CANBUS Speeds? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

SRT2Sport

CANBUS Speeds? - Posted: 12-08-2012, 01:19 AM
City: JBER, AK
State: AK
Post #1

I tried searching but came up empty handed. I hope this is the appropriate area for this Post too. In the past I remember seeing a list of vehicles and their associated CANBUS Speeds. Does anyone have that info? I am wondering if the 430/RBZ Unit out of my Wifes 2013 Grand Cherokee will work in my 2012 Ram with 130S/RES. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section or if I missed a Thread somewhere. Thanks!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

1500ram12

Posted: 12-08-2012, 03:52 AM
City: Potsdam NY
State: NY
Post #2

I don't think so. Unless jeep switched to a high speed canbus for 2013.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk
2010 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L Cummins, S&B CAI, H&S Mini Maxx, BullyDog A pillar mount, Flo Pro 4" Down Pipe/delete pipe, Raceland 4" E cutout, RCX Leveling Springs, 1.5" TGC Blocks, Bilstein 5100's, RCX Big Bore SS
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

lvrr

Posted: 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM
State: CA
Post #3

I was under the impression that all Chrysler vehicles switched to the high speed can bus in 2009, 2010 at the latest.

The main problem you may encounter is that the radio's are now associated with the vin number of the vehicle, so switching the RBZ radio from 2013 to 2012 model year or another vehicle may not work.

SRT2Sport

Posted: 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500ram12 View Post
I don't think so. Unless jeep switched to a high speed canbus for 2013.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk
Hmmm. I was afraid of that. I have read conflicting Posts about Post 2011 Jeeps being High Speed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvrr View Post
I was under the impression that all Chrysler vehicles switched to the high speed can bus in 2009, 2010 at the latest.

The main problem you may encounter is that the radio's are now associated with the vin number of the vehicle, so switching the RBZ radio from 2013 to 2012 model year or another vehicle may not work.
I understand that it may not be plug and play. I wouldnt mind if the Dealership had to unlock it. The VIN being programmed doesnt deem the radio useless in another vehicle, does it?

lvrr

Posted: 12-10-2012, 05:23 PM
State: CA
Post #5

You do pose an interesting question.

As i said, I thought Chrysler went all high speed can bus. Now I find Jeep still using low speed into 2012. I will venture a guess that the 2013 is still a low speed can bus.

Check your Jeep owners manual it is possible it may list can bus speed somewhere under the radios. You may also check with your dealers parts dept, they may be able to find out for you.

If it is low speed it will not work in the Ram.

SRT2Sport

Posted: 12-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the info. Heres to hoping that I can find a parts guy who actually knows what he is doing and is willing to help me out.

SRT2Sport

Posted: 12-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Post #7

I have found that the 2011+ Grand Cherokee does indeed use a high speed bus much like the Ram. It does appear that the Grand Cherokee and Ram use different part numbers for the RBZ Radio though. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try the swap.
Closed Thread