7

Mine was still under warranty. At the time they also replaced the boost place
and reconditioned the valve body. They have had problems with this solenoid and the boost plate so they do the who repair when they get one in. There is a TSB for this but I don't know the number.

2low4me

Posted: 02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DODGEIT
Also if you are running it in O/D without the converter locking up you will fry the tranny as it does not pump oil back to the o/d unit without lock up.
You speaketh the truth. Dodge has my truck and says I need a new torque converter, solenoids, and complete tranny seal kit. Tranny pressure was crazy low they said. Yesterday they took the tranny out and replaced all the seals and today they are going to replace the torque converter and solenoids.

$2500 and I will get my truck back.

Now I know what code P1740 really means.........$$$!

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's

Dodgevanman

Posted: 02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

If the pressue was as low as they said I doubt the transmission would shift at all. I wonder if they are pulling your leg. A complete seal kit to replace the TC & solenoids? Sounds like a lot of seals just to do that. To replace every seal would require some major dismantling of the transmission. I don't know I'm just skeptical of what the dealer says sometimes. I called to get prices for new trans. cooler lines for my Ram Van and they tried to sell me a bunch of other stuff they said "had" to be replaced. I said "No thanks!"

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975

2low4me

Posted: 02-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Post #10

Trust me, i hate the dealer. But the only other tranny guys in town are crooks too.

The seal kit alone was $355, torque converter $300 and "pump package" was $300. Then about $1000 in labor. So they did replace all the seals as far as I know. About $2000 for the trans stuff, and I had a few other things done too to bring the total to $2500.

I doubt they would want to take my tranny apart just to make a buck, but who knows.

Everything that DODGEIT said seemed to happen to me, to the point of frying the tranny seals. The dealership said pretty much the same things.

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
Closed Thread