Engine compartment - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

stubiePW

Engine compartment - Posted: 11-27-2012, 04:35 AM
State: OH
Post #1

What is the best method for cleaning the engine bay area? I went offroading this past weekend and got into more mud than expected and a lot got into that area. I am hesitant to use a hose and water, i've heard both good and bad. I need to get quite a bit off so any help is great! Thanks
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Whiteout08

Posted: 11-27-2012, 06:58 AM
City: Rochester
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Don't hesitate to use a hose and water, it's perfectly safe. I just did mine a few weeks ago, but for some reason haven't downloaded the pics yet.

All I do is this...

- Cover alternator and battery
- Spray engine down with water
- Spray a liberal amount of Purple Power Citrus cleaner over the ENTIRE engine bay
- Use a soft bristle brush to scrub away any dirt...a toothbrush works good for hard to reach spots
- Thoroughly rinse off all the cleaner and dirt
- Blow dry or air dry

The next step is up to you, you can leave it cleaned or add some sort of protectant. I have always used the GUNK Engine Brite "SHINE" stuff. You just spray it on and it evens itself out on the surfaces and makes them look brand new.

When I get home, I'll see if I can get the pics I took and post them up here.

watkins

Posted: 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
State: TX
Post #3

little too late now but next time throw the vertical (oscillating) lawn sprinkler underneath before it drys out completely.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

stubiePW

Posted: 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by watkins View Post
little too late now but next time throw the vertical (oscillating) lawn sprinkler underneath before it drys out completely.
Haha. I like that!

Whiteout08

Posted: 11-27-2012, 04:47 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

My flash doesn't work all that great so I didn't realize how dark these pictures turned out until now, hopefully you kind of get the idea though.

DSCN1054.JPG

DSCN1052.JPG

DSCN1050.JPG

DSCN1051.JPG

rotts4u

Posted: 12-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Post #6

Be careful using the purple power caustic type sprays as they will etch aluminum. It usually DOES not list aluminum as one of the metals they are good for on the label. There is a simple green product called EXTREME that you will not find anywhere that is aluminum safe but perhaps the easiest thing to use is the foaming engine spray cleaner by Gunk. Get 2-3 cans if its really dirty and as already mentioned cover the critical electrical stuff like the alternator from heavy water flow and you will be fine.

I wet clean every car I have ever owned since 1980 and never had a problem once. A toothbrush helps get into tight areas as does one of those mitts that covers your hands so you dont bust up your knuckles while trying to reach in tight spots.

Whiteout08

Posted: 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

I have tried the GUNK cleaner before but never really liked how it turned out after...I've used the Purple Power Citrus cleaner for years on engines and never had any issues with the aluminum parts.

stubiePW

Posted: 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the GUNK cleaner. I will say it did a good job. When I opened my hood, if I asked someone to point out a certain engine part, you couldn't. That's how much crap had splashed up and it was totally brown. I sprayed 3 cans, never used a brush or anything and most of it came off with just the foam sitting on there.
I am probably going to do another few cans to really clean it up (have some projector HIDs coming) and then maybe the Gunk shine.
Thanks again fellas

Whiteout08

Posted: 12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Glad to hear it worked out well, it's a satisfying feeling for sure.

TheSatinPumpkin

Posted: 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Low N Slow
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

All this text and no before and after pics of the bay.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubiePW View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with the GUNK cleaner. I will say it did a good job. When I opened my hood, if I asked someone to point out a certain engine part, you couldn't. That's how much crap had splashed up and it was totally brown. I sprayed 3 cans, never used a brush or anything and most of it came off with just the foam sitting on there.
I am probably going to do another few cans to really clean it up (have some projector HIDs coming) and then maybe the Gunk shine.
Thanks again fellas

_- under construction -_

2012RedRam

Posted: 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM
City: Georgia
State: GA
Post #11

I usually use some Simple Green, spray that all over, hose off with light pressure, then use a air hose to dry. I don't use the shine stuff because as soon as you hit a dirt road all the dust will stick to it and makes a bigger mess.

2014LaramieCrew

Posted: 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM
State: AZ
Post #12

No need for those harsh chemicals....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hose.jpg (11.2 KB, 124 views)

stubiePW

Posted: 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatinPumpkin View Post
All this text and no before and after pics of the bay.....
Haha, Yea, I know. This pic of the front of the truck is also what it looked like in the engine compartment. I mean you couldn't see anything. I am glad to see parts of the engine now.
I was going to get pics, but just never got around to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (775.2 KB, 11 views)

FreeLantz

Posted: 12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm Still Here
City: Meadows Place
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012RedRam View Post
I usually use some Simple Green, spray that all over, hose off with light pressure, then use a air hose to dry. I don't use the shine stuff because as soon as you hit a dirt road all the dust will stick to it and makes a bigger mess.

For years my process has been pretty similar... Simple Green, scrub the extremely dirty areas only, then rinse, then dry. I will use STP Son of a Gun on the hoses and other rubber or plastic surfaces (it's not too greasy). When spraying down the engine, 1) make sure it's cold, and 2) be careful not to douse the fuse box, wiring connections, headlight housing, etc. A few drops of water won't hurt anything under there though.

Retired DT Admin
Co-President, Texas Four Wheel Drive Organization Sugar Land Chapter

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing.

Voodoo

Posted: 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Motörhead For Life!
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #15

Simple Green to clean most any tire cleaner spray to shine.
do it cold & let it set for a bit after your finished..

2012 Ram 1500 TRADESMAN REGULAR CAB 4X2 8' BOX

Billet Technology Catch Can From moes-performance.com

"You Can't fix Stupid"

Closed Thread