31dec video added!4wd front diff metall clinking noise - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

Jadesmarine

31dec video added!4wd front diff metall clinking noise - Posted: 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM
fake it til' U make it
City: 29 Palms, Ca
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

? I called the dealer to setup an appointment for monday but I want your thoughts on what you think couldnt be going on. I serched but didn't see anything that was relative.

(Truck does have 4" Rough Country Lift (F- 41.62", R- 42.75")/ Toyo Open Country 35x12.5 R20)
Detail:
-over 15 mph = clinking noise(sounds like -tink tink tink tink tink tink tink tink)
-under 15 mph = no clinking noise
-noise doesn't seem to get faster or louder with speed
-2wd = clinking
-4wd = no clinking

Noise sounds like metal to metal. A while back I got a couple "service 4wd" light on and go off when driving on the highway around 65mph. The dealer said they didnt know what it was turning that light on so they cleared it and haven't seen it since. I dont know if they is tied in to this or not.

14' Dodge Durango AWD R/T Hemi

Ram ( sold )
/ 4" Rough Country Lift (F-40.5", R-41.25" Falken AT's stock size)(F- 41.62", R- 42.75" w/35 toyos mt)/ Bilstein 5100 .7" / Diablo Trinity / S&B Cold Air Intake / Mufflex 14" Magnaflow / Magnaflow Y-Pipe / BakFlip F1 / Stubby Antenna color matched / Backup Sensors Color Matched / Tint 20% front/ 5% rear / 3.55 gears / Functional Sport Hood Scoops /

Last edited by Jadesmarine : 01-01-2013 at 12:52 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SikHemi

Posted: 12-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Mopar Or No Car
City: 08360
State: NJ
Post #2

Does it happen when u turn around corner or straight?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
3" catback true duals w/ x-pipe
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
plastidiped grill & tailgate ram
stubby antenna
Line-X
Morimoto 5Five 6K heads & fogs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Tobor

Posted: 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
State: VA
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Do you have full time or part time 4wd?

Over the weekend you could try and narrow it down some.

Pull the transfer case in neutral, raise the front end on blocks and rotate the front wheels and see if the noise is there. CV's will be at the most extreme angle, so if it's them it should be obvious real quick (click, click, click...), but maybe not, so you could ...

Pull the front drive shaft and take the truck around the block and see if the noise is still there.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my Kia Borrego 4wd. I heard a metal to metal sound at the transfer case. The noise was sometimes yes sometimes no, 4wd or 2wd, fast slow, the clanking was realy erratic. Anyway, to make a short story boring, it turned out to be the rear diff. The noise was being transmitted up the drive shaft to the transfer case.

All that to say you may have to isolate where the noise is coming from by isolating the connective parts (transfer case from front end, front diff from xfer case, etc.)

I don't know anything about RC 4" lift, but maybe the CV angle is just that much too much and the CV's are going.

Added:
Cooper AT3 tires
Mopar Chrome Lower Body Moldings,
Mopar Fog Lights,
Mopar front & rear Skid Plates,
Leer 180 Cap w/Wilderness Package,
Rage roof mounted Cargo Basket
Weathertech over the hump floor mats
Clazzio Leather seat covers

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikHemi View Post
Does it happen when u turn around corner or straight?
Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobor View Post
Do you have full time or part time 4wd?

Over the weekend you could try and narrow it down some.

Pull the transfer case in neutral, raise the front end on blocks and rotate the front wheels and see if the noise is there. CV's will be at the most extreme angle, so if it's them it should be obvious real quick (click, click, click...), but maybe not, so you could ...

Pull the front drive shaft and take the truck around the block and see if the noise is still there.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my Kia Borrego 4wd. I heard a metal to metal sound at the transfer case. The noise was sometimes yes sometimes no, 4wd or 2wd, fast slow, the clanking was realy erratic. Anyway, to make a short story boring, it turned out to be the rear diff. The noise was being transmitted up the drive shaft to the transfer case.

All that to say you may have to isolate where the noise is coming from by isolating the connective parts (transfer case from front end, front diff from xfer case, etc.)

I don't know anything about RC 4" lift, but maybe the CV angle is just that much too much and the CV's are going.
When I put it in 4wd the sound instantly goes away. I may give the jack up the front and spin the tires a try.

Ram ( sold )
/ 4" Rough Country Lift (F-40.5", R-41.25" Falken AT's stock size)(F- 41.62", R- 42.75" w/35 toyos mt)/ Bilstein 5100 .7" / Diablo Trinity / S&B Cold Air Intake / Mufflex 14" Magnaflow / Magnaflow Y-Pipe / BakFlip F1 / Stubby Antenna color matched / Backup Sensors Color Matched / Tint 20% front/ 5% rear / 3.55 gears / Functional Sport Hood Scoops /

SikHemi

Posted: 12-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #5

Yep. Cv angles are too extreme. I had same problem with 01 gmc with bigger keys and I cranked them. Grinding sound. I only heard it when I slowed down to take exit off highway cuz of my loud tires. I lowered truck and it went away.

