Hellwig rear sway bar installed...shoulda done this a long time ago! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

opposite locker

Hellwig rear sway bar installed...shoulda done this a long time ago! - Posted: 01-14-2013, 02:02 AM
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Purchased a Hellwig 7561 rear sway bar for my '08 1500 a few weeks ago, and finally got around to installing it. Install took almost 3 hrs, but that's because I kept running inside to check on football. If I were to do it again, pretty sure I could get it done in an hour. As mentioned in the following link (which was a great help for the install), the hardest part was lowering & raising the spare. Everything bolted right up and only the right rear brake line had to be slightly moved.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340369

Results are fantastic! I notice absolutely zero degradation in ride (even on bumpy paved country roads) and the only time I've noticed it's there (other than in turns) is when going over railroad tracks or speed bumps diagonally. I really expected the ride to get worse, which is why it took so long to try

Handling is GREATLY improved, not so much in ultimate grip but in balance. Though the front suspension rolls as much as ever, the nose tucks a lot better and the greater rear roll stiffness causes the truck to actually pivot without having to use throttle lift or trail braking. I took the truck for a run up Hwy 132 and was pleasantly surprised how much faster I was able to comfortably take turns, even under full throttle.

As long as your truck is not a rock crawler / trail rig and you understand vehicle dynamics & basic car control, I highly recommend getting a rear sway bar!
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 33's on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'97 Ram 2500 CTD 4wd 5spd flatbed (247k) - plenty of fuel with a stock turbo
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

4getful2

Posted: 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
City: litchfield
State: IL
Post #2

Let us know, how that works out in the long term.
I was thinking of doing this as my truck acts a lil goofy when i'm towing my four wheelers, i always blamed it on the longer soft ride leaf springs.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

hawk02

Posted: 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
State: RI
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Nice mod for sure, made a big difference on my 05QC 4x4.
2004 RC SRT10 6spd Black, 500+ HP and 525+TQ already #50 of 3057, B&G Stage2 PCMBT underhood items, JTSVP Gen1 shifter#49 and Snakeskin radiator cover, 06 rebadged, hard tonneau with BedRug, tinted windows, WeatherTech mats and Lloyds custom ones for show, more to come JMB catless mids with Magnaflow cat back, ROE Racing TB, Screamin' demon coils and JTSVP Wires, Venomous1 Racing Billet UD pulley, K&N drop-in with Snakeskin lid and valve covers by V1R, 170* thermostat,AMI Billet handles, JMB tanks, JTSVP lowering blocks and more SnakeSkin stuff!!!!!!!!

MonsoonMike

Posted: 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Formally 07MegaCabRam
City: Chandler
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

Makes a truck drive like a car pretty much. Like he says, if you use 4x4, don't get it. It's then you have taken your car off road!

I've heard it's about the same as putting 100lbs in your bed. If you've ever driven with weight in your bed and noticed how much better the ride is. It's almost that feeling.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

opposite locker

Posted: 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Post #4
Makes a truck drive like a car pretty much. Like he says, if you use 4x4, don't get it. It's then you have taken your car off road!

I've heard it's about the same as putting 100lbs in your bed. If you've ever driven with weight in your bed and noticed how much better the ride is. It's almost that feeling.

Not at all what I said. The only time the sway bar will get in the way is when you need more wheel articulation, like on slow trails or for rock crawling. It actually makes for better traction off road with my peg leg diff...less weight transfer causes less inside wheelspin. Even with my work around the orchards (often in 4x4), I have yet to find a downside of the rear sway bar. And no, it does not make your truck feel like there's weight in the bed. The ride did not improve at all, but it also didn't get any worse.
SSBC F&R brake upgrade; Bilstein struts; Fox 2.0 shocks; McGaughy shackles; Hellwig rear sway; Bosch euro beams BTG; Hella CELIS tails; Mopar w2w steps; Airaid MIT; Magnaflow muffler & Y; Mopar wheel-well liners; 33's on 20" Centerlines; Aspen steering wheel w/SWAC; SRT brake & clutch pedals; heated/cooled Infiniti leather driver seat; Bedrug mat; BedRyder seats
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd

Audie61

Posted: 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
City: SE Idaho
State: ID
Post #6

I would have bet the ride would have stiffened up a bit at least. Maybe the lowering shackles put less of a preload on the bar. Sounds like you outta know your ride though. What was your cost? Install sounds easy enough. And why did you decide to install it at all? Just curious.

