Android double din radio - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > General Topic Forums > Mobile Audio & Electronics Talk

Closed Thread

badblackram

Android double din radio - Posted: 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM
City: brookhaven
State: MS
Post #1

Has anyone bought one of these radios? I came across a few and was curious if they were any good. I have been wanting to buy a double din for awhile now but haven't made up my mind on what I want.

It would be nice to eliminate my Superchips vivid tablet from the windshield (if it works) and I would be able to use the radio to tune the truck lol.

So yay or nay?

2006 Ram 1500
4.7L- Gibson S/S ceramic shorties
Flex-a-lite 183 e-fan kit
Catless w/ 12279 magnaflow
Apm ram air hood w/ ram air intake
Painted grille, bumper, & handles
Painted headlights w/ Retrofitted morimoto projectors
Power slot rotors
Diablo Sport Trinity with Hemifever tune
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
4.56 motive gears & Detroit Truetrac
Nitto 420s 285/50r20
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

1500ram12

Posted: 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
City: Potsdam NY
State: NY
Post #2

I've been thinking of getting one to. Haven't heard anything bad about them

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk
2010 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L Cummins, S&B CAI, H&S Mini Maxx, BullyDog A pillar mount, Flo Pro 4" Down Pipe/delete pipe, Raceland 4" E cutout, RCX Leveling Springs, 1.5" TGC Blocks, Bilstein 5100's, RCX Big Bore SS
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

badblackram

Posted: 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Post #3

Me neither but I'm going to do more research before I just go and buy one.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

JohnMcD348

Posted: 01-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Average Guy
City: Lakeland
Post #4

What are these Android radios? Can they be also used as a Carputer along with the entertainment system?

Just wondering. I've never heard of them before and hadn't thought of running an Android OS for simply a radio device.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

92 Dakota ClubCab 4x2(Stock)
92 Ford Bronco Custom(Stock pretty much for now)
08 1500 MegaCab 4x4 McDougald Limited Edition(SC3865 tuned, Airaid CAI, Reverse camera RECNav Display)

#152 Blue Truck Club
#61 Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club
MegaCab Club#152

badblackram

Posted: 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
What are these Android radios? Can they be also used as a Carputer along with the entertainment system?

Just wondering. I've never heard of them before and hadn't thought of running an Android OS for simply a radio device.
It's basically like an android tablet or phone with the same apps and games but wired into your truck.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

d_layne

Posted: 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
DERRICK
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

That sounds interesting. What brands have you looked at?

JBA HEADERS CONTACT INFORMATION

The mod bug, once infected there is no cure.

MILITARY TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #155

2007 RAM 1500 4x4 4.7

20x9 XD Badlands -12 offset, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20, Bilstein 5100's, Drilled&Slotted Rotors, OEM Rear Wheel Liners, Radco Tonneau Cover, Locking Tailgate Handle, AVS Window Visors, 21" Stubbie Antenna, OEM Chrome Grille Inserts, Triple Gauge Pillar, Auto Meter Ultra Lite Wideband, Trans Temp, Diff Temp Gauge, Pioneer AVH X4500BT, Custom 2 DIN Bezel, Backup Camera, Hella 700ff w/ PIAA 100w H3 Night-Tech, Smoked Recon LED Tails, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Oracle LED Strips(interior), 4 Oracle Flush Mount Switches/Custom Switch Bezel, SRP Racing Pedals, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

HO Cams, Volant CAI w/ Custom Ram Air, SCT(X3) Tuned by Flyin Ryan, AirRam Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14" Dumped, Optima Red Top Battery, Flex a lite 183 E-Fan, Jet 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, AirRam TB Adapter, F&B 72MM TB, SRT8 IAT Sensor, Mag-Hytech Tans Pan & Diff Cover, 1 Ton Trans Cooler, Motive 4.56, OEM LSD, BT Catch Can

Waiting to be installed: NX Proton Kit, NX GENX-2 ACC Kit, 3200 Street Edge TC, Killians P&P Heads, Beehive Springs, Hydro Boost Brakes.

Wish List: Diamond Racing Pistons, SCAT H-Beam Rods, Forged Crankshaft, ARP Studs.

JohnMcD348

Posted: 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Average Guy
Post #7

Great, now, not only will you be busy texting on the radio, we'll have to dodge people playing Angry Birds at 60mph.

The concept does intrigue me though as far as the idea of getting an Android OS offering that would do many of the functions of a Carputer and actually have it "factory installed" looking instead of having to install the PC motherboard somewhere and screen placed in the radio slot or elsewhere.

Another idea would be to have it tied into the OBD2 port and having the SuperChips Android OS tuner installed on the radio so you could run your tuning software off that.

Just how in depth and useful are these Android Radios? Would something like that even be possible?

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell
The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy Shit, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

08 1500 MegaCab 4x4 McDougald Limited Edition(SC3865 tuned, Airaid CAI, Reverse camera RECNav Display)

#152 Blue Truck Club
MegaCab Club#152

badblackram

Posted: 01-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
Great, now, not only will you be busy texting on the radio, we'll have to dodge people playing Angry Birds at 60mph.

The concept does intrigue me though as far as the idea of getting an Android OS offering that would do many of the functions of a Carputer and actually have it "factory installed" looking instead of having to install the PC motherboard somewhere and screen placed in the radio slot or elsewhere.

Another idea would be to have it tied into the OBD2 port and having the SuperChips Android OS tuner installed on the radio so you could run your tuning software off that.

Just how in depth and useful are these Android Radios? Would something like that even be possible?
The Superchips already uses a obd2 Bluetooth dongle to send info to a android device. So it would be a simple connection through Bluetooth to work.

