Time to Start My Build Thread - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Power Wagon Forums (05 - Up) > 4G Ram Power Wagon Talk

Closed Thread

medsker

Time to Start My Build Thread - Posted: 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM
State: UT
Post #1

So since everyone else is doing it I thought I would post a build thread. I purchased my 2011 Power Wagon back in Christmas of 2010. I traded in a built 2007 Jeep Wrangler. I just got tired of having no power. So far I love it. So much room compared to the Jeep and my wife loves it. She told me we are keeping this one forever (I tend to by lots of different trucks). Back in October we went around the circumference of Utah (1700 Miles) which included about any type of wheeling you could get yourself into and it did great. Still have trouble getting the lockers to go in but from reading on this forum it is a common problem.

A couple of weeks after I bought it I had to drive it to New Mexico to visit my bro-in-law. I of course couldn’t drive through Moab without stopping and doing one trail. We decided to hit the first half of Fins-N-Things. There were a few inches of snow on the ground which makes the slick rock actual slick rock. As I was coming down the back side there is a 8-10 foot drop that is really steep. With snow it was more like a free fall. I hit the front hard enough that the rear tires came off the ground . It bent the front bumper and tore off the plastic valance for me. My wife and I jumped out thinking “that was so cool”. My other bro-in-law was in the back freaking out, not only from the experience but from the damage. My wife said to him “The first dent is always the hardest, now it’s done we don’t have to worry about it anymore”. I love my wife.

Here is a couple pics of my Moab wreck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (56.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (52.1 KB, 43 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

medsker

Posted: 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Post #2

I haven’t done a lot of mods yet because it does so well out of the box. I designed some rock rails and had them built. They have removable side steps that are held on by a couple of bolts. I also installed a tonneau cover with the tool box in the back. I also installed a Z-Step rear bench. I love it, when you are old and fat like me it gets harder and harder to climb into the bed.

On the interior I installed a basic CB with external speaker and PA system. I also installed a fire extinguisher. In the center console I installed a couple of switches. Under the blue tape they are labeled Front and Rear lockers. They aren’t hooked to anything right now but will probably be used on the lockers later.

Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (70.3 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (62.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0180a.jpg (860.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0191a.jpg (893.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0193a.jpg (372.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0195a.jpg (605.8 KB, 46 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

stubiePW

Posted: 01-15-2013, 05:44 AM
State: OH
Post #3

That looks great! Ouch about the bumper. I wish my wife reacted the same way to my first damage. I put a big dent in the rocker (no sliders as of yet) and I didn't even notice til 2 days later with all the mud. It is a great truck and I too hope to have it for a long time. Keep up the good work!

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
State: MT
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

That rear step is cool! I need to find myself one of those things. The dent in the front bumper might make a good excuse down the road to find something a little stronger with a better angle of approach.
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

myoung84

Posted: 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
Post #5

Ouch! Could have been a lot worse!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

medsker

Posted: 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM
Post #6

So here is a list of the tools and recovery gear I carry. I was to lazy to dig it all out but here is a couple of pics of underneath the rear seat. I'm sure I forgot some things but you get the idea. I am currently making a "Pull Pal" so I will have that in my arsenal.

Tools:
Full set of hand tools
Climbing rope and gear
Makita grinder with cut off wheels
Makita impact gun with add on that turns it into a drill
First aid kit/survival kit
Two way radios
Long sleeve coveralls
Two tarps
CO2 Bottle
Tire repair kit
Mapp gas with self igniting nozzle

Recovery Gear:
2-30 foot snatch straps
15 foot chain
2-tree straps
2 pulleys
4 d-rings
2 shovels
Air Jack
Smittybilt recovery ramps
Hi-Lift (hate it but I throw it in on trips)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (161.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (115.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (75.8 KB, 34 views)

medsker

Posted: 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Post #7

I thought I would put a few of my stuck pics on here so I have them for all eternity:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (64.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (65.1 KB, 47 views)

GunniPWguy

Posted: 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
CHRISTINE
City: Frigidville
State: CO
View This User's Garage
Post #8

Looks like you are getting your moneys worth out of that rig. Pretty impressive abuse documentation. Remind me not to buy that one when you are done with it. lol

2005 BLACK POWER WAGON

Power Wagon Owners Club #155
Currently Sporting: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy) 6-CD changer, Infinity premium audio, Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's 285/70/17, Customized H2 alloy wheels, VHT spray on the cab lights(stealth mode), Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery.
The list is morphing.

