Rough idle cold... missing engine components - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 AM
keljen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Rough idle cold... missing engine components

First of all, I will apologize for a long post as well as any missing or incorrect info I give. I don't know much about trucks but I wouldn't be here if I did.
Got this truck a little over 5 months ago, it's a 1991 Dodge Dakota v8 318 reg cab long box 2wd with throttle body.
When truck was first purchased seller told me that previous owner had been attempting to turn the truck into a drag truck.
The truck itself runs fine when it is warmed up, but as I am in Canada the issues it has when it's cold are not good.
The truck originally came from somewhere in the southern states. It has about 200,000+ miles (too cold out to go check exact mileage right now) and has excellent gas mileage.
The main problem I have noticed when driving the truck is that when it starts it idles very rough especially when the engine is cold as soon as the truck reaches normal temps it runs fine.
I've come across the following missing parts on the engine and I was wondering if there are any others I should be looking for (under the hood seems kinda empty like it may be missing other parts as truck was supposed to be turned into drag truck)
Idle air control
Heater block
Cruise control motor
The only other somewhat minor problems I have come across is that one bearing needs replacing and the oil gauge doesn't work tho oil levels are normal.
I'm hoping someone can give me some information as to what will fix the idle problem, if it isn't just the iac, as well as any other parts I may need to replace that could be missing.
I will try to get a pic as soon as its warm enough and not stormy outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM
dodgef25
Crazy4x4RT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The idle problem could be the IAC or a vacuum leak. The poor running when cold could be a bad coolant temp sensor.

My Youtube Videos! ---My Dana 44 SAS
"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER"
#3 Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
volaredon
older trucks ARE better!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the 91 wont have an IAC it has a "stepper motor" that mechanically acts on the throttle (think of the old speedup solenoids on carb'd cars with AC, would extend a bit when the AC would kick on)

but the OP said something about missing the idle motor...
f25 youre thinking of the vac controlled thing on the Magnum motors...

sorry; they will be prying my "old" truck from my cold, dead, fingers!
the new ones make me want to
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.