Heating Problems, Blows hot sometimes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Rambronco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Heating Problems, Blows hot sometimes

I have a 06 Power Wagon and having some heating issues. It wasn't really getting very hot inside. It has pas/driver heat controls but they seem to work as they should. Figured it was thermostat, changed that, still same issues. When I go to work in the morning, about a 45 min. drive, never gets very warm at all. When truck sits for awhile, then drive it, it gets hot as it's supposed to. A/C doesn't blow as cold as it should either. Temperature guage is where it is supposed to be and rad hoses get hot. Rad cap seems kinda cold. I put the oem thermostat in. Could it be a air lock? Heater core maybe plugged a bit? Truck has alot of miles, 215k but has no other issues and runs great.

2003 Ram 2500, Hemi, 35's
Power Wagon Conversion Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM
orvtenn
+ Hemi Addict +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If all the hoses get hot and the temp comes up where it should be then it is most likely the heater core.

2004 1500 SLT RC/SB 4x4 Hemi 5.7
2006 Grand Caravan 3.3L
#3 Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Sounds like the level is low.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

#4 Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Rambronco

(Thread Starter)
Fluid level is good. I noticed last night that passenger side was blowing hot, drivers side wasn't always hot. Problem seems to be on drivers side, it has dual heat controls for driver passenger. Can this be a vacuum problem? Passenger side seems to work fine

2003 Ram 2500, Hemi, 35's
Power Wagon Conversion Project
#5 Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 PM
nh5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambronco View Post
Fluid level is good. I noticed last night that passenger side was blowing hot, drivers side wasn't always hot. Problem seems to be on drivers side, it has dual heat controls for driver passenger. Can this be a vacuum problem? Passenger side seems to work fine
Vacuum does not play a role in the system, I've had this problem for a while, took apart my heater box confirmed all my doors were functioning normally and still have had a bit of a issue. However it has improved drastically since I had my timing cover gasket replaced as I was loosing a small amount of coolant through it.

02 Ram 1500 QC 4X4 Sport 5.9L Magnum, EQ Iron RAM Heads, 52mm Fastman TB, ebay Shorty Headers, Magnaflow 12576, SRT Hood, 180deg Stat, Superchips 3815, Taylor Thundervolt Wires, E-Cutout, SUPERSHAFTS Rearend, Detroit Tru Trac & 3.92's, rvinyl'd tail lights, led's all over, leds in tow mirrors, switchbacks, 6k HID's Hi/low + fogs, RE XXX components (front doors), Skar 5.25 components rear doors, Sundown audio SAX 125.4, Kenwood X995, DC Audio M3 8, DC 1.2k, RAAMMat throughout the cab and doors, blue led dash, new carpet, moog joints, Bilstein HD's.

Next, 17rr's 2200 stall TC

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/1943/009sq.jpg
#6 Old 11-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Ram_Wagon

Need to pressure check your cooling system. No more than 16 psi! But see if there is a leak.

2nd, you need to make absolutely sure the blend doors and/or mode doors in the HVAC box are working properly. I've never experienced this myself (knocks vigorously on wood!) but I seem to recall a few threads here & CumminsForum that mention Ram's and their blend door issues.

Be worth searching for....? :thumbsup:

2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 QuadCab Shortbed 5.9L H.O. CUMMINS Turbo Diesel

(Keeping the "Mods" SECRET for my own Personal Amusement!)

#7 Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Do a search on the Blend Door.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram HVAC Box.jpg (45.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Ram HVAC Box - Front.jpg (42.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Ram HVAC Explode View.jpg (18.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Top half of the Blend Door System.jpg (26.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom half of the Blend Door System - Heater core is sandwiched in-between.jpg (34.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-07-29_194216_heater.jpg (51.1 KB, 0 views)

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.