Hood paint layout - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Shikity

Hood paint layout - Posted: 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I've been debating how I want to paint my hood for awhile now.. I'm not sure if I want to paint my current hood, or replace it with an SRT style genuine carbon fiber hood.. I'm also considering replacing my hood with the Venom hood.. Not sure though..

Here is what I did today just to get an idea of how this looks.. I had a partial can of P-Dip setting on the shelf so I masked off the cowl and went to work... I've already peeled the P-Dip off because I didn't really want it left on my hood very long... but I took pics of how it looked. I would do this in gloss black if I were to do it, and then probably paint the roof black.

What do you all think?

.....Visual Mods: Yes.....
.Performance Mods: Yes.

Last edited by Shikity : 01-21-2014 at 04:37 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

MonsoonMike

Posted: 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
::Mike::
City: Chandler
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Looks good.

You can try this.. My friend did this..

and of course, my SRT was a little different as well...

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Shikity

Posted: 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

I thought about the CE stripes pretty hard actually, but I don't think it looks right w/o the stripes following onto the roof, and I DON'T want to do the tailgate at all.. W/o all that it seems off to me on only the hood.... Does his cowl say SRT? ... Anyway.. I plan to paint the whole roof black like my white truck, I especially think the stripes would look off like that..

I did consider going with the style you went with on your red 06. I like it a lot.. And have thought about and looked back at it often. But I'm feeling the fangs for some reason.. I even thought about redoing what I did to the white truck, with the whole top of the hood black. But I feel kinda like "been there done that" you know?

But thats why I posted up, constructive ideas.. Thanks for the pics

ayalai10

Posted: 02-15-2013, 04:35 PM
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

I can't post pics with my phone, but theres an srt10 with acr-ish stripes in this thead. Its what I'll hopefully do with my daytona when I have money to paint it...
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/think...hould-i-52189/

Shikity

Posted: 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayalai10 View Post
I can't post pics with my phone, but theres an srt10 with acr-ish stripes in this thead. Its what I'll hopefully do with my daytona when I have money to paint it...
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/think...hould-i-52189/
Seen that truck and another reg cab similar to it.. Not a fan personaly.... If thats what you like though best of luck to you getting it done!! Thanks for the link.

JonRoc

Posted: 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Creature Of The Wheel
City: Near Nashville
State: TN
Post #6

I really liked how you had your hood & rood painted black. If I had an srt10 or cowl hood on my truck I would paint the raised scoop/cowl part matte black. I think matte/satin black would look good on your silver srt10.

But if you really want to or plan on painting your roof gloss black I'd paint the whole hood gloss black as well. I don't think a matte scoop with gloss roof would look good.

"Code Red" 07 Ram RC 2/4.5 2WD 4.7

Installed or Soon To Be:
McGaughys Deluxe 2/4.5-OEM SRT10 Hood-TMD Bumper Cover-EFX Rollpan-GrillCraft MX Grille-08 Intake Manifold
Offroad 17s Plastidipped-Flame Red Heads-SC3865 w/ Trans Upgrade-Airaid CAI-70mm TB-MF YPipe-Jet 180 Tstat
DMH ECutout-Jet Stream Scoop-SRT10 Wing-15% Tint-Nuvi 50LM-Cree 9W Rev LEDs-Radio Bez Painted Red
SiriusXM Radio-NS'ed Sonar Smoked LED Tails & Recon 3rd-Hawk HPS Pads-Belltech Street Shocks
Tailgate Bar-PW-6" Stubbie-BT Emblem-Mopar Batt Shield-Bosch Icon Blades-3W Int LEDs-Red LEDs in Engine Bay
Going To Buy Someday:
Matte Black Hood Stripe & Roof Wrap-Alpine Sys-Aeon Bump Stops
Gibson Shorties GP316S-BT Int Pieces-CF Mirror Covers

08HEMI1500

Posted: 02-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Rookie
State: FL
Post #7

I would go to the grille with the cowl painted if you plan to do the entire roof too. It would look good with the bed cover IMO. Not the whole hood though because then that looks cheap like you bought a different hood

Military Truck Club #152

Shikity

Posted: 02-16-2013, 08:01 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRoc View Post
I really liked how you had your hood & roof painted black. If I had an srt10 or cowl hood on my truck I would paint the raised scoop/cowl part matte black. I think matte/satin black would look good on your silver srt10.

But if you really want to or plan on painting your roof gloss black I'd paint the whole hood gloss black as well. I don't think a matte scoop with gloss roof would look good.
Agreed, the roof and hood would both need to match, be they gloss of matte.. I like the matte/satin look but its not something I would want personaly.. Whatever I do will definately be gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500 View Post
I would go to the grille with the cowl painted if you plan to do the entire roof too. It would look good with the bed cover IMO. Not the whole hood though because then that looks cheap like you bought a different hood
I see where your coming from.. The black to the grill would balance the nose to tail black ratio with the roof being black.... And I would never do the entire hood a different color, I'm not personaly a fan of that on these trucks. The most I would do would be the way I did my white trucks hood.... and that may be where I end up taking this truck by the time I'm done.. I dunno yet..

MonsoonMike

Posted: 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
::Mike::
City: Chandler
State: AZ
Post #9

How about painting the raise part of the SRT a darker gray?

