Performance Upgrade Questions - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Heavy Duty Diesel Talk

Closed Thread

SoCal Hemi

Performance Upgrade Questions - Posted: 12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
City: Riverside, California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

I have just recently purchased a new 2012 CTD Mega Cab 2500.

I have been trying to research and review what components are available for this vehicle since I have always upgraded my vehicles I don't see this one remaining stock for long either.

My questions are which manufacturer's would you recommend for the EGR/DPF Delete kits, Air Intake Systems, Programmer and an Exhaust ? I have noticed that not many components are available for the 2012's for whatever reason.

I am really trying to avoid an exhaust system or upgrades that create an annoying drone noise. I would like for it to remain rather quiet if that's possible with the upgrades I have mentioned.

Thank you,

Michael

Stock For Now ! ! !

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi Sold !

ATI ProCharger 7 PSI, Diablo Sport Trinity, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Rancho Quick Lift Leveling Kit, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks In The Rear, Rancho My Ride Wireless Ride Controller, Eagle Alloy Wheels 17x9, BFG Mud Terrain KM2 35x12.50x17, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Black Powder Coated Billet Grille Inserts(Upper & Lower), Billet Tailgate Latch, Billet Flame Door Handles, Fox Acoustics Box, W/ 2 10" Kicker Comp VR's, MB Quart 1000w Amp, Pioneer 6x9 and 6.5" Door Speakers, Kenwood DNX 8120 Navigation, Hella's Behind The Grille & HID Kit For The Headlights and Fog Lights.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VINCH

Posted: 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM
City: Lancaster
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Hemi View Post
I have just recently purchased a new 2012 CTD Mega Cab 2500.

I have been trying to research and review what components are available for this vehicle since I have always upgraded my vehicles I don't see this one remaining stock for long either.

My questions are which manufacturer's would you recommend for the EGR/DPF Delete kits, Air Intake Systems, Programmer and an Exhaust ? I have noticed that not many components are available for the 2012's for whatever reason.

I am really trying to avoid an exhaust system or upgrades that create an annoying drone noise. I would like for it to remain rather quiet if that's possible with the upgrades I have mentioned.

Thank you,

Michael
I would leave the engine/exhaust alone
#1 California's smog laws you get caught it is $10,000 fine
#2 Chrysler LLC will void your warranty if you do any of the listed performance modifications you listed

I am close friends with my service writer and he made it clear that I cant modify my 2012 3500 CTD like I did my Hemi and if I did my warrant would be toast. He said that Chrysler LLC is looking real hard at Mods done to CTD cause it has cost them $$ in years past.

Also why do you need more that 350 hp and 85#torque my beast has eaten everything I could throw at it no problems only thing you might gain is some MPG but is did not think it was worth the loss of 5yr 100,000 mile warranty
My .02

Red Neck White Hair Blue Collar
2012 Ram Crew Cab 3500 6.7 H.O. CTD 4x4 SRW
285/75/17 Toyo Open Country Xtreme ATII
Pin striping by Bob Spina
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

SoCal Hemi

Posted: 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Post #3

I am well aware of the smog and warranty implications, I am more so interested in further increasing the fuel economy than the additional power and torque.

Stock For Now ! ! !

ATI ProCharger 7 PSI, Diablo Sport Trinity, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Rancho Quick Lift Leveling Kit, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks In The Rear, Rancho My Ride Wireless Ride Controller, Eagle Alloy Wheels 17x9, BFG Mud Terrain KM2 35x12.50x17, Bushwacker Fender Flares, Black Powder Coated Billet Grille Inserts(Upper & Lower), Billet Tailgate Latch, Billet Flame Door Handles, Fox Acoustics Box, W/ 2 10" Kicker Comp VR's, MB Quart 1000w Amp, Pioneer 6x9 and 6.5" Door Speakers, Kenwood DNX 8120 Navigation, Hella's Behind The Grille & HID Kit For The Headlights and Fog Lights.

