Air bleed in Cooling system - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

jarheadX2

Air bleed in Cooling system - Posted: 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
State: MO
Post #1

Guys help needed here. 2002 Ram 1500 4.7. Replaced lower radiator hose and Thermostat gasket because it was leaking right at the housing. Fixed it, no leaks. Now truck is overheating.

Let it cool, pulled the cap and let it run for a good 15 minutes. No fluid came to the top or spilled out and the temp gauge was climbing way above normal again before I shut it off. Going to try and get the front end up on an uphill slant and find the bleeder valve. Wasn't exactly sure where it was? I did turn the heat on full just before I shut the truck off and it was blowing good heat. But, wondering if that was from the motor being so hot or the thermostat actually opened and normal heat was flowing through.

Thanks guys. New here but plan on sticking around for awhile.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MonsoonMike

Posted: 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
City: Chandler
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

What you should do is drill a tiny hole in your Thermostat.

What is happening is when you fill it up - the air from the rest of the system/block fill us behind the thermostat and creating a HUGE pocket of air. You think it's full cause the fluid is at the cap.

The tiny hole in the T-Stat will allow the air to purge up!

Old School hot rod tip there!

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

MonsoonMike

Posted: 11-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
Post #3

jarheadX2

Posted: 11-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Post #4

Isn't that what the little brass fitting deal is for on the thermostat?

MonsoonMike

Posted: 11-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
Post #5

Ah, so you did get one with the tear drop brass plug..

devans

Posted: 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM
State: RI
Post #6

The bleeder valve as you called it is on the drivers side and looks like a set screw. You will need an allen wrench to remove it. Oh and the vent that's built into the thermostat should be in the 12 o'clock position.

Black '02 QC 4x4
4.7 auto
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee TCM mod
Vent visors over the windows
Stainless Nerf Bars salvaged from scrap yard and modified to fit.
Lockable billet fuel door.
K&N air filter
Painted grille (had a chrome one)
Color matched headlights (black)

Looking to do,
Tonneau cover
Cab lights
Tow mirrors
Headache rack with LED lighting (Homemade in process)
Factory fog lights
And the list goes on.
Other than that mostly stock.

btg0002

Posted: 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
War Eagle!
City: Hoover
State: AL
Post #7

I had a similar issue with my truck when I swapped the tstat out. I ended up having to fill the system with coolant at the bleeder valve as the air was not allowing the coolant in the radiator to get into the engine block. you might want to open up the bleeder valve (it will be, as said above, an allen wrench screw on the inlet for the radiator hose coming out of the drivers' side of the engine and top of the radiator and see if you have fluid in there. when I pulled my bleeder screw there was none in there and like I said I had to fill it up from this opening
PERFORMANCE: l jba shortie headers l hypertech max power programmer l Jet 180 tstat l e3 spark plugs l K&N CAI l magnaflow cat back dual exhaust l fastman ported TB l RP engine oil and rear diff fluid l bluetooth ODBII adapter for Torque app l
SUSPENSION: l 3 inch lift spindles l 2 inch coil spacer l bilstein 4600 shocks front l monroe load leveling shocks rear l TGC 1.5" rear lift blocks l 5" total lift front, 2.5" total lift rear l
APPEARANCE: l rhino lined bed l tonnomax tri fold bed cover l bed lined fender flares, rockers, bumpers l big mouth rivet grille l led tail lights l lamin-x tails and 3rd l led everything l HID heads and fogs l HID reverse lights l led reverse flood lights l debadged l hood spears l tinted windows l audio system l black headlights l black billet 15" stubby antenna l daytona tail light covers l
WHEELS/TIRES:l 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler l OEM 17s plastidipped black l

jarheadX2

Posted: 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Post #8

Okay. I'll give it a try. Very frustrating. Upper hose is hot, lower hose is cold when idiling. Blows hot air. But with overflow/radiator cap off, there is not a gurgling or rise and fall of the fluid. It's moving through the overflow. Stays at the same level constantly, but continues to overheat.

MonsoonMike

Posted: 11-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
Post #9

That sounds like an air pocket for sure!

jarheadX2

Posted: 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Okay guys, unscrewed the bleeder valve and fluid came pouring out like a fountain. Had overflow/radiator cap off also. Drained 1/2 the overflow out before putting the bleeder valve back on. Any suggestions?

Very frustrated. Went from just fixing a small leak with t'stat gasket repair to overheating issues that weren't there before.

