Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500) - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

frankh911

Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500) - Posted: 01-16-2005, 08:48 AM
City: Fairview, TN
Post #1

My cruise control light will come on, but nothing else works. I know this is typically a vacum line problem, but I have looked at all of the vacum lines that I can see and they look good. This is not to say that I missed one somewhere, because I'm not sure which one(s) the cruise control uses?? Is there anything else I can check? Where is the actual cruise control unit?

Frank
Nashville, TN
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

DODGEIT

Posted: 01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
City: Sarasota Fl.
State: FL
Post #2

First find the servo that accuates the throttle for the cruise control. Once found trace the vacumm line attached to it back to the throttle body to see if there are any leaks in it. If the servo is located under the battery chances are the battery has allowed some of it's content to leak down on the hose and eat through it. This is a common problem since Dodge mounts the servo on some models under the battery. I had to cut out a small section and put a small section of rubber vacumm hose in it's place on my 2001 Ram. If your is the same way chances are this is where the problem lies. Start the truck and listen for a leak in this area. Run your hand around the line to see if you can feel the leak. I found mine on the underside of the line.

RammerV-10

Posted: 01-17-2005, 08:07 AM
State: MD
Post #3

Also, look for where the cable from the cruise control connects to the throttle body. I had some A/C work done and they accidentally bumped it loose.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

LARRY BARLOW

Posted: 01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
dodgeman6501
City: Medford ,OR
Post #4

There Is Also A Switch On The Brake If A Stick On The Clutch Pedal

Magnum5.9

RE: Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500) - Posted: 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Hemi Nation
City: Lake Villa
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

I had the same issue with my '99 1500 and it turned out to be a faulty brake sensor that was keeping the cruise control from triggering. It's a long shot, but perhaps something to consider in addition to the other ideas posted previously.

Silver Truck Club - Member #130
Dodgetalk.com 345 Enthusiast - Member #35
Hella's Behind the Grille Club - Member #01
4WD Club - Member #10

FORMER ~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #22 ~

frankh911

Posted: 01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the information. I found the servo under the battery, but that is about all I have had time to do. Looks like I have several things to check this weekend. I let you guys know what I find.

frankh911

Posted: 01-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Post #7

It was indeed the servo. I fixed it some time ago, but am just now getting around to reply. The vacum hose was cracked where it goes into the servo. It took quite a while to fix as I had to remove the battery and the battery tray, which has some hidden bolts in the wheel well itself. Once I pulled the old piece of hose from the server and spliced a new piece in, everthing works like a champ. What a STUPID design...

Frank
Nashville, TN
Closed Thread