SikHemi

Posted: 12-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Mopar Or No Car
City: 08360
State: NJ
Post #4

Look into h&s. also 2nd gen manifold swap for sound

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
3" catback true duals w/ x-pipe
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
plastidiped grill & tailgate ram
stubby antenna
Line-X
Morimoto 5Five 6K heads & fogs

DieselWorkin

Posted: 12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
6 Big Cylinders
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Since you want it quiet just do a "DPF delete pipe". It's called a dpf delete pipe but will replace the nox and dpf with a straight piece of pipe. You will want one that has the 3 bolt flange on one end that will bolt to the stock downpipe, and the other end will slip fit into the stock muffler. The stock downpipe has a cat which will keep the exterior and interior sound from getting very loud and prevent drone. (I have had this setup on my truck) If that proved to be too loud you could splice in another muffler into the delete pipe if you needed to. I can't imagine needing to do that, but it would be an option.

For EGR, since you'll need smog check every 2 years don't remove the EGR. The tuner will disable it automatically.

For the tuner, you may or may not have heard both Smarty and H&S recently stopped selling dpf delete tuners. As far as I have seen you can still find tuners for sale though. I don't really have a recommendation between the two. I've run both and both worked. 2012 results may be different than mine. I like H&S for the gauges.

NoPlugsRequired

Posted: 12-31-2012, 12:27 AM
State: AZ
Post #6

The delete pipe... that does require a tuner or EGR delete kit to prevent throwing codes, correct?

'12 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 4x4 CrewCab Longbed
Carli 3" "Dominator", Trussed and Hydo'd front, AFE Intake, Deleted, 4" TBE, 37" Toyo M/Ts on TrailReady 5 Black/Black wheels, H&S Mini Maxx Race w/ Trans unlock and MCC tuned by Draconian, ISSPRO triple pillars (EGT, Boost and Drive Pressure), ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor, Custom Tube Bumper, Custom Bed Supports, AMP steps, Race Radio, Spare Tire Lock and enough Lighting to need sunglasses at night

DieselWorkin

Posted: 12-31-2012, 02:03 AM
6 Big Cylinders
View This User's Garage
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPlugsRequired View Post
The delete pipe... that does require a tuner or EGR delete kit to prevent throwing codes, correct?
Basically yes if you remove the DPF you need a tuner with dpf delete tuning. Otherwise it would throw codes and probably end up in some kind of limp mode. There is also another method that much fewer people seem to use... With the use of resisters connected to a few of the sensors that plug into the DPF you can trick the computer into thinking it never needs to regen... I don't know much about it. Considering the heat the tuning companies have taken recently it may start to become a more common method. Just google "6.7 cummins resistors delete" or something along those lines and I'm sure you'll find the info you need if interested.

For EGR delete on 4th gens (2010+) if you install a dpf delete tuner then you don't have to touch the EGR at all. EGR will be disabled automatically in the tuning. If you use the fooler method to delete the DPF I'm not sure that there is any way to avoid throwing a code if you unplug or remove the EGR, but it's not something I am very familiar with so I don't know for sure.

jasonsdakota

Posted: 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Post #8

hmmm... what kind of gas mileage can the 6.7 get when you delete the dpf. its pretty horrific stock as i understand.
superchips w/custom trans tune
retro solutions 55watt 4300k hids, stock reflectors, BEST MOD YET!!
trifecta tannoe cover covering 500lbs of pdr tools
4 dually spots
retro 5 watt led reverse lights
180 t-stat

coming soon to a transmission near you
edge 2700 stall converter
one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo

SoCal Hemi

Posted: 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsdakota View Post
hmmm... what kind of gas mileage can the 6.7 get when you delete the dpf. its pretty horrific stock as i understand.
I am currently getting 14-15 around town and 18 on short freeway runs completely stock, then again it barely has 1k miles on the truck at the moment either. Would kind of like to know the same information myself.

Just basically trying to gauge what to begin planning towards/around so I don't have to do the upgrades multiple times.

Stock For Now ! ! !

NoPlugsRequired

Posted: 01-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Post #10

A big thing is gonna depend on the gears... I've got 4.10s so I'm hitting 2k RPMs at 70. But on my daily drive where I'm running 55 or so, I've been able to get my EVIC as high as 16.5... but it's usually in the 15-15.5 range.

Carli 3" "Dominator", Trussed and Hydo'd front, AFE Intake, Deleted, 4" TBE, 37" Toyo M/Ts on TrailReady 5 Black/Black wheels, H&S Mini Maxx Race w/ Trans unlock and MCC tuned by Draconian, ISSPRO triple pillars (EGT, Boost and Drive Pressure), ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor, Custom Tube Bumper, Custom Bed Supports, AMP steps, Race Radio, Spare Tire Lock and enough Lighting to need sunglasses at night

SoCal Hemi

Posted: 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Post #11

Yeah I know what you mean, that was why I went with the 3:73's personally.