Beer is just water that has reached its full potential!

myoung84

Posted: 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Administrator
City: Broken Arrow
Post #9

Buried to the axles, I bet that was fun to get out!

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
AirLift 100 Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | RollBak Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

wingerak92

Posted: 01-16-2013, 03:37 PM
City: Estevan
State: SK
Post #10

I like your recovery kit. ONce I get my swing out toolbox I'll have to come back to this thread to fill it up.

medsker

Posted: 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
Buried to the axles, I bet that was fun to get out!
When I buried it the ground was soft from a recent rain storm. I walked out 14 miles before I was picked up. It was two weeks before I got back do to some trespassing issues. I was fighting the fact and they eventually dropped the charge. Anyway by then it was all dried up and took a little tug to drive right out

medsker

Posted: 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingerak92 View Post
I like your recovery kit. ONce I get my swing out toolbox I'll have to come back to this thread to fill it up.
I'm glad you like it. It's changed a lot over the years. I've been wheeling for 30 years so I've had to get unstuck many times both on my own and with other people. It seems like every time I wished I had something or another so it goes on the list.

MSCH2112

Posted: 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Bushwacker!
City: Reno
State: NV
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

join the club on these low and weak bumpers. you haven't 4wd hard enough if yours isn't banged up.

mike

2012 Power Wagon LARAMIE Pkg. w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

High-Lift Jack w/ lots of tow ropes and winch tools
2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition!
SOLD 2005 Power Wagon Quad w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill.

jmbones

Posted: 01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
City: SKOOK
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

I like your recovery "kit" as well. Where do I get the three chicks with shovels and how much!?

2008 Avenger R/T (Chrysler 100,000 mile club)

2013 Laramie Power Wagon
Nav - Rear ParkSense - Remote Start
Factory Spray In Bedliner - Rear Defrost
PM me for Winch Mob Decals

medsker

Posted: 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbones View Post
I like your recovery "kit" as well. Where do I get the three chicks with shovels and how much!?
They are actually my two daughters and my niece. They do everything together...we call them the Twinkies. Every spring break they "make" me take them up to Idaho to stay with my sister and play. We actually got stuck, had to walk out and then come back the next day and walk back and shovel it out. My Bro-in-law is a musician and walked back in with us while playing his banjo the whole way...made the walk much easier

medsker

Posted: 01-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Post #16

Hardwired my rear locker in. Will do the front when the plug gets here.

Started a new thread about it here:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367338

medsker

Posted: 02-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Post #17

Last weekend I took my rear seats out and cut off the hook so now the rear seats will fold down.

I also pulled off the front bumper. I didn't take pics but will take some when I start designing the front bumper. I think I am going to make it out 2" square tubing.

medsker

Posted: 04-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Post #18

I got my new tires and rims in. They are 37x13.50R17 Nitto Mud Grapplers. Now I have to figure out what to do in the way of lifting it up so they fit.

I will keep you up to date when I figure it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0840.JPG (114.6 KB, 23 views)

Juday

Posted: 04-04-2013, 07:43 AM
State: IN
Post #19

More pictures!!

2012 RAM POWER WAGON
285/75R17 BFG KM2 | Carli Front Diff Guard | Aluminess Front Bumper | Aluminess Rock Sliders | PIAA 540 Fog Lights

medsker

Posted: 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juday View Post
More pictures!!
I'll get some more. Right now they are off the truck while I figure out the lift. I'm leaning towards pre-runner fenders in front and Carli springs in the back. Of course I will need other things but once I get these I can figure out what I will need.
Closed Thread