Ram_Wagon

Posted: 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM
City: Columbus
State: IN
View This User's Garage
Post #11

Go to parts store (NAPA, AutoZone, Advanced Auto, wherever!) And get yourself one of these....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ntent=22970131

Worht it's weight in GOLD!!! Especially for Mopar products. And well, I've used it on every vehicle I added coolant to!

Get one! Not that expensive, Reall!!

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QuadCab Shortbed 5.9L H.O. CUMMINS Turbo Diesel

(Keeping the "Mods" SECRET for my own Personal Amusement!)

jarheadX2

Posted: 11-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Post #12

That's great for capturing the fluid but how does
that solve my air bleed problem? Or did the trapped air just
push fluid out of bleeder. I capped it thinking the whole
system was going to drain out

Ram_Wagon

Posted: 11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #13

You attach this funnel to the radiator, where the cap goes. Fill the funnel about halfway then start the engine. You may have to put the "stick" inside the funnel in order to build a little pressure (BE CAREFUL with this step!!!) and therefore create some heat. If the engine is already warm, the thermostat (assuming it works) will open slowly at that point. Just let her idle for some time. Not sure how long to tell you, but you'll see air escape out the funnel.

The funnel, being HIGHER than anything else in the radiator/engine/cooling system will creat some Head Pressure to basically allow gravity to do it's thing. Any air will be forced by that head pressure thru the system. The trapped air will escape to the highest point, in this case, the funnel.

Once all air has been bled, insert the "stick" back in to plug the funnel (With the engine OFF!) and unscrew the funnel from the Rad. Pour the rest of coolant into overflow, by removing stick in funnel over the overflow tank, and top off tank to HOT mark.

I really shouod do a "How To" with pics, but this isn't that hard. Again, the funnel is the highest point, much higher than Rad, Engine and Heater Core with this set-up.

Ram_Wagon

Posted: 11-05-2013, 10:15 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #14

Try this video. Not mine, but EXACTLY what you need to do!!

dmcelhannon

Posted: 11-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #15

Get the nose of the up while it's at idle. If you don't, you run the risk of trapping air in the heater core or the top of the cylinder heads.

Are you sure the t-stat is in right?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.7L T-Stat.jpg (36.1 KB, 40 views)

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 41-Days and Counting! ~

jarheadX2

Posted: 11-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Post #16

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to start over and drain it and make sure I did get that brass plug on the t'stat at the 12 o'çlock position and reburb the system again. Not sure what esle it could be at this point besides possibly bad t'stat positioning or bad t'stat in general.

d_layne

Posted: 11-06-2013, 08:01 AM
DERRICK
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #17

If you use the funnel you can squeeze the upper radiator hose to try to get some air pockets out.

JBA HEADERS CONTACT INFORMATION

The mod bug, once infected there is no cure.

MILITARY TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #155

2007 RAM 1500 4x4 4.7

20x9 XD Badlands -12 offset, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20, Bilstein 5100's, Drilled&Slotted Rotors, OEM Rear Wheel Liners, Radco Tonneau Cover, Locking Tailgate Handle, AVS Window Visors, 21" Stubbie Antenna, OEM Chrome Grille Inserts, Triple Gauge Pillar, Auto Meter Ultra Lite Wideband, Nitrous Press, Trans Temp, Diff Temp Gauge, Pioneer AVH X4500BT, Custom 2 DIN Bezel, Backup Camera, Hella 700ff w/ PIAA 100w H3 Night-Tech, Smoked Recon LED Tails, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Oracle LED Strips(interior), 4 Oracle Flush Mount Switches/Custom Switch Bezel, SRP Racing Pedals, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

NX Proton Plus, NGK Racing Plugs, HO Cams, Volant CAI w/ Custom Ram Air, SCT(X3) Tuned by Flyin Ryan, AirRam Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14" Dumped, Optima Red Top Battery, Flex a lite 183 E-Fan, Jet 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, AirRam TB Adapter, F&B 72MM TB, SRT8 IAT Sensor, Mag-Hytech Tans Pan & Diff Cover, 1 Ton Trans Cooler, Motive 4.56, OEM LSD, BT Catch Can

Waiting to be installed: 3200 Street Edge TC, Killians P&P Heads, Beehive Springs, ARP Head Studs, Hydro Boost Brakes.

Wish List: Diamond Racing Pistons, SCAT H-Beam Rods, Forged Crankshaft.

MonsoonMike

Posted: 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
Post #18

The Spill Free Funnel is a great tool. I've always wanted one. Adding it to my Christmas list now!

Closed Thread