94 ram 1500 5.2L Cranks but wont start - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Cinda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile 94 ram 1500 5.2L Cranks but wont start

Ok I have a 94 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L That was left to me from my Step-Father when he passed so it is very special to me!! Has been sitting for awhile but over the last couple weeks i have been driving it after replacing
water pump & intake hose. Intake manifold gasket, changed oil, flushed radiator & hoses.And replaced radiator hoses. Has been driving fine & i turned it off a couple days ago & went to start it & it cranks fine but will not start. Tried starter fluid to see if it was gas issue but still wouldnt start. Replaced rotor in distributor cap & coil and still wont start. There is no fire at the coil. Not sure what to do next other than try pick up coil in distributor cap or crank sensor? Just praying someone can give me some light on this matter so i dont have to just keep guessing and putting money on parts that is not fixing the problem. Would so appreciate it, more than anyone can imagine. Hope to hear back from someone soon. Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Moparite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Do you have any fault codes?
#3 Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
chizzle1
REDNECK SPACESTATION

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
no fire could be the coil, crank sensor, cam sensor (inside the dist) or the ASD (shutdown relay).
When my crank position sensor was going bad, it would start but run like crap.
I don't like the idea of just throwing parts at it either, but you have replaced most of the ignition system already. I would try the cam position sensor, followed by the crank sensor. But first check the auto shutdown relay, which is located in the fuse box.
edit: are you getting fuel to the rail? If the ASD is triggered, the fuel pump will not run.

01 Ram 5.9 Sport QC 4x4 - 157k, current build project - SCT Stage1 custom tune via Hemifever, Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers, Modded Kegger, Edelbrock ProFlow,52mm TB,180* t-stat,e-fans, pacesetter long tube headers, true dual with spun cats and thrush shorties, 34x11 Falken ATs on 3rd gen Dodge 20"s, 3"TC lift, PML Deep Pan,SunPro Tranny Temp gauge,Rebuilt 231D,TSC Diamond Box, Sony head unit, AVS 3 piece bug deflector
10 Dodge Challenger R/T in Brilliant black - MyGig 730N w/ navi,dvd,HD,u-connect & rear cam, 6 spd, Track Pak, SRT8 shorties & mids, DS Predator, Jet 180*, Airaid CAI, BBK 85mm tb, SLP line locks, de-badged, resonators removed, DRL enabled, skip shift eliminator, mopar hood struts, functional hood vents, 392 chin spoiler
09 Suzuki 1255S Bandit Metallic Blue on black, 1255cc I-4, 6 spd, Yoshi can, K&N, Bags Connection tank bag, TPX fuzz buster, Techmount GPS holder, Suzuki center stand, World Performance Seat
2013 Dart Limited Pitch black, fully loaded, hers
SOLD 06 Hemi Durango 4x4 Limited in Atlantic Blue Pearl
SOLD 97 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie in DuPont Frost White Pearl
#4 Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Cinda

(Thread Starter)
Well they sprayed starter fluid in it and it still wouldnt even try to start. So from that, they assumed it wasnt a gas issue. On the auto shut off relay, isnt thier another relay i can switch it out with to see it that is it? Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply.
#5 Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
chizzle1
REDNECK SPACESTATION

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinda View Post
Well they sprayed starter fluid in it and it still wouldnt even try to start. So from that, they assumed it wasnt a gas issue. On the auto shut off relay, isnt thier another relay i can switch it out with to see it that is it? Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply.
not sure about swapping the relays. i know some are interchangeable. i didn't drive my truck to work or I'd go look.

does the rotor button in the dist turn when you crank the engine? could be the timing chain went or the cam sensor is bad.

01 Ram 5.9 Sport QC 4x4 - 157k, current build project - SCT Stage1 custom tune via Hemifever, Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers, Modded Kegger, Edelbrock ProFlow,52mm TB,180* t-stat,e-fans, pacesetter long tube headers, true dual with spun cats and thrush shorties, 34x11 Falken ATs on 3rd gen Dodge 20"s, 3"TC lift, PML Deep Pan,SunPro Tranny Temp gauge,Rebuilt 231D,TSC Diamond Box, Sony head unit, AVS 3 piece bug deflector
10 Dodge Challenger R/T in Brilliant black - MyGig 730N w/ navi,dvd,HD,u-connect & rear cam, 6 spd, Track Pak, SRT8 shorties & mids, DS Predator, Jet 180*, Airaid CAI, BBK 85mm tb, SLP line locks, de-badged, resonators removed, DRL enabled, skip shift eliminator, mopar hood struts, functional hood vents, 392 chin spoiler
09 Suzuki 1255S Bandit Metallic Blue on black, 1255cc I-4, 6 spd, Yoshi can, K&N, Bags Connection tank bag, TPX fuzz buster, Techmount GPS holder, Suzuki center stand, World Performance Seat
2013 Dart Limited Pitch black, fully loaded, hers
SOLD 06 Hemi Durango 4x4 Limited in Atlantic Blue Pearl
SOLD 97 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie in DuPont Frost White Pearl
#6 Old 05-20-2013, 10:16 PM
Cinda

