2006 dodge ram hemi-oil consumption - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
01sltgrey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 dodge ram hemi-oil consumption

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram hemi quad cab big horn 4x4 with MDS. Truck has 91500 miles, I picked it up when it had 61000 miles. Truck is using a lot of oil. I'm running synthetic 5w-30 (on the advise of my mechanic to help with the oil use.) The truck runs fine, no other symptoms other then the oil consumption. I changed the oil, and towed my travel trailer about 100 miles. I checked the oil level and it was barely on the dipstick. I have changed the PCV valve and intake seals and that helped a little. The truck is not leaking oil and doesn't smell like burning oil. Recently I started running the truck full time in "tow/haul", and this has almost completely stopped the oil consumption. I've been "googling" the Hemi and MDS and trying to make a connection between the oil consumption and the MDS system without success. Can someone shed light on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM
wyat72
PAID OFF!!!

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Try switching to conventional oil. My wife's car consumed a descent amount of oil (about 2.5qts per 3000) until I switched to conventional. Now it consumes about 1qt per 3000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Truck: 08, Ram, 1500, HEMI, QuadCab, Big Horn, 4x4, Inferno Red, Chrome Grill, Chrome Molding, Chrome 20s

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289
#3 Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The MDS is not the direct cause of the oil consumption (it HAS been blamed for global warming, both world wars and many other horrible occurrences). You should probably change mechanics and go back to the 5W-20 oil.

If it isn't leaking, it must be burning or getting into the coolant (not a good thing). That much oil consumption in 100 miles is insane! Get someone who can run a compression test. I'm no expert, but that sounds like a serious ring problem.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

#4 Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM
06ramhemi
CircleD Stacked & FRi'D

Mines been burning 1.5-2 every 4000 miles since 35k. Still runs like a champ with 130k hard miles. I run Castrol Full Synthetic 5-20

06 QC Hemi NA Record Holder
12.56 Record run Tuned By HEMIFEVER
Now Wheatley Tuned
#5 Old 07-04-2013, 12:24 AM
86bcook
Skid's Customz

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[QUOTE=wyat72;4650282]Try switching to conventional oil. My wife's car consumed a descent amount of oil (about 2.5qts per 3000) until I switched to conventional. Now it consumes about 1qt per 3000 miles.

x2... ive had several vehicles that burned synthetic oil once i switched. if its not ran in it from the git-go than it will burn it. castrol gtx for me!!!

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

#6 Old 07-04-2013, 01:49 AM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I think DCX guidelines indicate one quart per 900-miles is acceptable. I'd have a fit. I have also read that DCX says carbon build-up gets on the valve seats and cause them to warp which cause the engine to burn too much oil. A number of DT members have said it's the design of PVC system and if you add a catch-can, it will keep the engine cleaner, as well as, help it burn cleaner.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish Foundation's Raffle

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee Thread Link

Click the Superbee link to see the whole timeline thread....

#7 Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Not to jack a thread but....I thought that you couldn't make fit a catch can on a Hemi because of the PCV design dmcelhannon?
Al.

03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi SLT
5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm
#8 Old 07-04-2013, 02:44 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGHemi View Post
Not to jack a thread but....I thought that you couldn't make fit a catch can on a Hemi because of the PCV design dmcelhannon?
Al.
It's year dependent. Go to Matt's web site (Moe's Performance) and he list the years the can will work on.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

#9 Old 07-04-2013, 04:30 PM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
2003 is a no go for me bro unfortunately

03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi SLT
5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm
#10 Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPGHemi View Post
2003 is a no go for me bro unfortunately
Yea, the 02 and 03's seem to always be the 'redheaded step-child' for everything cool.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#11 Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM
cody105

I've got an 06 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I just had the same problem 2 days ago, it started to idle a little rough so when I checked the oil, it was down almost 2-1/2-1 liters! It dropped in less than 500 km! I haven't had a chance to look at it since I noticed it on christmas eve, hopefully today ill get a chance

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport HEMI 4x4

Exterior Mods - Bilstein 5100's front, 6000k HID headlights and fogs, Recon LED tail Lights w/LED Reverse lights, LEER bed cap, RBP Black locking fuel door, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, LED marker lights, 2013 HEMI Badges, Mag-Hytec Rear diff cover, Transfer Case skid plate, Line-X Bed Liner, KC Slimlites 130w Spot set/ 100w Driving set, Rigid Industries Dually Flush Mount Flood Lights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, Factory Mopar Tow Mirrors, RandyEllisDesign lightbar mount, Kleinn HK4 Air horn kit,

