Better Mileage? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Performance Talk

Closed Thread

gothemi89

Better Mileage? - Posted: 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
City: California
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I recently bought a 2013 Ram with a Hemi and I'm wondering what people have done for mileage out of their 4th gems to help me save a little money filling up. This truck is a 4x4 qc with a standard bed and 3.92 gears. I've already ordered an S&B intake, BT catch can, and I'm scheduled to have my bed cover installed Monday. This truck will be my daily driver, I don't tow anything, I'll rarely exceed 500pnds in the bed (though for work It'll probably be loaded several times a day with 200-300pnds), highway driving is about 30-40 miles a day and city 10-20.
The only mileage adding mods I've read on so far are the intake, throttle body, and a tune (2013 so no tune yet).
I tried using the search tool on here for mpg in 4th gen but I can't seem to find anything any way I do it, so I figured its time for a thread. Any help you guys can give me I'd appreciate, I posted a while back on a performance build for this truck but things changed pretty quick.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wyat72

Posted: 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Intake: CAI and TB upgrades, check
Exhaust: new y pipe and exhaust headers

With out really digging into the engine these are going to be the biggest things you can do to make the truck a little more FE.

Some others, cut some weight (especially at the wheels, go smaller) and lower it for better aero.

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

gutty96

Posted: 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM
State: ON
Post #3

There really is no magic mod for increasing MPG. If there was, not only would everyone already have it, and you would know about it. Also, if there was, the manufacturers would just install it from the start, as EPA #'s are one of the biggest battles going even in the full size truck market, so they would use whatever they could if it worked.

That being said, you bought a full size pickup with 400hp. MPG should not be on your priority list.

Enjoy the RAM, they are AWESOME to drive. But fuel efficient they will never be.

gothemi89

Posted: 03-22-2013, 10:24 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

I'm not looking for fuel efficient. I'm looking for better mileage that 18mpg on a daily driven work truck without doing mod after mod after mod and turning it into another toy.

gutty96

Posted: 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothemi89 View Post
I'm not looking for fuel efficient. I'm looking for better mileage that 18mpg on a daily driven work truck without doing mod after mod after mod and turning it into another toy.
You are doing well to get the 18MPG you are with 3.92 gears. What are you looking to get? Even if you put $500-$600 into getting to 19MPG, or even 20MPG. You wouldn't notice it day to day anyhow.

Like I said, just enjoy your truck, and turn that EVIC off.

gothemi89

Posted: 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Better than 18 so I can justify to the wife putting money into it. I've already got another truck and 3 cars not including the wife's. To put any money into this truck it either needs to be work related or to increase the mileage. As long as the truck reads an increase I'm A O K.
Right now I'm approved for the v6 fan, but when I mentioned throttle body, and headers I got the "no" look.

And yes, the wife is in control of the bank accounts.

gutty96

Posted: 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothemi89 View Post
Better than 18 so I can justify to the wife putting money into it. I've already got another truck and 3 cars not including the wife's. To put any money into this truck it either needs to be work related or to increase the mileage. As long as the truck reads an increase I'm A O K.
Right now I'm approved for the v6 fan, but when I mentioned throttle body, and headers I got the "no" look.

And yes, the wife is in control of the bank accounts.
Sorry dude, there are no mods that are going to give you enough to justify getting them to the wife.

stricnine

Posted: 03-22-2013, 12:25 PM
RANGO
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Trade your truck in on a Prius.

2011 Charger R/T w/ Eibach Pro Line drop springs, MOPAR Intake, Twin FM Super 44's, 20" Torque Thrust M Limited Edition

Scotrod65

Posted: 03-22-2013, 12:39 PM
State: TX
Post #9

Changing your driving habits costs you nothing and can very well improve your MPG (to a point), but,,, Very few want to put THAT much effort into getting better MPG. (Sad, but true!)

You best bet to 'justify' any truck purchases to the wife is to get the 'work related' ones.

Sure, some one will claim 2 mpg better with a CAI,,, 1 mpg better with (insert your favorite mod here), but,,,,,, my experiences with several makes/models/accessories over the years show there is not enough improvement in mpg to re-coup the money you spent on the mod.