MikeHTally

Posted: 01-14-2013, 05:18 PM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Sway-bars don't affect ride quality. They sure improve handling though. I did this mod over four years ago - I love the way the truck feels like its up on its toes.

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

opposite locker

Posted: 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Sway bars only hurt ride in side-to-side bumps, like driving diagonally over a speed bump or when only one rear wheel hits a larger bump. I also expected some ride degradation because of this, but haven't noticed any negative effect. Not sure if the lowering shackles affect it, but I was worried about spare tire clearance with the small drop. Zero issues there as well.

Cost was just under $200 shipped, but that was a closeout price and they generally go for about $225 shipped. Reason I installed it:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365593

Def one of my favorite mods thus far
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd

Audie61

Posted: 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
City: SE Idaho
State: ID
Post #9

LOL I remember that post. Are you able to powerslide the rear easier now?

86bcook

Posted: 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Skid's Customz
City: Borger, Tx
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #10

Pics?

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

TheSatinPumpkin

Posted: 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Low N Slow
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHTally View Post
Sway-bars don't affect ride quality. They sure improve handling though. I did this mod over four years ago - I love the way the truck feels like its up on its toes.
X2. Handling greatly improved. Love my rear sway bar.

Swype-n from my Galaxy Note

_- under construction -_

ramjet1

Posted: 01-14-2013, 11:23 PM
Official HEMI SPORT Owner
City: Gallatin
State: TN
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

One of the best mods out there......... I'm ridin' with a Hellwig!
Flame Red 2006 Dodge Ram HEMI Sport 2 WD Quad Cab, Royal Purple 5W20 Engine Oil. Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140, K&N Performance Gold Oil Filter, Fumoto Oil Valve, NGK 5306 Copper Spark Plugs, OEM 160 Amp-HD Alternator, SharaDon Third Stage Transmission with Amsoil ATF, PML Extra Deep Trans Pan, Edge 2600 Torque Converter, AutoMeter Trans Gauge, OEM HD Trans Cooler, Custom lettered & Powdercoated RamHammer Intake, Jet 180 Thermostat, Zerex G-05 Coolant, Flex a lite Black Magic 180 X-treme Electric Fan With Flex a lite Variable Speed Control Module Kit, Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Fastman 85mm Ported Throttle Body, Jet-Hot Coated Doug Thorley Mid-Headers, Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts, Custom Powdercoated Moe's Performance Shroud Delete Kit, Cherry Bomb VORTEX Muffler Single In/Dual Out, Magnaflow Y Pipe, DiabloSport Predator U7137, SRT-10 Gauge Pillar, Keystone Good Hood, OEM Tonneau with SRT10 Replica Sport Wing, OEM Ground Effects, GroundForce 2/4 Drop, 22 inch Black machined SRT-10 Replicas, 22 Inch 305/45/22 Yokohama Parada Spec-X Tires, Premium Dimple, Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors by BrakePerformance.Com, EBC Supreme Green Front Brake Pads & Greenstuff Rear Brake Pads, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Shaved Tailgate, Sir Michael's Roll Pan, Street Scene Electric Mirrors, Powdercoated Wipers & antenna, Debadged, Tinted Windows with custom rear window Ram Logo with Flames, Flame Red Cowl & Door Handles, Flame Red Eyelids, Custom Exterior Sunvizor, Anzo Aftermarket Headlights, Ram Daytona Rear Light Covers, Custom Leather Interior From LeatherSeats.Com, WHEELSKINS Leather Steering Wheel Cover, BedRug, EATON/Detroit Tru Trac with YUKON 4.56 Gears, Concept Pattern Engineering Differential Cover-CP4062, Jimmy Jammers, Powdercoated Upper & Lower Grilles, HELLA SuperTone 118db 12 Volt Horn Kit, Duralast Platinum Battery, Clarion CX-501 Double Din/HD Radio/Bluetooth/CD Player Unit, 8 speaker POLKAudio Sound System including 2 Polk amps, Fox Subwoofer Box, Weedahoe's Custom Painted & reworked Double-Din Bezel/Painted door panels/Painted AC knobs, Griot's Garage Detailing Products

