3rd Gen Ram Newb ROck crawler/expedition build just completed - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 12-10-2012, 08:18 AM
gun45boat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
3rd Gen Ram Newb ROck crawler/expedition build just completed

The works. Specs below:

Full exo-cage with the wheelbase shortened 22" for a 118" spread
ARB lockers Front and Rear with 4:56 gears, Heat treated shafts Chromo
Full Thuren Steering cross over kit with PSC hydrolic steering assist
Kore and Carli Suspension mix 2" total lift
40" MTR's on factory steel wheels
1430 shaft upgrade
Bilstien shock set-ups reservior

Iron man Roof top tent with full water tank/on-demand shower/on demand water. Engel fridge,Honda eu2000 gen, dual Optima with solar panel, 2 spare tires, dual winches, etc, etc,

** RIg is built as a Chaser/expedition rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D3.jpg (277.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg D4.jpg (275.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg D2.jpg (203.0 KB, 112 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM
TwinStick

WELL DAYYYYUMMMM, isn't that cool. Mega props. Mega cool !!!

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
#3 Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM
05PWrockcrawler

Awesome! I want mine to be similar when it's done. Want custom rear bed like that with Exo cage. Can we get some flex pics? Also would like some pics of the front fender area. I know you removed them. I would like to try to keep a little of them but to keep it looking like a power wagon. Also mine is a 4 door so I can haul the family. Pictures of the tent and water and storage areas would be nice to see also. What brand axles are you running and how much did they run you. Thanks for displaying a nice work of art. Good job. Also a pic of the back. It looks like you used the original tail lights but not sure how you have them mounted. I was going to go with LED recessed into the rear of the bed. Interesting hmmmmm

Last edited by 05PWrockcrawler; 12-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
#4 Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man... Great site also...

I noticed you had issues with your ball joints on the aam9.25F on your Wagon, I have done a ton of research on these axles and rebuilt it with the best of the best, but noticed you had a x2 issues on the BJ's? What happened? Was it a defect, or just bashing them on the rocks, and they came undone? Please advise. I didnt replace the joints on the rebuild because they were in great shape, But I dont want to be in Moab and they come undone because I was lazy, 3k miles from home (not that I couldn't do a field fix) but still
#5 Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 AM
05PWrockcrawler

Do you have a build thread of this truck anywhere?
#6 Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Hey O5 It just walked its way out of my shop on Friday with its "de-virginizing" run on the rocks this coming weekend. We did some pre-lim flexing with an FL and she flexes very well with the Carli and Kore kit, she is still tight(not broken in yet suspension wise) but I am sure she will loosen up. But rides 10x better than stock with the Carli 3" springs and the rear Kore add-a-pack. I will post some more pics in a few days when we finally finish the front of the exo, and finally fit all the shit in the rear of the truck, There has been a ton of custom undercarriage skid plating done under the truck with a really neat custom dual flex torque arm for the rear axle.

The front axle is the stock AAM9.25 axle (same as the PW) and I took out the AAM10.5 and traded it with a AAM11.5 so that the ARB would work with the axle (ARB doesnt make a ARB kit for the 10.5)

We currently have a PW on our fleet, and comparing the 2 trucks with this Non-PW Ram 2500 I decided I could do more with the Ram2500 that the PW. Both are almost IDENTICAL rigs frame wize and drivetrain wize (Cept for the axles and Sway bar jazz, and the gears and locker combo) but I wanted to keep it lightweight and go with a Single cab rig that I could shorten the WB to make it more worthy on the trail. Thanks again for the props, as I am very happy with the build so far, and we will see if I can at least roll her on her side this weekend to test out the cage in preps for the trip out west in 4 months.

Cheers.
#7 Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
No No build thread anywhere, (I piss off a ton of people doing this) But the last expo-builds I have done, I didnt do a thread because of time. It took me 5 weeks to turn this rig into what it is, and it was a SHIT TON of work. I might have a few pics with no descriptions. I will post the pics of the shortened wheelbase and the logistics with that task (I think I took some pics of that for another PW owner that I know.
#8 Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Also, If there is ANYONE that lives near Grand Junction Co. that I could ship this truck to a shop or a house?? I need to ship this rig out, then fly out to pick it up to wheel Moab and The Rubicon/Fordyce creek/ The Badlands. then drive it back to FL after that 5 week hell run

Please let me know... THanks
#9 Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
rear with 35 gallon water tank and on demand pump
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5.jpg (306.3 KB, 71 views)
#10 Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM
05PWrockcrawler

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have a 2 seat rockcrawler buggy and I need a 4 seater to fit the family and want to drive to wheel and drive back. So eventually I wil transform the PW into something similar to what you have built. Really like what you have done to it. And in such a short amount of time. Good job and thanks for posting it. Gives me some different ideas. Know the front and rear bumpers I'm gonna build, know I want an Exo cage, eventually want to make a small bed and shorten the frame down the road. Thanks
#11 Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
That would be a fun build for sure!!!! I also came from the buggy scene, and frankly got sick of having to tow my buggy everywhere to enjoy it, plus the fact that I got stupid money for it when it sold. I would ENJOY shaving the wheelbase off a crew cab PW, I am willing to bet I could safely get at least 10" to 13" inches out of it, shave the rear frame by at least 25" and insert a rear winch like mine, The custom bed was pretty easy, I could send you some detailed pics if you would like of our conversion. In order to shave the WB and the frame you would have to relocate the fuel tank like we did (untop of the frame rails,mounted sideways directly behind the cab) we were able to use all the factory connections and lines for a seamless fit. I think a DC PW would look SICK with an exo-cage done correctly to tie it in... Personally, I would just cut off the rear of theframe behind the cab of yours and truggy the rear using all Chromo 13/4"OD .160 wall with Double triangulated 4 link with coilovers (dual bypass, or run the ORI struts) That would be The bomb!!!
#12 Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
04Ram2500Hemi
Same Name, Different Game

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ill be honest, this is a truck that would never fit my needs but I recognize top notch work when I see it. From everything on this thread I can see you paid attention to detail. Bad ass truck man!