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-07-2012, 05:38 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #6

Quote:
Yep. Cv angles are too extreme. I had same problem with 01 gmc with bigger keys and I cranked them. Grinding sound. I only heard it when I slowed down to take exit off highway cuz of my loud tires. I lowered truck and it went away.

How has noone else had this problem when lifting 4" or even 6" Why does it go away when I shift into 4wd? truck has had lift for like 8,000 miles and truck has 10k on it

Ram ( sold )

Tobor

Posted: 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

The thing about CV joints is that it takes some time for them to wear out. Unless the input-output shaft angles to the CV were so extreme that it binds instantly, you really wouldn't notice them self destructing until they start to give the warnings sounds of clicking.

When in 4wd the forces are different on the CV jnt. In 2wd the CV is "free wheeling" in 4dw the CV jnt is being pushed by the front diff so there's less "slop" or gapping in the CV jnt.

If the drive line (half shafts, CV jnt, and output shaft to the wheel) are mostly in a straight line, the the only real wear loads to the CV jnt would be when the wheel is turned to the left or the right while accelerating. That's why in most cars they tend to last close to forever.

If the drive line angles to and from the CV are greater then straight then there is a wear mode all the time and it becomes even more servere when the wheels are turned to the left or the right (Compound angles).

If it is a CV jnt then there are a thousand reasons why yours and not someone elses. It could be the weight of your tire-rim combo, the alignment of your front end compared to others (The front ends camber could be different on yours), the manufacturing tolerances of the RC kit could be off, heck maybe the frame on yours is slightly off and with all the RC piece tolerances it could be lady luck flipped you the bird. OR ... maybe it's just a bad CV jnt from the factory, that happens too.

Added:
Cooper AT3 tires
Mopar Fog Lights,

SikHemi

Posted: 12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #8

The sound is the grooves catching when ur not in 4wd. When u put it in 4wd they engage and work fine. Almost like trying to put square block in round hole lol. Fits kinda but gets hung up

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

reckster360

Posted: 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM
City: El Campo
State: TX
View This User's Garage
Post #9

I'm having the exact trouble, I have a noise in my left front tire area where it sounds metal to metal after i put on my bilsteins and body lift, I checked my body mounts and those didnt seem to be the problem, mine occurs everytime I hit a bump it seems but doesnt go away in 4wd, its really bugging me pretty badly, hopefully you get yours figured out, best of luck. My truck only has 19,000 miles btw

Mods:
5% Tint Rear Windows & Eyebrow, 35% Front
Superchips 3950
Rhino Bedliner
ANZO Tailgate LED Bar W/Reverse
Volant Intake
Magnaflow Mufflex 14 With Resonator Removed
Pioneer 3200 AVH Touchscreen With Backup Camera
All Interior And Exterior Bulbs LED Natural White
Plasti-dipped Emblems, Bumpers and Interior
Moes Performance 87mm TB
Debadged
Recon LED Smoked 3rd Brake Light
Magnaflow Y-pipe
Halo HID Sonar Headlights
Flush-Mount Black Toolbox
HID Fogs, Low beam, Reverse 6k
Whole Interior Deadened With Audio Technix 60 mil
Raceland Cutout 3
Weathertech Floormat In Rear
XS Power D3400 Battery
Big 3 Upgrade
Nitto Mud Grappler 33x12.5r17
Fuel Krank 17x9 -12 offset,
Triple Gauge Pillar
Bilstein 5100 Series 2.8" Lift
Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift,
Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares
50" LED Light Bar With SOCAL Mounts

SikHemi

Posted: 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #10

Lower your bils and see if it goes away

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

Musclemckeester

Posted: 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
5.7L HEMI
City: Houston
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Jades,

You just have the 4" RC and no Bilsteins right? If that's the case you *should* have a 4" lift but a 4" drop bracket, thus making your CV angle the exact same as stock. I'm not too familiar with the RC 4" but do you know (or you can also measure) your drop bracket to see what it is.

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-10-2012, 12:00 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemckeester View Post
Jades,

You just have the 4" RC and no Bilsteins right? If that's the case you *should* have a 4" lift but a 4" drop bracket, thus making your CV angle the exact same as stock. I'm not too familiar with the RC 4" but do you know (or you can also measure) your drop bracket to see what it is.
Yes, that is right. I took my truck in to the dealer today and he took it for a drive and said he didn't hear it. After that he put the truck on the lift spun the tires and it didn't make any noises. I told him I heard the noises for three days so I took him for a ride. In order to hear the noise I got up to 25mph let off and you could hear clink clink clink clink clink clink clink clink. He said its not the CV axles but was unsure what was producing the sound. He said that he doesn't think that the actuator is bad because there is no code being thrown. What he decided to do is order a new from driveshaft under warranty. (waiting for him to call me when he gets the parts)

The whole time he was showing me under my truck he kept saying that the front and rear driveshaft u joints are going to burn out quick because of the diff angle with the aluminum spacer. Has anyone had any problems with this or is just his opinion?