opposite locker

Posted: 01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Haven't had a chance to really try and drift it around yet, but it is definitely easier to bring the tail out under deceleration. I imagine the peg leg will still be an issue to keep the tail out, but that will be remedied in a couplet months.

Didn't post pics because it pretty much looks identical to the pics in the linked post above. Only differences are that my sway bar is flipped 180 degrees (diff hump pointed slightly down) and the sway bar mounts point downward a little more due to the slightly lowered suspension.

Plan on taking the truck for a hard run through the hills this weekend...
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd

opposite locker

Posted: 03-07-2013, 02:52 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

It's been a while, but finally took it for a good hard run (Hwy 120 thru Yosemite). Definitely handles a lot better, though I would prefer some more front roll stiffness. Still understeers if pushed too hard or on throttle too early, but that is pretty easily remedied with a hard lift of some brake application. Did scare myself around one decreasing radius turn that I entered a bit too hot...had to press a little harder on the brakes mid corner than I would've liked, and the tail just let go. Was able to catch it and though I lost plenty of momentum, it probably looked pretty cool from the outside.

Definitely a very worthwhile mod if you've got a decent grasp of car control, but would not recommend it for more inexperienced drivers or those that let their wives/kids drive a lot. Truck will handle fine 99.9% of the time, but I could see the tail coming around in one of those "emergency avoidance maneuvers"
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd

aupvstef

Posted: 03-07-2013, 02:56 AM
State: OH
Post #15

Let us know, how that works out in the long term.

opposite locker

Posted: 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Dont anticipate any problems, but will post if anything comes up. Already got a few thousand miles with the rear sway bar, and haven't noticed any negative effects
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd

irishmedic

Posted: 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Daytona 8398
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

The sway bar mod is on my top 3 of mods I need/want to do. If I had the extra cash it would have been done by now. My extra cash is now going to the wife's Jeep, it needs new wheel hubs. Besides she always comes first.
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona #8398
Silver Truck Number 212
Quad Cab Number 40
SuperChips 3865
Spectre CAI
[COLOR="NGK Plugs
Taylor Wires Blue Full Length 8.2 Thunder Volts
85mm Ported TB
Sonnax Transmission Line Pressure Booster
AirRam PowerWire
AirRam Jet Stream Scoop
Jet 180 TStat
Borla Exhaust
Magnaflow Y Pipe
RP in motor/differentials/transmission/radiator/power steering/transfer case
Bilstien Shocks
Painted calipers
Drilled and slotted rotors x 4
Sirius Sat Radio
WeatherTech Window Vents and floor mats
Access Tonnosport
Dupli-color bedliner with kevlar

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport (wife's vehicle)
Spectre drop in filter
Jet 180 TStat
RP in motor/differentials/transmission/radiator/power steering
Drilled and slotted rotors (fronts only)
General Grabber AT2 tires
Blacked out rims
Skyjacker Nitro 8000 shocks/Skyjacker Hydro 7000 steering stabilizer
Painted calipers
Sirius Sat Radio

opposite locker

Posted: 03-11-2013, 02:01 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Money well spent...I'm sure you'll agree when you get one
'14 CTS-V estate 6spd
'84 euro 635csi 5spd
Closed Thread