Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500) - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 AM
frankh911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500)

My cruise control light will come on, but nothing else works. I know this is typically a vacum line problem, but I have looked at all of the vacum lines that I can see and they look good. This is not to say that I missed one somewhere, because I'm not sure which one(s) the cruise control uses?? Is there anything else I can check? Where is the actual cruise control unit?

Frank
Nashville, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
DODGEIT

First find the servo that accuates the throttle for the cruise control. Once found trace the vacumm line attached to it back to the throttle body to see if there are any leaks in it. If the servo is located under the battery chances are the battery has allowed some of it's content to leak down on the hose and eat through it. This is a common problem since Dodge mounts the servo on some models under the battery. I had to cut out a small section and put a small section of rubber vacumm hose in it's place on my 2001 Ram. If your is the same way chances are this is where the problem lies. Start the truck and listen for a leak in this area. Run your hand around the line to see if you can feel the leak. I found mine on the underside of the line.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn QC 4x4
#3 Old 01-17-2005, 08:07 AM
RammerV-10

Also, look for where the cable from the cruise control connects to the throttle body. I had some A/C work done and they accidentally bumped it loose.
#4 Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
LARRY BARLOW
dodgeman6501

There Is Also A Switch On The Brake If A Stick On The Clutch Pedal
#5 Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Magnum5.9
Hemi Nation

RE: Cruise Control comes on but does not work (98 Ram 1500)

I had the same issue with my '99 1500 and it turned out to be a faulty brake sensor that was keeping the cruise control from triggering. It's a long shot, but perhaps something to consider in addition to the other ideas posted previously.

Previous Truck: Purple 99 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4x2
Current Truck: Silver 2005 Ram 1500 QC SLT Hemi 4x4 SOLD

Silver Truck Club - Member #130
Dodgetalk.com 345 Enthusiast - Member #35
Hella's Behind the Grille Club - Member #01
4WD Club - Member #10

FORMER ~DodgeTalk.com 360MAGNUM Enthusiast Member #22 ~
#6 Old 01-18-2005, 10:11 PM
frankh911

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the information. I found the servo under the battery, but that is about all I have had time to do. Looks like I have several things to check this weekend. I let you guys know what I find.
#7 Old 01-08-2006, 04:46 PM
frankh911

(Thread Starter)
It was indeed the servo. I fixed it some time ago, but am just now getting around to reply. The vacum hose was cracked where it goes into the servo. It took quite a while to fix as I had to remove the battery and the battery tray, which has some hidden bolts in the wheel well itself. Once I pulled the old piece of hose from the server and spliced a new piece in, everthing works like a champ. What a STUPID design...

Frank
Nashville, TN
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.