Stock For Now ! ! !

NoPlugsRequired

Posted: 01-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Post #12

For that reason... yes, the 3.73s would be good. But the 4.10s come with a lot higher towing capacity which works great for me.

neebs22

Posted: 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM
State: KS
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsdakota View Post
The DPF isn't causing the biggest hit to MPG... it's the EGR.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4... Traded

2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins

SikHemi

Posted: 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #14

I just bought a 6.7 stroker. ( Cummins is the mess that Strokin leaves behind). I'm doing a dpf delete on Friday. It will help your mpg's a lot. Egr.. Exhaust gas recirculator. Meaning it recycles gas back into motor. If u take off filter then soot just exits exhaust faster. Instead of staying in filter and then making truck go into regen. Delete it.

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

jasonsdakota

Posted: 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Post #15

how does the 6.7 compare to the old 5.9 for gas mileage once you delete the egr and dpf? 5.9 has neither right?
superchips w/custom trans tune
retro solutions 55watt 4300k hids, stock reflectors, BEST MOD YET!!
trifecta tannoe cover covering 500lbs of pdr tools
4 dually spots
retro 5 watt led reverse lights
180 t-stat

coming soon to a transmission near you
edge 2700 stall converter
one ton cooler

dream mods
lt headers
sidewinder
6.4 stroker
sts turbo

SikHemi

Posted: 01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #16

Now I'm at 14-15 with 35's. hoping to see 18-20 after I get done playing.

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

SoCal Hemi

Posted: 01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Post #17

Nice, Atleast gives me some kind of ballpark for where I am looking to be myself.

Stock For Now ! ! !

NoPlugsRequired

Posted: 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikHemi View Post
I just bought a 6.7 stroker. ( Cummins is the mess that Strokin leaves behind).
Really? You've had a Ford for two days and you're already turning into a massive fanboy...

Best of luck with your looks-the-same-as-every-other-powerstroke-on-the-road truck and hope you have a good warranty and insurance company.

neebs22

Posted: 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM
State: KS
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikHemi View Post
I just bought a 6.7 stroker. ( Cummins is the mess that Strokin leaves behind). I'm doing a dpf delete on Friday. It will help your mpg's a lot. Egr.. Exhaust gas recirculator. Meaning it recycles gas back into motor. If u take off filter then soot just exits exhaust faster. Instead of staying in filter and then making truck go into regen. Delete it.

It's obvious why you went with a ford.... your knowledge of diesel emissions is lacking.

First, EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) takes spent emissions from the exhaust manifold, cools it and then reinserts it into the incoming air stream. The purpose being to reduce the amount of free oxygen available for combustion. By doing so, the temperature of combustion is lowered to reduce the amount of NOx produced in the cylinder. This makes the engine inefficient for fuel use and in addition it promotes the creation of soot.

NOx and soot have an inverse relationship in the cylinder. NOx is created during highly efficient, hot burns... this is also when the least amount of soot is created. Soot being created during inefficient and/or cold burns where NOx is created at lower levels.

Second, the DPF while in place to trap soot particles before they can exit the system, doesn't cause near the loss of fuel efficiency that the EGR system does. There are pages and pages of anecdotal evidence on of diesel specific forums. If the truck is used as a truck, which is unlikely in the event of a Ford, then the DPF will passively regenerate more than it actively regenerates. Passive regeneration is done at no cost to you fuel economy.

Third, your Ford is also utilizing SCR. SCR allows higher levels of NOx to be created in the cylinder which in turn promotes a more efficient burn and less soot. Your use of EGR will be lower and the soot load will be lower (than a non-SCR engine).

Deleting the DPF will have some effect but you get more bang by deleting the EGR assuming you have a tuner capable of modifying the programming to eliminate any derate that comes from doing so.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4... Traded

2013 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with 6.7L Cummins

Wandell

Posted: 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
State: GA
Post #20

Without a doubt, go with a H&S tuner. Contact Rollin Smoke Diesel. They will give you a good price on a tuner and a DPF delete pipe.