shift indicator woes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

05es

shift indicator woes - Posted: 12-15-2004, 06:24 PM
City: Escanaba,MI
State: NE
Post #1

Hello all new to this forum. i have just purchased a 05 caravan ES love the vehicle 3.3L runs great the problem i am having is the shift indicator lights are messed up,when starting the vehicle all the little orange lights under the letters are lit, might i add i have the standard instrument cluster. anyway, when you shift the trans from park to reverse just the reverse light indicator lights just as it is suppose to but, when you go to neutral all the lamps light again. shift to drive just the drive light goes on ,when you shift to 3 or low the indicator stays in D if you work the shift lever back and forth thru the gears several times,it may,it may not work. took it to the dealer and they put trans relay in it,reset the PCM, tested the range sensor. they called and said come and pick it up.. when i got there i used my spare key and checked it before i went inside and it still didnt work! the service manager said they were aware it wasnt fixed and that they called the star service must be some type of tech support and the said it was an ignition switch problem. apparently the ignition switch is leaking voltage to something internally.. oh before i forget they come up with a code PO706, chech shifter signal... its going in again tomorrow for a switch replacment. i,m also telling them that this is strike 2.... will keep ya informed...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

05es

Posted: 12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Hi again UPDATE.... just got the van back today. guess what... not fixed grrrrr... that is strike 2. they told me after the ignition switch replacement it worked a couple times and then they said it failed again. i drove it home again tonite and everything worked fine??? i asked them what now?? they said they called (star service) and they dont know what could cause the problem.. jeesh!! these people that have build and designed this vehicle cannot fix it !? now they are thinking that there is a problem with the power train control module an intermintent fault.. i also told them when they find a solution to the problem and it had to be within 30 days to call me. i worked in the auto service for years, and i really hate parts changers... to me thats not diagnostic work .

In my personal opinion. i am leaning more toward the range sensor.

Will keep ya updated... stay tuned...
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

05es

Posted: 12-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Post #3

ANOTHER UPDATE... talked to the dealer again today still no clue as what to do with my van ):i just recieved my 2005 caravan transmission diagnostic manual (lots and lots of information ) also my 2005 caravan repair cd came today WOW.. this manual has EVERYTHING you would ever... ever want to know about this vehicle.. the reading i did does show that with the indicator light problem i have,, there is definately a problem somewhere in the range sensor,range sensor circut,or the powertrain module. i'm sure the dealer will by the parts changing process,fix my problem i'll keep ya up to speed as events unfold... Happy Holidays to all ...

05es

Posted: 01-04-2005, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Hello again all yet another update. the dealer called today and they now want to change, ill give ya 2 guesses yep, the range sensor i guess star service in all their wisdom figured out that it MIGHT be the range sensor the service manager said that they will have to drop the trans oil pan and the valve body to change the sensor. i asked if they are gonna change the filter also and they said that they cannot change the filter under warranty but the fluid will be replaced . so i told the manager to install the new filter and i will pay for it since there will not be a charge to replace it since it has to be removed anyway. jeesh i sure hope this takes care of the problem i sure like this vehicle and i dont want to go the lemon law thing this will be strike 3 been doing lots of reading in my trans diagnostic manual to me this seems like the most logical reason for my problem .... will bring in monday for the repair.. will keep ya informed.. stay tuned.

wassup

Posted: 01-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05es
Hello again all yet another update. the dealer called today and they now want to change, ill give ya 2 guesses yep, the range sensor i guess star service in all their wisdom figured out that it MIGHT be the range sensor the service manager said that they will have to drop the trans oil pan and the valve body to change the sensor. i asked if they are gonna change the filter also and they said that they cannot change the filter under warranty but the fluid will be replaced . so i told the manager to install the new filter and i will pay for it since there will not be a charge to replace it since it has to be removed anyway. jeesh i sure hope this takes care of the problem i sure like this vehicle and i dont want to go the lemon law thing this will be strike 3 been doing lots of reading in my trans diagnostic manual to me this seems like the most logical reason for my problem .... will bring in monday for the repair.. will keep ya informed.. stay tuned.
I'm having the exact same problem. Let me know what happens.

HeadlessHorsemn

Posted: 01-10-2005, 07:38 AM
New Milford, Connecticut
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05es
... i sure like this vehicle and i dont want to go the lemon law thing this will be strike 3 been doing lots of reading in my trans diagnostic manual to me this seems like the most logical reason for my problem .... will bring in monday for the repair.. will keep ya informed.. stay tuned.
I'm a '96 GC owner with over $10,000 in repair bills over nearly 9 years. If I were you, I would NOT hesitate to exercise protection under the Lemon Law. Don't fall in love with your vehicle until ALL issues are resolved to your complete satisfaction.

You will spend plenty of money over the next 9 years (if you keep it that long) to fix things that wear out normally and probably more on failures due to poor engineering - it's a Chrysler way of life. In the end, it will be expensive to keep your vehicle on the road.

Make your dealer make it right from the very beginning to help avoid additional heartbreaks down the road... Take it from someone who's been there and done that!... Good Luck!

Last edited by HeadlessHorsemn : 01-10-2005 at 09:09 AM.

05es

Posted: 01-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Hello all. another update for anyone who is interested. i believe the problem is fixed. the dealer replaced the range sensor,fluid filter and fluid in the trans today. it is working fine so far i explained to the dealer that i thought it wasnt fair i had to pay for the filter because of all the inconvenience and return trips i had to endure. to my suprise he agreed and i got my keys and left the place. on my way out i talked to the tech who did the repair and asked him how it went and he told me that every thing went smooth and i asked him how the bottom of the trans looked,he said it looked very good,no bits or trash at all in there the magnet was clean. i asked him if the new range sensor looked the same as the old and he told me it did look a little bit diffrent maybe redesigned or changed? anyhow, all is good if anyone has had this trouble and wants to save a lil time and cash i would try this repair first...

Happy Motoring

05es

Posted: 01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Post #8

Hello again yet another update not good either. the indicators all lit up again gettin P.O. it happend just once today i hope it was just a boot up issue. thinks i'll just drive the f*^%!Ng thing thru the showroom window and tell them when chrysler credit calls wanting their payment to go see you!. the darn thing worked just fine for 3 weeks now and poof again? if anyone has had this problem.let us know .... stay tuned

05es

Posted: 02-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Post #9

middle of feb now hasn't come back yet,everything seems ok keeping fingers crossed.
Closed Thread