Interior Mods - Autometer pillar gauge pod, Phantom II Trans and Water temp gauges, LED Dome lights

Performance Mods - Airaid CAI System, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, 180 Jet T-Stat, Superchips Flashpaq 3840, PowerStop Heavy Duty Truck Pads/Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, ProComp Stainless Steel Brake Line Extensions

Suspension/Tires - Zone 6" Lift, MT Black Classic III's, 35/12/5/17 MT ATZ P3's
#12 Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
cody105

Well I dumped the oil today and looked the truck over. No exessive oil in the intake. Couldn't find any issues. I'm not sure if it had something to do with the weather we've been having, freezing cold with a ton of freezing rain mixed in lol I'm thinking maybe the humidity build up in the breather hoses and let the crankcase pressure build up and dump the oil out, I've seen it happen before at work. Called up napa, and they wanted $56 for a new pvc valve, so I'm gonna call the dealer first. Gonna keep a close eye on everything after this oil change and see how it goes.

Exterior Mods - Bilstein 5100's front, 6000k HID headlights and fogs, Recon LED tail Lights w/LED Reverse lights, LEER bed cap, RBP Black locking fuel door, Bushwacker Pocket Flares, LED marker lights, 2013 HEMI Badges, Mag-Hytec Rear diff cover, Transfer Case skid plate, Line-X Bed Liner, KC Slimlites 130w Spot set/ 100w Driving set, Rigid Industries Dually Flush Mount Flood Lights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, Factory Mopar Tow Mirrors, RandyEllisDesign lightbar mount, Kleinn HK4 Air horn kit,

Interior Mods - Autometer pillar gauge pod, Phantom II Trans and Water temp gauges, LED Dome lights

Performance Mods - Airaid CAI System, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, 180 Jet T-Stat, Superchips Flashpaq 3840, PowerStop Heavy Duty Truck Pads/Drilled and slotted rotors front and rear, ProComp Stainless Steel Brake Line Extensions

#13 Old 12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
MikeHTally
Got 2 Hemis

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You can clean the PCV valve. I've cleaned both of mine many times. That much oil "dumped out" sounds like a leak.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

#14 Old 12-26-2013, 08:24 PM
cody105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
You can clean the PCV valve. I've cleaned both of mine many times. That much oil "dumped out" sounds like a leak.
That's the thing, I can't find any leak. Antifreeze quality is perfect and level doesn't change. The truck never burns oil, oil changes every 5000 km, and always synthetic. Just out of nowhere the oil level dropped after I dove it through some extreme weather changes.

#15 Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM
HemiLonestar
Red Trucker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine generally doesn't drop unless I've been flogging the truck. I check it ALOT at 140,000 miles, so I catch it even when it starts to drop.

2006 Charger R/T & 2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition "Big Red"
SRT-10 suspension, brakes and interior parts, Circle D, Bilsteins, Superchips, AiRaid, Taylor shorties, McGaughy's shackles, Borla cat-back, Goodyear 305/50R20 GTII's, Extang Tonneau, Sonnax, Power wire, Daytona lip, tow mirrors, SRT hood.
Mods to come: 06+ coil conversion, Comp 260 install, 05 PCM conversion.

Sarcasm - it beats killing people.
#16 Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 PM
crasher76
Im wired!!!

BS on the catch can not working on certain years.

Black 2003 QC SB SLT 4x4 Offroad 5.7L HEMI, Original Owner 3.92 LSD, 260 cam, 6.1 Rods/Springs, Home Ported/Polished Heads, Psc1, 04 Map sensor and Fuel pump assembly, Oil pressure guage, Amsoil, Champs, MSD 8.5MM Full length Wires, Transgo HD w/out resistor, Superchip, 180 T-Stat, K/N 77 Series, Ceramic Flowtech headers with Y-Pipe, Stage 8 locks, Ditched the cat, O2 sensor mod, Jack Rabbit bed cover, Sprayed bed liner, Big Mouth Grill-Black, Blackend Headlights/Tails, Silverstar ultras, Ditched all chrome, Custom 10's sub enclosure, Upgraded 160 amp alt, Window tint, Relocated purge valve, Energy suspension bushings, Rear spring clamps, Rebuilt front suspension, Ditched Sway Bar, Passport 8500 Radar Detector, Ditched the baby seat- kid wasnt mine, Cigarette burn in the seat mod, Debadged, Custom Rewired/Properly Grounded.
#17 Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasher76 View Post
BS on the catch can not working on certain years.
X2 ... there's no CC made for 4.7L engine but one members made his own setup. He's seeing the same amount oil in the CC as the Hemi folks.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.