Infinity amp dead?? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

The King

Infinity amp dead?? - Posted: 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM
It's good to the the king
City: St Pete
State: FL
Post #1

I have an 04 QC Ram with the Infinity system. I purchased it only about a month ago and its always been like this so I can't give much history.

Basically, when every setting in the stereo is set to 0, all I hear is the dash drivers. No bass, just high. Playing with the fader and balance, all the door speakers DO work, just very soft compared to the dash. If I fade it a good amount to the rear, and up the bass, drop the highs, it helps but I figure it shouldn't be that way.

Today I put in my Kenwood HU with the proper Metra kit. Same issue so it wasn't the factory HU. I haven't yet pulled the door panels off to check for problems, but since the speakers DO work, I figured nothing too big can be wrong with them.

Replacement amps are kinda pricey to buy just as a hunch....

Has anyone had an amp half die? Speakers half die? Any ideas?!?!?

Thanks guys!
Advertisement

weedahoe

Posted: 01-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #2

why not replace the door speakers and bypass the OEM amp?
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

The King

Posted: 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Post #3

If the amp ends up being dead, that's probably my next plan. Just looking for anyone who may have had similar experiences before throwing more parts/money at it

Anyone got an amp laying around they would let me borrow to troubleshoot?!? Lol

weedahoe

Posted: 01-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Tricked out Ram
City: Albany
State: GA
Post #4

Yeah, that's crazy because I had one i couldn't give away for a while. Finally took it apart and threw everything out but the aluminum housing
2004 2wd Dodge Ram QC w/a 5.7 with Royal Purple 5w-20 in the motor, RP Max ATF in the trans, 80-90w in the 4.56 Auburn LSD rolling on American Racing Dale Earnhart "Tank" 24s wrapped in Pirelli 325/45/24s (36" tires)

| Debadged | SRT-10 hood | Custom CAI | Fumoto oil valve | 12" of lift | Power Wire | 9007 Bi-Xenon 6k | 9006 Single Beam 6K | 2nd battery tray (2K CCA total) | Big 3 upgrade w/1ga wire | Altezza clear tails w/LEDs | Clear LED 3rd light | 26gal to 35gal fuel tank swap | Viair 380c air compressor | train horns | Ceramic pads (F&R) | Westin Nerfs | Chrome door/tailgate handles | Custom switch panel | Custom center console | B&M QuickSilver floor shifer | Xbox 360 | Audiobahn A8000V (1600w sub amp) | Audiobahn 2002V (400w mid/high amp) | 2 12" Kicker DVC CVRs in a FoxBox | 4 Kicker DS650s (front & rears) | 2 Kicker KS350s (dash) | 2 8" LCD screens in the sunvisors | 2 6" LCD screens in the headrest | Clifford 50.7x alarm | 20/15% tint | Diablo Trinity - custom and 93 tuned | Mopar 6.1 ignition conversion | Start ignition push button | KRC 210 cam | 6.1 springs & pushrods | 6.1 half covers | 180* T-stat | Taurus E-fan | Pacesetter ceramic LTs | dual DMH cutouts | (2) 4x14" round magnaflows | 4x24" tips | X pipe | Jimmy Jammers | Ported (85mm) TB | Innovate LC-1 wideband | Sonnax transmission pressure booster | Mopar slush mats | RBP grill | powder coated calipers | custom rim/grill lights |

Link to my gallery

Next projects:

- Custom center console
- B&M Quicksilver Floor shifter
- Custom CAI
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Post #5

Since you replaced the head unit and the speaker's work, pretty much just leaves the amp. You can check the connector's at the amp to make sure there ok. (The amp is a bitch to get to) The factory amp suck's anyway. If it were me i would just get an aftermarket amp and tap into the harness or run new wire's to the speaker's. (you don't have to spend alot of money to get something decent) The differance in the sound (especially since you have a new HU) is worth it. Try to get an idea of what speaker's you like so you can match an amp big enough that will run them to max capacity. The reason for this is after you hear the differance the new amp make's, you will more than likely want more. The factory speaker aren't that good and will be the next thing to get rid of. JMO

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's

The King

Posted: 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Post #6

I do have one of the old school Rockford amps laying around, was just trying to not get a stereo snowball started, lol. I DO love good tunes so it wouldn't take much arm twisting for it to happen!