These android radios would be just like any other 2din radio but with more usability. They come with wifi so you could tether your cell phone, download pandora and stream Internet radio all day long while traveling.

Hopefully whoever buys one has enough common sense to not play angry birds at 60 mph or text for that matter. It's not worth a life.

But it does have a lot of useful things. I mainly want to eliminate the use of my iPhone for pandora/music and eliminate the Superchips vivid tablet from my windshield. It will be one less thing I have distracting me. But maybe I can find someone who owns one so ill know what I'm buying. If I find out any info ill be posting it here.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

badblackram

Posted: 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_layne View Post
That sounds interesting. What brands have you looked at?
Most units I've looked are are more less unbranded. They are really pricey for unbranded. It's the only reason I haven't bought one.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

JohnMcD348

Posted: 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Average Guy
Post #10

Cool. Keep the info coming and any progress you make.

As for them being unbranded, I was doing a Google after reading this thread and most of the stuff I found was all from the Alibaba site, which is basically the whole entire "Made in China" clearing house. The devices they were offering were in quantities. I'd be curious to see what/when the big name stereo builders start coming out with over time.

#152 Blue Truck Club
MegaCab Club#152

twmotox

Posted: 01-28-2013, 06:16 AM
State: FL
Post #11

I looked at the same things. If you go to aliexpress.com you can buy 1 item at a time instead of quantity

1500ram12

Posted: 02-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Post #12

I was looking at this unit again and noticed that it doesn't have a built in cd or dvd player so this is no longer a option. It's cool but not going to work

2010 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L Cummins, S&B CAI, H&S Mini Maxx, BullyDog A pillar mount, Flo Pro 4" Down Pipe/delete pipe, Raceland 4" E cutout, RCX Leveling Springs, 1.5" TGC Blocks, Bilstein 5100's, RCX Big Bore SS

badblackram

Posted: 02-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Post #13

The one I was looking at has a DVD player. I'm not sure about playing cd's though.

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

1500ram12

Posted: 02-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Post #14

Hmm, must of been just the one I looked at

twmotox

Posted: 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM
State: FL
Post #15

I think all of the chinese units I looked at had cd and dvd players but i think i have decided to go with a Kenwood unit

09SMOKINHEMI

Posted: 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM
State: TX
Post #16

I noticed Alpine brought one out that's fully compatible with the samsung galaxy 3, using the nav from the phone too, aside from the music. Very nice

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

mbaseball3

Posted: 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
City: Orange County
State: CA
Post #17

Pioneer app radio 2. Works with iPhone and android. Android users can download arliberator in the play store which will mirror image (thru HDMI) of phone onto radio screen. In the process of hooking mine up now. Tired of having phone suction cupped to windshield and acting as my navigation/hands free calls/ Pandora/everything else. Best buy has them on sale again for second time in a month at $279.99. Usual price is $499.

Sent from my EVO LTE

d_layne

Posted: 03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
DERRICK
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
Pioneer app radio 2. Works with iPhone and android. Android users can download arliberator in the play store which will mirror image (thru HDMI) of phone onto radio screen. In the process of hooking mine up now. Tired of having phone suction cupped to windshield and acting as my navigation/hands free calls/ Pandora/everything else. Best buy has them on sale again for second time in a month at $279.99. Usual price is $499.

Sent from my EVO LTE
Good to know. I may look into this. Thanks.

JBA HEADERS CONTACT INFORMATION

The mod bug, once infected there is no cure.

MILITARY TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #155

2007 RAM 1500 4x4 4.7

20x9 XD Badlands -12 offset, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/55/20, Bilstein 5100's, Drilled&Slotted Rotors, OEM Rear Wheel Liners, Radco Tonneau Cover, Locking Tailgate Handle, AVS Window Visors, 21" Stubbie Antenna, OEM Chrome Grille Inserts, Triple Gauge Pillar, Auto Meter Ultra Lite Wideband, Trans Temp, Diff Temp Gauge, Pioneer AVH X4500BT, Custom 2 DIN Bezel, Backup Camera, Hella 700ff w/ PIAA 100w H3 Night-Tech, Smoked Recon LED Tails, Cree LED Reverse Lights, Oracle LED Strips(interior), 4 Oracle Flush Mount Switches/Custom Switch Bezel, SRP Racing Pedals, WeatherTech Floor Liners.

HO Cams, Volant CAI w/ Custom Ram Air, SCT(X3) Tuned by Flyin Ryan, AirRam Power Wire, JBA Shorty Headers, Magnaflow Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, Magnaflow 14" Dumped, Optima Red Top Battery, Flex a lite 183 E-Fan, Jet 180 T-Stat, 08 Intake Manifold, AirRam TB Adapter, F&B 72MM TB, SRT8 IAT Sensor, Mag-Hytech Tans Pan & Diff Cover, 1 Ton Trans Cooler, Motive 4.56, OEM LSD, BT Catch Can

Waiting to be installed: NX Proton Kit, NX GENX-2 ACC Kit, 3200 Street Edge TC, Killians P&P Heads, Beehive Springs, Hydro Boost Brakes.

Wish List: Diamond Racing Pistons, SCAT H-Beam Rods, Forged Crankshaft, ARP Studs.

mbaseball3

Posted: 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
City: Orange County
State: CA
Post #19

Heres how the install turned out. Yes not purty but its way better than forking over $200 for a damn double din bezel. Pictured is install I did in my dads 07. Mine was done a few weeks before as the guinea pig.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i19iz0013wrhxy6/IMAG0210.jpg

badblackram

Posted: 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Post #20

Looks good. What unit is that?

2006 Ram 1500
Power slot rotors
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
Nitto 420s 285/50r20
Closed Thread