2001 Caravan ABS light on - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

Totohydra

2001 Caravan ABS light on - Posted: 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Post #1

Hi folks,

The ABS light on my 2001 Caravan "Sport" is lit. Can anyone offer some tips on repairing this?

I just finished $800 in service last month so I really want to be as smart on this issue as I can be before approaching repair shop.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ratchet75

Posted: 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
State: CA
Post #2

Very likely you have a bad wheel sensor or circuit to it. You can inspect connections and check sensor resistance. Having the codes read with a scanner capable of reading body codes will narrow down the problem. In the mean time you'll still have the normal braking functions cars have had for decades, just no ABS.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Totohydra

Posted: 11-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Post #3

Good to know. The check engine light is not on so I'm not sure what codes I'll get until testing. Magically the ABS light turned off right after first post so I'll check the wheel sensor. Is that a difficult/expensive (labor) item to replace?

Ratchet75

Posted: 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM
State: CA
Post #4

ABS codes are an entirely different set of codes from the check engine light codes and have to be read by a specialized scanner different from a standard scanner. Whether or not your CE light is on or not is irrelevant. I've never done it but looking at the procedures, replacing a wheel speed sensor appears to be pretty straight forward. A connector, a bolt and you're there.

RickMN

Posted: 11-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Post #5

Most ABS sensor problems are due to dirt accumulation on the face of the sensor, a cracked "tone" ring, bad connections inside the electrical connectors, or an intermittent in the wiring harness.

Start by wiping all the metallic particles off the face of the sensor with a dry rag. Then check the notched tone ring with a bright light and magnifying glass to look for cracks. Then disassemble each electrical connector and look for corrosion, oil accumulation, or bent pins. Reassemble. Then take it for a spin to see if it resets. If you still get the light, you'll have to decide whether to get the codes read or start replacing sensors. They're about $40 each from RockAuto. You can replace two of them for the cost of a scan.

I normally don't recommend throwing parts at the problem, but in this case it may pay off. Front sensors are usually the first to go since the harness has to flex up and through turns.