2012 Ram Power Wagon
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch
#13 Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Man, I agree, this truck is a "job Specific" rig It is Purpose built for the trip out west this summer, and the trip to South America Spring of 2014 (If the world doesnt end in 2 weeks LOL) I appreciate the props. But it was also built to see if you could pull off a Large wheelbase rig, to wheel with the Small Wheelbase/small framed crawlers. Hopefully I pulled it off..
#14 Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM
05PWrockcrawler

Yes I was thinking of 4 linking the rear with a truggy look. Yes tired of towing the crawler. Want to drive to trail then beat the crap out of it and then drive home. Got kids and dogs so definitely need the crew cab and it's all paid for already. You got me pumped up. Just need to convince the wife this needs to happen. Lol.
#15 Old 12-11-2012, 11:59 AM
GunniPWguy
CHRISTINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun45boat View Post
Also, If there is ANYONE that lives near Grand Junction Co. that I could ship this truck to a shop or a house?? I need to ship this rig out, then fly out to pick it up to wheel Moab and The Rubicon/Fordyce creek/ The Badlands. then drive it back to FL after that 5 week hell run

Please let me know... THanks
That is a sweet build for sure. You can ship it to me but I might not let you have it back when you get here! I am about 2.5 hrs east of GJ in Gunnison. You should really wait to find someone closer and with a garage to keep it in though. I would just start calling the numerous offroad/4x4 custom shops over there. Good luck!

2005 BLACK POWER WAGON

Power Wagon Owners Club #155
Currently Sporting: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy) 6-CD changer, Infinity premium audio, Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's 285/70/17, Customized H2 alloy wheels, VHT spray on the cab lights(stealth mode), Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery.
The list is morphing.

Beer is just water that has reached its full potential!

#16 Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Gunni, I like your P wagon, Seems you have the high tec mods. And aint sceered to take it wheelin' I heard that the PW owners have events all over the country, You think they would mind me tagging along with my build, or are you all "Brand Specific" I like the idea of calling an offroad shop in the area (why didnt I think of that) Thanks for heads up.... I will post some pics when the weekend is done....

****** Does anyone know if the Hemi likes to pour oil in the intake manifold when its on its lid?? Or does it hold its oil well in the Valve cover?? My 6.0VMAX liked to pour oil into the #4 and #6 when upside down (always had to pull the SP's and crank the oil out before starting), and the old 4.7 2UZFE likes to pour it out the PCV.. How does the 5.7 Hemi react when on its lid with oil????
#17 Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

Nice rig. For ball joints, I got the Carli ones. Also have the RCV axles in the front. We have a yearly Moab run and one or two times a year at Rausch Creek. A couple run in SC. You would be welcome on our runs.

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

Jacqui, loving wife and mother. 7/11/61 - 5/13/11 I miss you!
"Moab '10, '12",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13"

RUSS
#18 Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM
GunniPWguy
CHRISTINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun45boat View Post
Gunni, I like your P wagon, Seems you have the high tec mods. And aint sceered to take it wheelin' I heard that the PW owners have events all over the country, You think they would mind me tagging along with my build, or are you all "Brand Specific" I like the idea of calling an offroad shop in the area (why didnt I think of that) Thanks for heads up.... I will post some pics when the weekend is done....

****** Does anyone know if the Hemi likes to pour oil in the intake manifold when its on its lid?? Or does it hold its oil well in the Valve cover?? My 6.0VMAX liked to pour oil into the #4 and #6 when upside down (always had to pull the SP's and crank the oil out before starting), and the old 4.7 2UZFE likes to pour it out the PCV.. How does the 5.7 Hemi react when on its lid with oil????
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPW08 View Post
Nice rig. For ball joints, I got the Carli ones. Also have the RCV axles in the front. We have a yearly Moab run and one or two times a year at Rausch Creek. A couple run in SC. You would be welcome on our runs.
I haven't been wheelein with anyone here but all I can say is.... These guys know how to have a good time from what I have seen from the pictures and they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to troubleshooting the elusive Power Wagon. I am sure they would not mind having another rig on the trail with them. I WILL get to moab someday to meet up with you guys.

2005 BLACK POWER WAGON

Power Wagon Owners Club #155
Currently Sporting: DT Profab Steering Brace, Gibson superflow catback single exhaust system, Locker Bypass, Moog ball joints (see how long they last), T-steering upgrade w/ Bilstein 5100 steering damper, Power everything, Heated leather seats, (keeps the better half happy) 6-CD changer, Infinity premium audio, Rear window defrost, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's 285/70/17, Customized H2 alloy wheels, VHT spray on the cab lights(stealth mode), Original rock rails with family friendly steps welded on, Hi-lift extreme jack, Tool box along with all the essential PW gear. New winch cable, Winch TPS bypass, Cardan joint grease zerk discovery.
The list is morphing.

Beer is just water that has reached its full potential!

#19 Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Welcome to DT!

I can't see folks being pissed at you but I believe you're going to have LOTS of questions about your rig.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, 2-Speed DCC E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 826-Days (2 Years 116 Days) and Counting! ~
*** October 23rd is Judgement Day! ***

#20 Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM
gun45boat

(Thread Starter)
Cool.... Here is a video from Today... Enjoy,.

http://s873.beta.photobucket.com/use...R0011.mp4.html