So it's a two tone, but not black.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

Shikity

Posted: 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07MegaCabRam View Post
How about painting the raise part of the SRT a darker gray?

So it's a two tone, but not black.
Yeah, going with a dark graphite metallic has crossed my mind.. And that would be different than most of what I have seen.. I think that in the style I went with in the pics would look really sweet.. I wouldn't do the roof then.
You don't think the graphite would clash with all the rest of the black on my truck? I'm a bit afraid that with everything else on the truck accented in black the gray would look off.. I do plan to do the handles body color too.

Posted: 02-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator
City: Florissant
State: MO
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikityshack View Post
Yeah, going with a dark graphite metallic has crossed my mind.. And that would be different than most of what I have seen.. I think that in the style I went with in the pics would look really sweet.. I wouldn't do the roof then.
You don't think the graphite would clash with all the rest of the black on my truck? I'm a bit afraid that with everything else on the truck accented in black the gray would look off.. I do plan to do the handles body color too.
yup, thats a pretty good color scheme.......

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, Tail light tinting / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

UsmcAv8R

Posted: 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Jacob
City: Elkhorn
State: NE
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

I like it just how you did it man! Looks really nice, just enough to be an accent. I think the silver hood with a little black really matches the wheels since they are mainly silver with the black pockets. You guys have too nice of weather down there if your able to go out and truck mod right now lol

otnielarencibia

Posted: 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM
1RAM2NV
City: Pompano
State: FL
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #13

^ Agreed. Looks nice just the way you did it with the plasti dip!

2004 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport (flame red)

Inertia built forged hemi, 6.1l crank, Manley flat top pistons 9:5:1 compression, K1 rods, ARP main bolts and head studs, 6.1l springs and retainers, 6.1l push rods, 6.1l oil pump, Inertia custom turbo cam, Custom 24x12x4 front mount intercooler, sts turbo, T76 Turbonetics Q trim 76mm, sts electric boost controller, Diablosport tuned, custom billet fuel rails, 255lph Holley fuel pump, XRP racing fuel fittings and hoses, SRT-4 map sensor, 80# Siemens racing injectors, MSD spark plug wires, NGK 4306 spark plugs, Autometer boost gauge, Autometer egt gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, PLX device DM-100 Air/Fuel wideband, Tick Performance stage 2 t56 6 speed, ARP flywheel and pressure plate bolts, JMB Performance viper clutch hydraulics, Quick Time bell housing, kevlar clutch, B&M shifter, srt10 front brakes, srt10 dana 60 rear axle 4.56 gears, Eibach 2/4 drop, Eibach pro damper shocks, Belltech rear sway bar, mark vii efan, 180 degree MotoRad thermostat, 15% UD ATI Damper, smaller ALT pulley, Flowmaster y-pipe, Magnaflow straight though muffler, Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller, Kenwood HU and component speakers, MTX amp and subs.........
That Hemi 6 speed AND got a turbo?!?!
My truck whistles club!!! member #2
480rwhp/522 lbs. rwtq at 7 lbs of boost

Shikity

Posted: 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
yup, thats a pretty good color scheme.......

Haha!! I spaced off that you did yours in Graphite and silver.. I don't see you pop up toomuch in here now that your a 4th gen snob LOL, Jk man!!.. I did like your grill and side stripes when I seen your truck.. But I haven't seen that hood yet in person though... Since I'm hitting the St Louis area for the next couple months on and off you'll have to take some time away from yopur headlights and let me check that bad muthu out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmcAv8R View Post
I like it just how you did it man! Looks really nice, just enough to be an accent. I think the silver hood with a little black really matches the wheels since they are mainly silver with the black pockets. You guys have too nice of weather down there if your able to go out and truck mod right now lol
Thanks man, I like it but then I don't know if I can pull the trigger on it.. I think because its dull azz P-Dip and not shiney it turned me off a bit.. I was gonna leave it on for a week or 2 but having P-dip on my hood was killing me.. I had to peel it off right after the pics. I think if it was shiney I wouldn't even be questioning it. I suppose I could just paint it and if I change my mind its relatively easy to change..

It was decent down here but still a little cold to do much of anything useful.. P-Dipping the hood was about the extent of it.. Supposed to get snow later this week. We'll see. Been lucky so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnielarencibia View Post
^ Agreed. Looks nice just the way you did it with the plasti dip!
Thanks OT,
but aren't you supposed to making some dyno vids for us to drool over? You don't have time to be on DT playin around!! LOL!

Posted: 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator
Post #15

yeah man, bring it on! I'm game, busy as all hell, but I'd love to take some time to meet up again man!

On the hood we (painter and I) spent 3 hours one night laying out ideas...........nothing fit.......then the light bulb went on. Walked back to the back, copied the design, laid it on the hood and called it a night.

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, Tail light tinting / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Shikity

Posted: 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Right on... if you want pm me your # as I don't believe I ever got it from you.. Next time I'm out that way, (always seems to be on sunday) and I have some time I'll drop a text to you kinda early and see if you have the time..

Yeah, your hood looks good.. I like that its still got a Mopar vibe to it. You accented the cowl, got that fang style and also kept the old school strobes that Mopar used in the past..
And its dark enough it almost looks black on the silver.. I bet that metallic really pops on it too..

Posted: 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator
Post #17

pm headed your way!

Closed Thread