(Thread Starter)
Not sure how to check for the codes
#7 Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
ladale

now,spraying starter fluid is this carborated? if you spray starter fluid into a carborated motor yes it will fire and run, a fuel injected motor will not, if you spray starter flued into an injected motor, and the fuel injector have no pressure it will not fire or run, even without spark if you use fuild it will rotate the engine faster and not fire as well, i would insure that the pump does run

2002 RAM 1500 4.7L 4x1 quad cab ST
Prev. 2004.5 RAM 2500 325/600 5.9L
Prev. 2003 ram 1500 quad cab 1x4 slt 5.9l 360
BEWARE I POST FOR THE F@^& OF IT!
if ur not cum'in ur try'in too hard
100,000K+ club member #21
Quad Cab Club #666
Don't TOUCH my truck Club!!!! Member #36
DT MIssissippi Chapter Member # 1
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...=1#post3173359
#8 Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Moparite

Quote:
if you spray starter fluid into a carborated motor yes it will fire and run, a fuel injected motor will not,
Our rams will fire up with starting fluid but will not stay running if there is a fuel issue.

Quote:
If the ASD is triggered, the fuel pump will not run.
The ASD relay is on whenever the motor is starting/running. It supplies positive power to the coil fuel injectors and 02 sensors. The fuel pump runs off another relay. Both are controlled by the PCM. You can switch it to another one of the relays but they rarely ever go bad. Is you CEL (check engine light) on? If so you have a fault code/s. I'd start there rather than replacing things that might not be bad.
#9 Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
ladale

[QUOTE=Moparite;4534817]Our rams will fire up with starting fluid but will not stay running if there is a fuel issue.

thats what i said our ram FI will not start and run on starter fluid, i never said they will not fire, no fuel injected vehicle will

Quad Cab Club #666
#10 Old 05-21-2013, 07:01 AM
ladale

or to lower the confusion, they will not run on it, but will crank

Quad Cab Club #666
#11 Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Psycho7506

I would like to know if u found the problem with your truck? I have a 94 with a 5.2 and 2 weeks ago it just died on me at a red light. Had to get it towed home I thought the coil or crank position sensor or cam sensor went out. I have the Haynes book for the truck and every thing checked out fine on that. So I poured gas in the intake and it started. Replaced the fuel pump and it run for 3 days and started running like crap on my way home from work. The next morn it would not start. This time my fuel pump was not working and the coil was not firing. I pulled the relay for the fuel pump and straight wired it and it started pulled the wire and put the relay back in and it run for a week and a half. But in that time I noticed it would not run any thing over 2500 rpm. Thursday night I went to town and going down the road it tried to die about 5 times in 20 miles. When I started home I started up t mountin and took it out of od and it did not wont to run because it was around 2500 to 3000 rpm's got to the top And it died. I made it home after it died bout every 100 feet or so. It would diesel every time it died. Friday morn it would not start same thing as the last time. This time the fuel pump would not work even if it was straight wired put a new fuel pump in started it and it run for 5 min and cut off just like someone cut it off. No fire this time and fuel pump not pumping. Put new coil on today because I checked it it was checking bad this time. Still would not start strat wired the fuel pump it started put the realy back in and it run till it run out off gas. So I swaped the realy from the starter to the fuel pump. Straight wired the pump put that relay in and it run. So I drove it down the road and back and now it will do 3500 rpm's and not miss a beat. So that's where I am with mine going to put all new relays in it in the next week or two.
#12 Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Psycho7506

Don't know why it posted that 3 times I'm on my phone sorry.
#13 Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 AM
Moparite

#14 Old 09-10-2013, 09:30 PM
abe

To Cinda
My money's on the fuel pump. Rather than drop the tank, I changed mine very easily by undoing the 6 capscrews holding the bed to the frame, then using a come-along, lifting on the left side of the bed, and tilting the bed off of the frame. Once the bed is up and out of the way, the top of the gas tank is in plain sight. I bought my fuel pump at napa. Not cheap. I recall $310
abe
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.