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Post #7

I hear you on the snowballing. Been there done that. lolol In the end though it was well worth it. Good tune's and a good stereo make driving all that much more enjoyable. It put's a smile on my face everytime i crank it up. Well that and the sound of a cammed Hemi. lolol

Performance:Vararam Intake/Dynatech's w/Hi-Flow Cat's&Stage 8's/Borla/Daytona Exhaust/Black Magic E-Fan/Ported&Polished TB/Jet 180* Tsat/Predetor Tuner/BellTech swaybar/TA Performance Cover/Amsol Fluid's

Apperance:SRT-10 Rear Spoiler/Hemi badges on scoop/Scoop Insert/Line of Fire/Easy-Down/Painted Caliber's/Billet strut cover's

Interior:Triple Pillar Pod w/Phantom Gauges-Wideband Afr-Oil-Water/Custom led's/Billet-Ram head knob's-Door pin's-Power window panel's-Glove box dash plate& more/Daytona mat's

The King

Posted: 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Post #8

I pulled off one door panel today JUST to make sure the speaker wasnt blown, although having all 4 door speakers gone at the same time is odd. Anyway, it looked fine so im concluding that its the amp... or a crossover or some component inside.

I did look at the FSM and there seems to be two B+ inputs into the amp, so possibly theres two separate amps inside of the housing, one for highs, one for lows? Thats why my dash speakers work just fine?!?

Anyway.... i called my local audiophile friend (hes way overboard than any of us could imagine with sound quality and speaker efficiency) and of course he said stock stuff is crap, and get an aftermarket. He told me he just got a new Rockford Punch 400w 4 channel amp for his truck for like $200 and it REALLY impressed him (so for anyone normal it'll be superb). I think I'm just going to get one of those. The main reason I hesitated using my old Punch was its a 2-channel and I didnt want to mess around with crossovers and caps etc just yet.

So all I need is the Metra Amp Bypass kit? Im guessing that plugs into the body/speaker harness and then I just wire that to the amp? Then run RCA's from my HU to the amp? I dont want to run all new wires to each speaker.

Thanks for your input so far!

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Post #9

You got it. I did'nt bother to get the harness. (i put that money toward the new amp) Being i was already at the amp i just unplugged it and tapped into the harness with posi-tap's for the door speaker's from the amp. I left everything so it could be hooked back up incase i decieded to go back to stock. I did run new wire's off the head unit to the dash speaker's. (it's really easy to do)

The King

Posted: 01-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Post #10

Did you mount your new amp in the factory location or under the seat or something else?

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Post #11

I guess you never seen where they mounted the factory amp? It's behind the glove box, you can barely get in there to remove it. You also have to remove half the dash to get to it. No room there for it there. I put it under my driver side seat because i already have a powered sub under my pass. seat. Here's a pic so you can see where it's at. This is after you cut your hand's up and get the bolt's out. lolol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0387s.JPG (89.4 KB, 3 views)

The King

Posted: 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05hemi View Post
I guess you never seen where they mounted the factory amp? It's behind the glove box, you can barely get in there to remove it. You also have to remove half the dash to get to it. No room there for it there. I put it under my driver side seat because i already have a powered sub under my pass. seat. Here's a pic so you can see where it's at. This is after you cut your hand's up and get the bolt's out. lolol
Haha yeah, I pulled off my glove box door and peeked up there to see it. I was planning on putting this new one under the seat unless you gave me some awesome reason to keep it up there. If anything, I'd want it in a spot where I could get to the adjustments on it easily.

Where in FL are you?

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Post #13

Yea, under the seat is best for accessability. I just put some of the hook side off of velcro on the bottom to help keep it from sliding around. I'm just across the bay from Destin. Oh! i have the color code for the wiring if you need to know what wire's to tap into for the speaker's. Just let me know if you need it.

The King

Posted: 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Post #14

Thanks, I'll let you know. I believe stereo wiring have become standard, and I ordered the Metra amp bypass harness anyway since it was cheap, but I'll let you know if I get stuck (also have the FSM)

I drove to FWB a few yrs ago for some parts for my Shelby Dodge. Not a terrible drive, about 8 hrs. We stopped in Defunk Springs for the night... And for some strong-ass margaritas at some local messican joint

blk05hemi

Posted: 01-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Post #15

Cool!!! There's 2 wiring harness'es, 1 w/U connect and 1 w/o. The wiring color code is differant between the 2. The connector should make it so you don't have to fiqure out which harness you have. Yea, i went to school in Defuniak for a couple yrs. when first moved up here from Miami. When asked where i lived, i would reply a small town with 1 sign. On one side it said Welcome to Defuniak Spring's on the other side it said Thank You come again. lolol

Closed Thread