Another '03 Hemi "Losing power / cutting out" case - Page 5 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

post #81 of 84 Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
jeffkrol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 84 Old 09-22-2013, 01:05 PM
jfotsch

Hemi going into "limp mode"

Has anyone else had this problem that you know of? Hope you got your new truck but i also hope you found out what your problem was. I have the 04 hemi and have changed out plugs, pcv, throttle body and the map sensor like was suggested and the problem persists.

This is vegas so it can't be moisture causing it. It does not happen all of the time and when it does I just let off of the gas for a second as if I were letting the tranny shift and it is still running fine but will not rev up.

Like you were saying I am tired of throwing money at the truck and just want a solution. My next step is to change out 02 sensors pre and post. Do you think this could have been the problem with your truck?

Any ideas would help at this point! Thanks!!!

By the way mine was made in Nov. of 03 if that makes any difference!
post #83 of 84 Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM
MonsoonMike
Site Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The battery was a good thing. Dodges hate the low AMPS. Not really related to the voltage. The system needs AMPS and if it's not high enough, the system acts ALL weird.

I was reading this entire thread and it got me to a thing I did a few years back. Wasn't a Dodge, but Honda has this problem up the ARSE! Bad ignition tumblers. After years they wear out and connections become iffy. Causing low power and 'stalling'.

Here is what you can do to test this.

Start the truck and just sit there and giggle the key back and forth.. Up and down, do it for a few moments. If the truck stalls/dies.... found your problem.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

post #84 of 84 Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 PM
jfotsch

Thanks for the input! I have one of those vector battery reconditioners and have been able to keep my factory battery and a backup going all of this time. It is possible given what you are saying that the battery acts fine but internally may not have the amperage to keep the system happy. Just put my backup battery on the charger; it goes through a process that takes about 2 days. Batteries in vegas only last about 3 years and they are done. So maybe my charger is okay for other cars because my wife's mazda still is working off of the factory battery and it is an 02 model.

Gonna give the "key jiggle" thing a try too. There were a few years there where I had a few too many keys on with my ignition key and I have heard these tumblers of today do not like any extra weight.

Still can't see where or why the truck would go into limp or protective mode while accelerating going down the road, but these things have way too many electronics for me.

I would almost rather have something pre-catalytics with points and condenser and if the truck hadn't been so good to me for the last 8 years I would probably be ready to trade her in.

Thanks for the advice. Will keep trying. The stealership is trying to sell me a bell crank for pedal position for almost 400 bucks just for the part!!!
post #85 of 84 Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM
jfotsch

The thought of it maybe being a problem in the ignition switch was driving me crazy!!! Went out there and jiggled every which way but straight out and she still sat there purring like a good girl.
Will swap out the battery when the desulfation process is done with my back-up and if that does not fix it I will be looking for pre and post cat sensors. Heard the Bosch or not good for these trucks. So no Autozone for that one. Where can I find OEM sensors. There were not any for the hemi on ebay, just the cummins!
post #86 of 84 Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
MonsoonMike
Site Moderator

Good question on the OEM sensors.

I've have yet to replace any of mine. I'd start with Ebay. But the dealer might be the best place. On Ebay make sure they are the MOPAR ones for sure.

and to add, yes Bosch sensors on these trucks do more harm than good.
Very odd. I associate Bosch with a very good electrical company.

post #87 of 84 Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
MonsoonMike
Site Moderator

I am not sure on the price, maybe someone who has replaced them can chime in, but on Ebay, I'd look for this type of picture to insure it's a Mopar Brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Mopa...#ht_267wt_1172

post #88 of 84 Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM
jfotsch

04 hemi cutting out on acceleration

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I have not been keeping up with the Dodge talk at all because I have not been modifying or had any problems with the truck at all except for it likes to warp rotors and the egr a few years back. So I noticed a couple of remarks on my posts that I am about way out of the know as far as threads. I just want to apologize for not being up to speed with the forum. Am doing some reading on it though! Only have 76k on it but it is 9 years old and this, from what I hear is about the time things like sensors start to go out. My battery reconditioner is still churning in the garage so when it is done I will pop the back-up battery in and see if it is a problem with the current as you suggested!!! Thanks again!!!
post #89 of 84 Old 11-08-2013, 01:26 PM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

A 3.00 ground strap on the back of the heads to body does wonders

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply