Remote Start brands - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

01 Ram OFFROAD

Remote Start brands - Posted: 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
State: IL
Post #1

I am looking to put a remote starter on my 06 cummins and i was wondering if there was a brand that stood out above the rest. I have looked at Viper and it seems like they have a good products. Just asking for some input. Thanks!
Advertisement

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Retired DT Staff
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Viper, Clifford, etc are all good. I have a Scytek in my Durango... Have had it for four years now with no issues. Works just as we'll as viper
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

MonsoonMike

Posted: 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
::Mike::
City: Chandler
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

I've run Clifford for many years. Their Matrix stuff is really nice. Anything really from DEI is good.

::2014 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab Granite Crystal Metallic::

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dmcelhannon

Posted: 01-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #4

I've never had anything but the Clifford Systems.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

rootkit

Posted: 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Jeremy
City: North Hollywood
State: CA
View This User's Garage
Post #5

i have the mopar kit in the garage.... id go that route.
diy pre-filter - edge with attitude - kenwood tm-271a

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Administrator
City: Windsor Ontario Canada
State: OTHER
View This User's Timeslip
Post #6

Make sure you get one that has the grid heater delay for the Cummins.

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

MonsoonMike

Posted: 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
Post #7

And find one with a turbo timer!

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07MegaCabRam View Post
I wondered about this. Does the turbo have to cool down or something? What happens if you don't let it run when you stop?

I have the Clifford system in my truck along with the Viper Smart Start. I am a freak about locking my truck multiple times and if I don't remember if I did or not I use the Smart Start

The one thing I dislike is the remotes are junk. I take extra care for them and they still separate to where it makes no noise like it should. I might glue it together.
2004 Rumble Bee #1546 4X4
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...

ungluedcargo

Posted: 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Nut up or Shut up
City: Aurora
State: CO
Post #9

Turbos usually need to cool off for around 3 minutes or so at idle, depending on manufactures recommendation. Running a turbo and then shutting it down without cooling is a great way to destroy a turbo. The bearings need the oil to circulate without a load to bring the temperature down.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk.

08 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 loaded. A.r.e Z series topper, Line-X liner, Bushwacker pocket flares, tinted windows,Galaxy Miradge 44HP Cb,Wilson 1000 Cb antenna, Weather Tech floor liners, AVS vent visors, Painted Sport Bumper cover,Painted grill, Mopar nerf bars,Mopar wheel well liners and Retro Solutions Head and Fog lights,Retro Solutions l.e.d backup lights, Mopar cab lights, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Magnaflow Y pipe, AFE drop in filter, Kore H.P Lift kit, Carli Trackbar, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Boost Rims, 4.56 gears,Borgeson steering shaft, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Optima yellow top batt,Superchips Flashpaq, Smoked led tails and 3rd brake light, Stainless brake lines, Kobalt toolbox, Recon Projector Backup lights,Retro Headlights from Demon Hemi, Rvs Backup camera, and the ever important Cartman figure on dash.

Red truck club #281

rootkit

Posted: 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Jeremy
City: North Hollywood
View This User's Garage
Post #10

Quote:
Most tuners have this, pull the key and walk away 310 it shuts off. The pain is putting the alarm on... If you set it the Cummins sets it off T_T haha.
diy pre-filter - edge with attitude - kenwood tm-271a

dmcelhannon

Posted: 01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluedcargo View Post
Turbos usually need to cool off for around 3 minutes or so at idle, depending on manufactures recommendation. Running a turbo and then shutting it down without cooling is a great way to destroy a turbo. The bearings need the oil to circulate without a load to bring the temperature down.

If you get the Clifford system, you need to get the optional communication cable and then you can down load the CliffNet Wizard software from the Clifford web site. Then you make any changes that you need with the software. The software is the same one the techs use to find and solve problems with the system. You can even use the software to watch your battery level, how far the open the front windows, the lights and sounds, and just about everything else. The security system is not cheap and the labor to install it is almost as much as the system.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

01 Ram OFFROAD

Posted: 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
State: IL
Post #12

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a lot of research and ahead of me.

-Arana-

Posted: 01-03-2013, 12:22 AM
-Arana-
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

I am pretty happy with my Viper alarm

2012 Express Hemi Ram
Flowmaster super44/Magnaflow Y pipe/Vararam Ram Air Intake/Belltech SP 2/4 drop/U-2 55 24s/5 inch Pypes black tips/1400 Pioneer DVD/Xtant 5Channel Amp/Kicker CVR 12/Pioneer 6x9s all around/ Viper Alarm 5704/Rear View Camera/Smoked Taillights/Smoked 3rd Brake light/LED Reverse and Cargo Lights/Debadged/Custom Texans Badges/LED bulbs everywhere/Switchbacks/Black housing headlights/Tint/Eyebrow Tint/Mr. Norms roof spoiler/

2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone But not forgotten 2008 4.7 RAM

cHemi05

Posted: 01-03-2013, 02:04 AM
State: AB
Post #14

I love my viper alarm/started combo, had it on my truck for 4 years and no problems. I have the top of the line model with the proximity sensors and everything... starts from over a mile away, only true 2-way remote to vehicle communication, so it chirps at you and lets you know if someone is walking by and on what side, (overkill for sure, but hey nice to know) its a great unit, only downside is the battery goes dead every 3 weeks cause its constantly communicating back and forth, but it's just one aaa battery and the new models you can charge with usb cord... anyways if you are looking to really spoil yourself and spend close to about a grand on a system then thats the one, but there are lots cheaper ones that will do the trick too. Anything from directed electronics, which includes viper, clifford, and a bunch of others... will be a good product, viper is just like the top of the line model. I wouldn't hesitate going the viper route and I know many local installers and for me personally as well, wouldn't buy anything but a viper product.

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 01-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Administrator
Post #15

Quote:

Thats an old wives tail. The ONLY time a turbo needs to be cooled down for a couple minutes is when you have been working it HARD pulling a load.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

DodgeTalk Administrator

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

ungluedcargo

Posted: 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Nut up or Shut up
City: Aurora
State: CO
Post #16

Mack and International still put it in the owners manuals and on the visors on the trucks we have. But I can see where it might not be needed as much on a smaller vehicle like a pickup unless it's used hard.

08 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 loaded. A.r.e Z series topper, Line-X liner, Bushwacker pocket flares, tinted windows,Galaxy Miradge 44HP Cb,Wilson 1000 Cb antenna, Weather Tech floor liners, AVS vent visors, Painted Sport Bumper cover,Painted grill, Mopar nerf bars,Mopar wheel well liners and Retro Solutions Head and Fog lights,Retro Solutions l.e.d backup lights, Mopar cab lights, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Magnaflow Y pipe, AFE drop in filter, Kore H.P Lift kit, Carli Trackbar, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Boost Rims, 4.56 gears,Borgeson steering shaft, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Optima yellow top batt,Superchips Flashpaq, Smoked led tails and 3rd brake light, Stainless brake lines, Kobalt toolbox, Recon Projector Backup lights,Retro Headlights from Demon Hemi, Rvs Backup camera, and the ever important Cartman figure on dash.

Red truck club #281

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Administrator
Post #17

Quote:
Mack and International still put it in the owners manuals and on the visors on the trucks we have. But I can see where it might not be needed as much on a smaller vehicle like a pickup unless it's used hard.

Correct, that is for a big truck pulling 40K. Only time you need to cool the turbo down on a pickup is right when you come off the highway pulling a trailer. For around town driving its not needed.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

DodgeTalk Administrator

MonsoonMike

Posted: 01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Post #18

And don't forget. You can download the APP so you can unlock/lock and start your truck from anywhere in the world.
*for a small fee.

RUMBLE BEE 1546

Posted: 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
BEE Ready!
Post #19

Quote:
And don't forget. You can download the APP so you can unlock/lock and start your truck from anywhere in the world.
*for a small fee.
Mine was $135 installed at best buy. I got it a few years after the alarm system. I think it's only about $50 a year or something?
2004 Rumble Bee #1546 4X4
Ryan
Performance: Super Chips 3865, K&N CAI, Edelbrock Shorty Headers, Dual Exhaust with 18" Magnaflow Muffler and Y-pipe, Power Wire, Sonnax Line Booster, Jet 180* t-stat, Taylor 8.2mm Shortie wires, Flex-A-Lite 183 E-fan, Grounded TB.
Appearance: 22" Black BOSS 334's wrapped in Nexen Tires, LED Tail Lights & Third, Shorty Antenna, Honeycomb Grill, Tint:5% Visor and Rear Window, Deadged, Retro'd 8000k Projected HID Headlights w/ SMD Halos, 3000k HID Fogs, Switchback LED Turns, Full LED Bulb Swap, Snugtop Tonneau w/ Stripe Extensions & 1546 in Stripe
Other: Kenwood KDC-X994, Pioneer 5ch amp wired to 2 10" Diamond Audio Subs in a custom ported box and 2 Kenwood Door Speakers, Clifford Remote Starter/Alarm System w/ Smart Start, Husky Floor Liners, Push Button Start, Jimmy Jammers.
Future Mods: Cam, Alarm Accessories (Motion Sensors, Microphone Sensors, Level Sensor, ect.)...
Closed Thread