Did the first plug change today.... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

gutty96

Did the first plug change today.... - Posted: 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
State: ON
Post #1

Well, I did the dreaded 30k mile (50k kms) plug change this morning. It was too darn cold out for my father in law and I to do it, so I sent it to the Goodyear shop I have been using lately. They did it in around 2.5 hours, and that is including changing the oil and rotating the tires. I am fine with that.

After researching, I decided the give the Autolite XP5325 a try. Ordered from rockauto.com on Tuesday, was delivered to CANADA on thursday! I was very impressed with that for $12 shipping.

First impression, idle is smooth, throttle is smooth, shifting even seems smoother. I am happy with these plugs, and shouldn't have to bother changing them again for a lot longer then the stock plugs.

If you are on the fence to try these plugs like I was. Go for it!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dawizman

Posted: 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM
City: Cold Lake, Alberta
State: AB
Post #2

The reason we have to change our plugs every 50,000Km is because of the exposed threads in the combustion chamber. The longer you let them go, the more carbon builds up on the exposed threads, and the more likely you are to break a plug off during removal. This is why most guys stick with the copper NGK or champion plugs. They are cheap, and it's what Chrysler designed the engine to work with.

2010 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB 4x4 5.7, Deep Water Blue, Toyo Open Country A/T, SpaceKap + Ladder Racks + Conduit Box(Work Truck)

Gone:

2010 Ram 2500 TRX4 CCSB 4x4 5.7, Brilliant Black, Truxedo Edge, Go Rhino Dominator III Nerf Steps, Superchips 3865.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT RCSB 4x4 5.7, Atlantic Blue, 33" Toyo Open Country M/T
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

gutty96

Posted: 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Post #3

LOL, now you tell me.

RedRam2010

Posted: 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Countryman
City: Port Orchard
State: WA
Post #4

Good to know... I'll be changing mine when I get home from deployment.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi - "Green" air filter, HBS 2.5" Leveling, Line-X Bedliner, 4 X KC Apollo 5" Lights, Cobra 29LX CB, Iron Bull front bumper, TOYO AT II Xtreme Tires, Fuel "Pump" rims.
FTC (SS/IDW) Countryman USN

mineralram

Posted: 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM
City: Milton
Post #5

I certainly hope they used Anti Seize on the threads otherwise those plugs may be breaking off faster than you think at the next 50,000. Also hope the heat the range is the same as the OEM's if not it may void your warranty on coil packs when they start to melt this has happened to other people who have used plugs other than OEM.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

This is why I do my own every 30k miles with the factory replacement plugs.

Unless you are running boost, there is no real reason to change to a different heat range.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

VINCH

Posted: 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
City: Lancaster
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

what are plugs

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
285/75/17 Toyo Open Country Xtreme ATII
Pin striping by Bob Spina

Scotrod65

Posted: 01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
State: TX
Post #8

Running the same plugs as OP here. 20,000 miles and very happy.

Most plugs come with anti-seize / anti corrosion plating already. (typically silver colored threads, beware of 'black' threads.)

IMHO, not enough threads sticking into the combustion chamber to 'carbon up' and cause one to bust a plug upon removal.

I won't be changing these out until they have 50-60k on 'em, (or if ~30~ months or so has passed),,,BUT, if other folks wanna change plugs more often, that's fine.

Often wonder if folks notice there is a TIME requirement on changing the plugs as well as a MILEAGE requirement? (Galvanic corrosion/Dissimilar metals is responsible for more seized plugs in alum heads than anything else,,,)

30,000 Miles (50,000 km) or
30 Months Maintenance
Service Schedule
❏ Change the engine oil and engine oil
filter.
❏ Rotate tires.
❏ Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
❏ Replace the top row of spark plugs
(4.7L Engine).
❏ Replace the spark plugs (3.7L and
5.7L Engines).
❏ Inspect the transfer case fluid.

gutty96

Posted: 01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Post #9

I will pull one in the spring when it gets warmer to take a look and see how they are going.

As for the heat range, I think the XP5325 are the same range as OEM. They come up as on OEM replacement on every auto parts site.

watkins

Posted: 01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
State: TX
Post #10

when i go to Dodge.com, type in my VIN (2009 5.7 1500) it says under the recommended service to change the plugs at 48K.
I already changed at 30K and will wait until 78K to do again.
as with most, they looked great coming out the first time.

hounddogg

Posted: 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM
State: GA
Post #11

The ONLY reason these trucks have the spark plugs that they do is cost. The cop 5.7,Hy-bred 5.7 and the 6.1 have NGK 100,000 mile Platinums. I had a Chrysler rep in 2009 comment that if it was him he'd not put the cheap nickle tipped plug back in every 30k. The FINE WIRE Irdiumns are used a lot in the aviation industarty. Better,better fuel burn and said to keep carbon down. Don't forget on the Autolites to go to the Autolite Website and download the $2.00 each rebate coupon. $32 bucks back. These Fine Wire Irdiumns are good for 100,000 PLUS miles. They have a 5 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty.
2009 Quad Cab SLT White,Hemi,2WD,20 inch wheels,3.92 gear.2003 Quad Dually 4x4,6 speed,4.10 gears,diesel.Banks 4 inch exhaust,Afe Pro Guard filter,Rottech crank sensor mod.Amsoil fliuds front to back.08 Corvette Convertible.
Closed Thread