2003 1500 4x4.... laramie? or SLT..or Both? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

PappaBear

2003 1500 4x4.... laramie? or SLT..or Both? - Posted: 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM
State: OTHER
Post #1

Hello,
Question about the badges on my truck. I just picked up a really nice '03.
Its definitely a Laramie according to the VIN, and all the options it has, but a friend of mine said that the SLT badge that's on the tail doesn't belong there..
the tailgate has DODGE on the left hand side, and a SLT on the lower right hand side, and a Laramie on the upper right hand side. looks like the 4x4 badge was removed, i'm assuming, cause its not there.

So..can this truck be a Laramie and a SLT?..are they the same?.. I dont know much about the Dodge trim packages...
has someone before me added badges?..

I can take a picture if it helps.

any help would be great.

thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

wixthedog

Posted: 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
City: Richmond
State: TX
View This User's Garage
Post #2

Sounds like the previous owner liked badges or possibly traded out tailgates at some point. They are different packages.

2014 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 Laramie - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - 68RFE - 3.42 - True Blue Pearl
Stock...

2014 Dodge Crew Cab 3500 SLT - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - 68RFE- Maximum Steel (Sold)
2013 Dodge Crew Cab 3500 - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - Auto- Silver (Sold)
2007 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 - 4x4 - 6.7 CTD -G56- LWB - White (Sold)
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 1500 - 4x4 - 5.7 Hemi- Auto- Silver (Sold)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

PappaBear

Posted: 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixthedog View Post
Sounds like the previous owner liked badges or possibly traded out tailgates at some point. They are different packages.

Tailgate is original... I assuming the Laramie badge goes where this SLT is, and the 4x4 badge should go just above that?..or just replace the SLT with the 4x4?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-09_21-01-42_407.jpg (233.5 KB, 10 views)

ungluedcargo

Posted: 12-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Nut up or Shut up
City: Aurora
State: CO
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

Laramie should be where Slt is. 4x4 right above that, or at least that is the way mine is on my 08.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk.

08 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4x4 loaded. A.r.e Z series topper, Line-X liner, Bushwacker pocket flares, tinted windows,Galaxy Miradge 44HP Cb,Wilson 1000 Cb antenna, Weather Tech floor liners, AVS vent visors, Painted Sport Bumper cover,Painted grill, Mopar nerf bars,Mopar wheel well liners and Retro Solutions Head and Fog lights,Retro Solutions l.e.d backup lights, Mopar cab lights, Flowmaster dual exhaust, Magnaflow Y pipe, AFE drop in filter, Kore H.P Lift kit, Carli Trackbar, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Fuel Boost Rims, 4.56 gears,Borgeson steering shaft, Prodigy trailer brake controller, Optima yellow top batt,Superchips Flashpaq, Smoked led tails and 3rd brake light, Stainless brake lines, Kobalt toolbox, Recon Projector Backup lights,Retro Headlights from Demon Hemi, Rvs Backup camera, and the ever important Cartman figure on dash.

Red truck club #281

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Administrator
City: Windsor Ontario Canada
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #5

My 03 was an SLT and the badge was in the same place as yours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image008.jpg (114.3 KB, 6 views)

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

FreeLantz

Posted: 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm Still Here
City: Meadows Place
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

2003 was the first year they put the badge where your SLT badge is, and not on the rear doors. It was also the first year the upper trim level was called "Laramie" and not "SLT Plus". Since the 4x4 badge is also not there, it seems your tailgate may have come from a different truck.

Also when you say "according to the VIN" it's a Laramie, who gave you that info? Because there isn't actually a way to tell, just from the VIN.

Here are some things to look for: If the truck has woodgrain trim on the dash and door panels, and suede inserts in the seatbacks, it's a Laramie. It should also have dual-zone climate control. Up front the grille shell will be very unique, it's painted on the outside of the "horse collar" but chrome on the inside. 2002 and 2003 were the only model years this grille option was offered. If it doesn't have any of those things but does have leather seats, it's not a Laramie, but an SLT with leather seats which was also offered. Hope this helps!

Retired DT Admin
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization Sugar Land Chapter

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

wixthedog

Posted: 12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
City: Richmond
View This User's Garage
Post #7

[quote=PappaBear;4455198]Tailgate is original... QUOTE]

What makes you so sure the tailgate is original? Easy to swap and even easier to damage!

It seems to me they got a tailgate from an SLT of the same color and slapped a Laramie badge in the wrong spot to "make things right".

2014 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 Laramie - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - 68RFE - 3.42 - True Blue Pearl
Stock...

2014 Dodge Crew Cab 3500 SLT - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - 68RFE- Maximum Steel (Sold)
2013 Dodge Crew Cab 3500 - 4x4- 6.7 CTD - Auto- Silver (Sold)
2007 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 - 4x4 - 6.7 CTD -G56- LWB - White (Sold)
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 1500 - 4x4 - 5.7 Hemi- Auto- Silver (Sold)

PappaBear

Posted: 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
2003 was the first year they put the badge where your SLT badge is, and not on the rear doors. It was also the first year the upper trim level was called "Laramie" and not "SLT Plus". Since the 4x4 badge is also not there, it seems your tailgate may have come from a different truck.

Also when you say "according to the VIN" it's a Laramie, who gave you that info? Because there isn't actually a way to tell, just from the VIN.

Here are some things to look for: If the truck has wood grain trim on the dash and door panels, and suede inserts in the seat backs, it's a Laramie. It should also have dual-zone climate control. Up front the grille shell will be very unique, it's painted on the outside of the "horse collar" but chrome on the inside. 2002 and 2003 were the only model years this grille option was offered. If it doesn't have any of those things but does have leather seats, it's not a Laramie, but an SLT with leather seats which was also offered. Hope this helps!
Thanks, that about sums it up. I need to remove that SLT badge and put the 4x4 back on, and move that Laramie down where its supposed to go. Looks like the old man must have got bored... dunno why he did that. the tailgate looks original, but if its not, I cant tell... but with that SLT being a tad bit crooked.. ill bet he added it.

I say by the VIN because when I bought the truck there where print out sheets from a website called Dealer-Connect, it had all the options for the truck and a bunch of good information, like Axel ratios trim descriptions, definitely a Laramie, the leather seats have a sued insert with a Rams head, and seat warmers, radio controls on the steering wheel and the split a/c controls. also on the option list it say "Laramie badge". I tried to get on that website, but it looks to be for techs or managers only.

anyway, thanks for the help. much appreciated.

PappaBear

Posted: 12-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Post #9

[quote=wixthedog;4455237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaBear View Post
Tailgate is original... QUOTE]

What makes you so sure the tailgate is original? Easy to swap and even easier to damage!

It seems to me they got a tailgate from an SLT of the same color and slapped a Laramie badge in the wrong spot to "make things right".
Cause if you look at the area just right in the sun, you can make out 4x4, and the SLT badge is a slight bit crooked.

LARam567

Posted: 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM
City: New Orleans
State: LA
Post #10

My dad's story is somewhat similar. He has a 4x4 07 and has had it since new. He knew he ordered a Laramie and has all of the Laramie options, but has an SLT badge on the tailgate. It has bugged the shit out of me for years lol. He got the truck with 12 miles on it in 06.

07 Ram 1500 Sport:
Electric blue
Performance: Superchips VIVID, DMH Cutout, Magnaflow muffler dumped. (New exhaust setup soon to come)
Audio: Under Reconstruction
Closed Thread