Trade RAM+GC for Durango+Dart?? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

gutty96

Trade RAM+GC for Durango+Dart?? - Posted: 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
State: ON
Post #1

My wife and I are finding our vehicles smaller (2008 Jeep GC) and less practical (2010 RAM) now that we have a 4 month old and all the stuff that needs to go with him. If you want to fit any one else (grandparents, friends, etc) you simply cannot in the Jeep, or in the RAM you can, but everything is in the box, sliding around with potential for damage.

My wife and I were at first thinking of trading the Jeep in for a new Durango (she drove one yesterday and loves it). After thinking about it, I can't see any reason for us to have a Durango and a RAM.

The vast majority of my kms/miles are my daily commute to work and back, and frankly, I don't need a truck to do it. I just have always likely driving a truck, but the potential of saving $4-5k a year on gas alone makes me think that if we had a Durango, it would make more sense for me to also trade in the truck for a fuel saver, like a base model Dart SE (hell I don't even care if it is manual, just as long as it has A/C).

Would a dealership be able to take in two trades, sell two vehicles in ONE deal? Or does it even make sense to do so?

Just thinking out loud here guys, any advise or opinions would be great to hear.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VINCH

Posted: 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
City: Lancaster
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutty96 View Post

Would a dealership be able to take in two trades, sell two vehicles in ONE deal? Or does it even make sense to do so?

Just thinking out loud here guys, any advise or opinions would be great to hear.

I see no reason a dealer wont take a 2 car trade in for 1 or 2 vehicle sale

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
285/75/17 Toyo Open Country Xtreme ATII
Pin striping by Bob Spina
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Porter_

Posted: 01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
State: WA
Post #3

yeah dealers will take multiple vehicles in on trade. word of caution: I had the same thought about 5 years ago and traded in my '03 Ram for a car. that lasted about 18 months. it's tough to give up your truck if you're a truck guy.

moparman72

Posted: 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
2011 Outdoorsman
State: MA
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porter_ View Post
yeah dealers will take multiple vehicles in on trade. word of caution: I had the same thought about 5 years ago and traded in my '03 Ram for a car. that lasted about 18 months. it's tough to give up your truck if you're a truck guy.
I agree, i traded in my 02 QC for a 05 Magnum. It lasted one year and one snow storm. I was then back into an 06 QC. Gas is never an issue for this truck guy. I will never drive a cat again.
Member Blue Truck Club #263
2011 Ram Crew Cab Outdoorsman
Led interior lights, custom dual exhaust, tri-fold tonneau

BEsRaider

Posted: 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM
City: Manassas, VA
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #5

Keep the truck. Buy a motorcycle. Problem solved!!!

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEsRaider View Post
Keep the truck. Buy a motorcycle. Problem solved!!!
BOOM! That's what I did.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

Horai

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
City: Derbyshire, England
State: OTHER
Post #7

Agreed, the idea for me of going back to a car is just bad.

Ram18

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:15 PM
City: Syracuse
State: NY
Post #8

You're gonna lose a lot of money trying to trade BOTH at the same time in the same deal. It's complicated enough dealing with just one trade and making sure you're getting your value for that trade and a good deal on the new car. In fact, it is recommended not to have any trade at all and to sell a car yourself. Remember, the dealers have their ways of moving money around in a trade to make it look like you're getting a great deal. For example, they'll claim that you're getting the new car below invoice while at the same time, they are giving you 1000's less for your trade.

But for most people it comes down to convenience. And many (including myself) really don't want to deal with trying to sell a car themselves.

You don't have to wait that long in between deals, but I would trade each vehicle at different times.

2008 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4X4 HEMI (mine)
SLT Big Horn
3.92 gears
20" chrome clad wheels
Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60R20
MBRP dual exhaust split rear
SC3865

2007 Chrysler Aspen AWD HEMI (hers)
Limited
3.55 gears
20" chrome clad wheels

2001 Ram Quad Cab 1500 4X4 5.9 Off Road
2001 Durango SLT 4X4 4.7

Last edited by Ram18 : 01-13-2013 at 02:20 PM.

gutty96

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Post #9

Gas is not an issue for me, never has been, never will be for as long as I own a truck. In fact, if I am the first person to advocate if you own a truck don't take about MPG, you made you choice when you bought it, and I accept that.

That being said, I can still see the potential for money saved with me owning a car ( a motorcycle is out, the thought of nothing between me and the ground but air scares the crap out of me) is still valid.

Also, does my daily commute really matter what I drive? Would my truck fix not be met when I drive the Durango on weekends and family trips?

moparman72

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM
2011 Outdoorsman
State: MA
Post #10

I test drove a Durango when looking at my 11. I loved the way it drove but was still a little soccer mom-ish for me. That's why I'm trying to convince my wife to buy one when the lease on her VW is up.
Member Blue Truck Club #263
2011 Ram Crew Cab Outdoorsman
Led interior lights, custom dual exhaust, tri-fold tonneau

Porter_

Posted: 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
State: WA
Post #11

Quote:
Also, does my daily commute really matter what I drive? Would my truck fix not be met when I drive the Durango on weekends and family trips?
That's your call. My wife drives a Civic so when I have up my truck it was nothing but cars for us. The new Durangos are pretty damn nice.

