Rough idle cold... missing engine components - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 1st Gen (87 -96) Forum

Closed Thread

keljen

Question Rough idle cold... missing engine components - Posted: 11-29-2012, 02:01 AM
State: ON
Post #1

First of all, I will apologize for a long post as well as any missing or incorrect info I give. I don't know much about trucks but I wouldn't be here if I did.
Got this truck a little over 5 months ago, it's a 1991 Dodge Dakota v8 318 reg cab long box 2wd with throttle body.
When truck was first purchased seller told me that previous owner had been attempting to turn the truck into a drag truck.
The truck itself runs fine when it is warmed up, but as I am in Canada the issues it has when it's cold are not good.
The truck originally came from somewhere in the southern states. It has about 200,000+ miles (too cold out to go check exact mileage right now) and has excellent gas mileage.
The main problem I have noticed when driving the truck is that when it starts it idles very rough especially when the engine is cold as soon as the truck reaches normal temps it runs fine.
I've come across the following missing parts on the engine and I was wondering if there are any others I should be looking for (under the hood seems kinda empty like it may be missing other parts as truck was supposed to be turned into drag truck)
Idle air control
Heater block
Cruise control motor
The only other somewhat minor problems I have come across is that one bearing needs replacing and the oil gauge doesn't work tho oil levels are normal.
I'm hoping someone can give me some information as to what will fix the idle problem, if it isn't just the iac, as well as any other parts I may need to replace that could be missing.
I will try to get a pic as soon as its warm enough and not stormy outside.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dodgef25

Posted: 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Crazy4x4RT
City: NM
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #2

The idle problem could be the IAC or a vacuum leak. The poor running when cold could be a bad coolant temp sensor.

My Youtube Videos! ---My Dana 44 SAS
"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER"
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

volaredon

Posted: 12-06-2012, 07:33 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #3

the 91 wont have an IAC it has a "stepper motor" that mechanically acts on the throttle (think of the old speedup solenoids on carb'd cars with AC, would extend a bit when the AC would kick on)

but the OP said something about missing the idle motor...
f25 youre thinking of the vac controlled thing on the Magnum motors...
Closed Thread