I asked him why when I shift into 4wd the noise goes away and he said IDK. lol

Ram ( sold )

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #13

Anyone know of any beefer u joints for our trucks? Just want to look at those if that were the problem. Lookin on 4wheel parts right now.

Ram ( sold )

Last edited by Jadesmarine : 12-10-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Tobor

Posted: 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

"... he said it wasn't the CV joints but unsure what was producing the sound..."

Is there another dealer nearby to get a second opinion? The tech might be right but if it's warranty work anyway a second set of eyes may be worth it.

Short story:

Years ago I had a '79 4x4 Suburban with 350 4bbl, auto. The thing would shake and resonate around 70 mph. I replaced tires, rims, front and rear hubs, and still it shook. So I had custom front and rear drive shafts made (spund balanced to something like 35,000 rpm). Still not right. So I had all rubber attach points in the front and rear suspension replaced. I was going to find this "problem". nope, still hsakes. So pulled the motor and had it balanced and blue-printed and breathed on real heavy (cam, crank, pistons, hi flo heads, solid rockers, etc.). While the motor was out I had all exhaust attach points replaced and new pipe and hangers put on. Geez, I'm already this far in might as well get the tranny done by the local speed shop including new torque converter, B&M shift kit, and new swash plate.

After all of that work the thing ran at eye watering speeds and got there quickly ... but STILL viberated. Close to 25K$ spent chasing a "problem" and in the end I still had a '79 Suburban with rust, dents, and pitted chrome worth nowhere near what I spent to "fix" it.

Next time I'll either live with it or sell it and try again with something else.

So to answer your question, I don't know of any custom or heavy duty U-joints for these trucks.

Added:
Cooper AT3 tires
Mopar Fog Lights,

SikHemi

Posted: 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #15

I think Kore makes a set. Around $700-$800 for both. You don't need beffier you need a better angle for them. Pretty sure Kore's is the high angle kit. This is the exact reason I didn't lift my truck yet. Too many kinks to be worked out. Body lift sounds better everyday.

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #16

I just don't get how noone else has had this problem with a 4" or 6" lift? yea the guy was saying he thinks that its the ujoints making the noise. I honestly have no clue at this point. I guess I will find out when the parts get here.

Ram ( sold )

Last edited by Jadesmarine : 12-10-2012 at 07:54 PM.

SikHemi

Posted: 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Mopar Or No Car
Post #17

What did u order the Kore cv's?

ReadyLift SST 2.5 & 1.5
K&N CAI
Tinted tails & 3rd
debadged
stubby antenna
Line-X

Jadesmarine

Posted: 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM
fake it til' U make it
Post #18

Quote:
What did u order the Kore cv's?

no, I didn't order cv's. The cv's are the same angle as stock. The dealer orders a new from drive shaft. Hopefully he orderd new joint too. Even if it were the u joints why would it stop making the noise when I shift into 4wd?

Ram ( sold )

brentwood

Posted: 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

if it stops making noise when you go into 4wd, it could be your front diff. bearings starting to go.
that would also make sense with it being more noticeable at slower speeds.... sometimes it will not be noticeable, once you get up to around 40mph and drive for a few mins?
and you would have more stress on the diff, with the lift and bigger tires.
just a guess.... good luck figuring it out.

'12 Ram 1500 QC Express 4x4 w/5.7 HEMI

Mods: Curt trailer hitch, Rhino liner, FLOWMASTER 50hd, JBA shorty headers titanium ceramic coated, 17x9 xd cranks, vht nightshade tail lights and 3rd brake light, magnaflow y-pipe, stubby antenna, partial debadge, plasti dip badges, edge street 2800 tc, diablosport trinity hemifever 93 octane tune, 180 t-stat, black headlight housings, sylvania silverstar zxe bulbs, rancho quick lift loaded, rancho rs9000xl rear shocks, mickey thompson baja mtz 35x12.5x17, vararam air grabber

future mods: ?? pretty happy with my truck for now

Jadesmarine

Posted: 01-01-2013, 12:51 AM
fake it til' U make it
Post #20

[quote=Jadesmarine;4454518]? I called the dealer to setup an appointment for monday but I want your thoughts on what you think couldnt be going on. I serched but didn't see anything that was relative.

(Truck does have 4" Rough Country Lift (F- 41.62", R- 42.75")/ Toyo Open Country 35x12.5 R20)
Detail:
-over 15 mph = clinking noise(sounds like -tink tink tink tink tink tink tink tink)
-under 15 mph = no clinking noise
-noise doesn't seem to get faster or louder with speed
-2wd = clinking
-4wd = no clinking

I just wanted to say that the dealer ordered a new driveshaft and is putting it in next week. The noise is slowly getting louder. Tonight I got on the high which the speed limit is 70mph and I heard the metal grinding sound. I tried to capture a video. When you listen to it ignore the 14mag. Can you guys here the metal sound????? Im going go in fkn sane!

Ram ( sold )
Closed Thread