VernL

Posted: 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM
City: Dayton, OH
Post #12

I think your ideal setup would be a new fuel efficient minivan for mom & a new 8 speed V6 Crew Cab Ram for you. When you got kids & their friends & all that comes with it.. the minivan is THE BOMB. Might seem newborn today but its around the corner. Life is going to change fast. Skip the stupid bucket seat setup and the Crew can reasonably comfortably buckle in up to 6. The acclaimed 305 HP 3.6 with 8 speed moves out well and 25 mpg rocks in a truck. Might wait for the 6 foot box as the 5 foot box sucks and maybe the new transmission in the mini.

Last edited by VernL : 01-13-2013 at 03:08 PM.

gutty96

Posted: 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernL View Post
I think your ideal setup would be a new fuel efficient minivan for mom & a new 8 speed V6 Crew Cab Ram for you. When you got kids & their friends & all that comes with it.. the minivan is THE BOMB. Might seem newborn today but its around the corner. Life is going to change fast. Skip the stupid bucket seat setup and the Crew can reasonably comfortably buckle in up to 6. The acclaimed 305 HP 3.6 with 8 speed moves out well and 25 mpg rocks in a truck. Might wait for the 6 foot box as the 5 foot box sucks and maybe the new transmission in the mini.
Very valid setup. But, my wife's exact words "I will never drive a van". So no dice there.

As for a V6 truck. The 15-20% increase in MPG is just not worth it to me. I will take a HEMI @ 17MPG over a Pentastar V6 @ 24-25MPG with no hesitation. However, a car @ 50+MPG. Maybe.....

Noved

Posted: 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Ram n Ram Ram
City: Kansas City area
State: KS
Post #14

Quote:
Very valid setup. But, my wife's exact words "I will never drive a van". So no dice there.

As for a V6 truck. The 15-20% increase in MPG is just not worth it to me. I will take a HEMI @ 17MPG over a Pentastar V6 @ 24-25MPG with no hesitation. However, a car @ 50+MPG. Maybe.....
I agree after having an 08 that was a V6 and going to the Hemi I do not care to buy a V6 truck again and the mileage really is not that much different. I cannot speak for the Pentastar on mileage though since I have not driven one.
Former Trucks
2011 Ram 2500 5.7L Hemi CC 4x4 4.10s (2 Years ownership)
2008 Ram 1500 3.7L V6 RCLB 4x2 3.92s (3 Years ownership)
Former Mineral Grey Club Member #77

Whiteout08

Posted: 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
City: Rochester
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

I have a 10 month old at home...my wife used to have a Malibu but we ended up getting rid of it due to the amount of stuff (as you said) that goes along with traveling with a child. We traded in her 2010 Malibu LTZ for a 2012 Traverse LS....awesome SUV for sure, the amount of stuff we can fit in there is crazy.

Good luck no matter what direction you go!

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express QC - Mineral Grey - GONE!!

nightstalker56

Posted: 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM
State: NJ
Post #16

I am a owner of a 2011 awd/v6 durango citadal with all the toys and my go to vehicle is my 2006 r/t charger. I enjoy toys since I have become older and my sight is not as great at night,high beam assist and the back up camera and crash controls and park assist help greatly. I only wish my bike 07 suzuki M-109r had heat seats. my truck is the one with the extra seat but most would like the durango crew awd hemi. nice family vehicle for your love ones and sporty enough for just crusing. I am just saying

Gopackgo69

Posted: 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

I got my wife a hemi durango last year, overall its ok, the seats are junk in my opinion, and with her driving she gets 12.5 mpg. Not sure whats up with that. Other than that its a great suv. I would recommend v-6 and 8 speed, and look at the comfort of the seats. And on trading your truck for a car, I did that. I traded in my lifted 2008 for a 2011 challenger r/t. That lasted 3 months and went back to a truck.

gutty96

Posted: 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Post #18

The v6 in the Durango comes with 5spd. There is no option for 8spd yet.

Yes I do agree, it would be very hard to give up my truck, I haven't had a car in 8 years.

iwin

Posted: 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
CTD
City: America
Post #19

I think you should just go with your gut.

That being said, I traded my 03 in on an 08 Subaru WRX and loved it! But then 2 weeks shy of a year of having it, I really started suffering from truck withdrawls. Didn't take long to find something I liked and here I am today with my 06.

VernL

Posted: 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM
City: Dayton, OH
Post #20

Hey guys the old V6 & 5 speed truck bears little resemblance to the MUCH stronger Pentastar V6 and MUCH improved gearing of the 8 speed. Drive one it moves out compaired to the old stuff. Your wife gets used to being a mommy and rides in a mini with another mom you alls kids and she may change her mind. lol thats how it happened to us.
Closed Thread