Driving habits, yes, mods, no. Reducing hwy speed helps a lot, but some folks would rather have hot pokers shoved in both eye's and up their @$$ than to slow down 5 mph LOL!!!

Older cars may have responded ~better~ to mods, but with modern vehicles, there is no 'low hanging fruit' one can grab to increase mpg. Like mentioned above, Detroit has grabbed that fruit and most all of it left on the tree all the way to the top.

18 mpg is nothing to complain about!!!! Be thankfull it isn't worse!

Last edited by Scotrod65 : 03-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Adidas_kn

Posted: 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Agent Orange!
City: NW Houston
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Wait for a tuner to be released and pay $125 for a Custom Hemifever tune. You will still need a Diablo Tuner but they sell those too. A Circle D stall converter is more efficient then the stocker and will improve performance, driveability and mileage.
09' QC 2wd, Custom Lift with air suspension, Custom fit 2011 2500 front bumper, Challenger style hood, color matched everything, Vararam, SRT8 headers, x-piped side exhaust, 87mm TB, V6 E-Fan, 4.56's, 35/12.50/20's on 20x9 Falken ORC wheels.

Durty work by me, paint by Colin Hurst and retro'd heads by a crazy trucker.

sighless

Posted: 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM
City: Bowmanville
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

i have added a volant, a 14" magnaflow, and a trinity running the 87 tune.. i havent picked up any MPG.. Im constantly getting 16-17MPG with 3.92 gears..

2012 Crew Cab Sport -- 3.92 Anti-Spin -- 730N -- Leather -- Sunroof -- Back-up Cam -- Spray In -- Sport Hood -- 645RFE

gutty96

Posted: 03-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Post #12

The only thing I can think of that will for sure add a MPG or 2, is using ethanol free gas. The downside is it usually comes with having to buy premium gas, so you are paying more to get better MPG.

I use a SuperChips 91 tune with ethanol free 91 octane in the summer. My MPG is 2-3 better vs 87 tune with 10% blended 87 octane.

Hemi Joe

Posted: 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM
State: PA
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutty96 View Post
The only thing I can think of that will for sure add a MPG or 2, is using ethanol free gas. The downside is it usually comes with having to buy premium gas, so you are paying more to get better MPG.

I use a SuperChips 91 tune with ethanol free 91 octane in the summer. My MPG is 2-3 better vs 87 tune with 10% blended 87 octane.
Yup, there's a place near me that sells pure gas. They've been closed for the winter due to lack of availability.

deke6520

Posted: 03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
City: Southern Alberta
State: AB
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

I have the 14" Magnaflow, S&B Intake and Superchips Flashpaq 91 Perf Tune and I have definitely gained some gas mileage. I used to average 14.6 to 14.8L/100km on a 130km round trip to town and since installing the Superchips tune and S&B intake I am now averaging 13.4 to 13.6L/100km. And this is with my cruise set at 120km/h. I am sure I would get even better mileage if I dropped it to the speed limit of 115km/h. In town though there is no difference as I like to hear my Magnaflow! Its not a lot but everything counts with these Hemis! My next mod is an 87mm throttle body.

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 QC

Hemi, 3.92, Magnaflow True Dual Catback Exhaust, Mopar Sidesteps, Bakflip F1 Tonneau Cover, bT Catch Can

HEMI450HP

Posted: 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #15

Unfortunately, if you are already at 18mpg on the highway, there isnt much improvement form there. Most guys, even with the intake and exhaust mods, arent seeing that kind of mileage. In general, anytime you help airflow, the mileage will go up, so that has you looking at intake, throttle body, headers, y-pipe, and free flowing muffler. Both the JBA shorties and ARH longtubes will fit the 2013's, so you have a few options on headers. Then I would jump on a tuner as soon as they are available.

deke6520

Posted: 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
City: Southern Alberta
State: AB
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Matt is right...13.4L/100km = 17.5 MPG. And I am pretty happy with that!

2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 QC

Hemi, 3.92, Magnaflow True Dual Catback Exhaust, Mopar Sidesteps, Bakflip F1 Tonneau Cover, bT Catch Can

Closed Thread