Long time lurker..Now Check engine light - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

LandRaider

Long time lurker..Now Check engine light - Posted: 01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
City: Ocean Springs
State: MS
Post #1

My 95 SWB Ram has recently been giving me some SES or check engine lights. I am a chevy guy to the bone, but this didge truck is so nice that I just can't bring myself to sell it. It is totally stock save for the bed cover, and wind deflectors. ANYWAY!

I did the key on off 3 times trick, and get these error codes.

12 which is the battery disconnected...
55 being the end of the codes.

The info I have gotten has been kinda vauge and the same code can have multiple meanings. anyone know whats up with this thing??

Runs pretty darn good and I do not have ANY trouble with it other than that SES lamp comming on after about 30 miles of driving. Goes off if you restart the truck.

BTW My 9.25 rear diff is what brought me here. Pinion nut backed off, pinion pulled into ring gear and case.. bang crunch. Believe it or not, I was able to beat on the gears, and get the chunks out of them good enough to put new pinion bearings in it, and set the gears back up to run a pattern just for grins. There was only 1 questionable spot, and it has since worked it's way out. Yeeehaw.. redneck rebuild. hah has held up for 9k miles so far

Thanks in advance guys!!
Advertisement

LandRaider

Posted: 01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Dang guys?? no one??

DODGEIT

Posted: 01-16-2005, 08:55 PM
City: Sarasota Fl.
State: FL
Post #3

Go to http://www.obdii.com/codes.html to dechipher the codes you received.

LandRaider

Posted: 01-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Post #4

Uhhh My truck is OBD1 man.

JamesJ2525

Posted: 01-16-2005, 10:18 PM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

17: Engine temperature too high or too low while traveling. Check coolant level, radiator cap, temperature sensor, and thermostat.

37: Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or Trans temp sensor too high or low, Open or short in CKT wiring or connectors. Voltage out of range at transmission temperature sensor input. From the 1995 TRUCK (Ram) manuals: the trailer towing package includes a transmission coolant temp sensor while the standard package doesn't. The fault code detection system is probably the same for both models. This could cause the low (no) voltage indication....no sensor to send any voltage.

51: O2 sensor signal indicates lean air/fuel ratio during engine operation. The computer ran the mixture to the rich limit of programming, but the O2 sensor still indicated a lean condition. L or R indicate left or right side O2 sensor. Fuel pressure problems can lean the mixture and set this fault.

Thermostat issue maybe? Or a bad O2 sensor?
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Jay1500offroad

Posted: 02-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Post #6

is there a way to tell why the check engine light is on???
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

98QuadCabV10

Posted: 02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
EPA's Worst Nightmare
City: Washougal, WA
State: WA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1500offroad
is there a way to tell why the check engine light is on???
The check engine light comes on when there is a failure in the system that would cause the vehicle to fail emissions by 1.5 times the limit.

LandRaider

Posted: 01-24-2006, 03:24 AM
Post #8

My truck is Still doing this, and has not changed.

I was going to take an afternoon to change the thermostat, cap and rotor, but when I got in there, and took a look I just laughed, and decided that would be a project for a later day.

I have since moved this truck from #2 daily driver to #1, and really need to get this thing running right.

More info.

It runs REALLY rich at idle, and kinda stumbles off idle when accelerating. Check engine light comes on after anywhere from 15-30 miles of driving. I changed the spark plugs, and plug wires, with no change in performance.

Compared to my 5.7 96 tahoe this 5.2 is a turd. Any suggestions for a magic 100 hp increase?

Ardog

Posted: 01-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Mopar or No Car!
City: Grandville
State: MI
Post #9

Maybe the 5.2 is a "turd" next to the 5.7 ta-ho but I'd bet my left nard that that "turd" will be running long after that 5.7 is a boat anchor! Its not gonna run right if its not reaching proper operating temp or the O2 sensor is bad. get it fixed and it will probably run circles around the ta-HO!
Red Truck Club Member #55

LandRaider

Posted: 02-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Got it whipped

I replaced the Coolant temp sensor, Air intake temp Sensor, and the Oxygen sensor.

Truck runs great now. No rich running! No SES light!!

Previous milage was 5mpg city, and 13 mpg highway. Ill post the gains when I get the checks done! Thanks all.