DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Sound

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  volaredon 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I prefer glasspacks, cherry-bomb "extremes," and/or straight-pipes. Lengthening the pipes makes a difference, too.

I don't know why everyone likes 3"-4" diameter and 5 foot pipes with "throaty" mufflers. Makes vehicles sound like loud and crappy old tractors.

Smaller-diameter dual straight pipes (or with glasspacks) sound the best on most v8's, in my opinion. It gives just enough rumble and more of a "tune" than just a loud "drone."

All the jacked up trucks around here have the magnaflows (etc), and they are pretty dang annoying. The thing that catches my attention is the older hot-rods with 2-2.5" dual straight-pipes. Much more classy sounding and less "I'm-a-rich-highschooler-with-the-most-expensive-mufflers-my-mommy-and-daddy-bought-me-and-you-can-hear-me-driving-around-town-all-day-and-I-can't-keep-my-foot-out-of-it-cuz-my-2012-silverado-on-37-inch-tires-with-22-inch-rims-that-I-never-get-dirty-makes-me-sooooo-awesome."

#6 ·
I don't know why everyone likes 3"-4" diameter and 5 foot pipes with "throaty" mufflers. Makes vehicles sound like loud and crappy old tractors.

This is true

the problem with the glaspack or cherrybomb is that I get no scrutineering for the truck

that is why I must take a flowmaster (looks like a muffler)

probably a 40 delta flow and straight backwards, and not in front of the rear wheel

#4 ·
wow lunchbox. that was passionate

#7 ·
If you really want a good sound get a flat head Ford V8 and run one straight pipe for each exhaust port.
The two center ports are siamesed for the cylinders #3&5, and 4&6.
A distinct sound of it's own!
From the dirt tracks of 60 years ago.
:rck:

#10 ·
If you really want a good sound get a flat head Ford V8 and run one straight pipe for each exhaust port.The two center ports are siamesed for the cylinders #3&5, and 4&6.
A distinct sound of it's own!
From the dirt tracks of 60 years ago.
:rck:
Flatheads are a beauty all of their own. I had an old neighbor who was into 1940's and 1950's era-specific hotrods. Not one single nut or bolt on any of his collections (he had about 15 or so projects in his 3 barns) was older than 1960, unless he had to special-order it.

He would invite me over for a cup of coffee or a beer by getting his 1930's Ford flathead roadster outside and revving the engine up a couple times. Truely a craftsman from a great generation...:worthy:

#8 ·
eh. i like the hooker aerochambers on my truck. been on her for 9 years and still sound good

#11 ·
that does make sense. personally i'm going to straight pipe my truck. sounds a lot better than mufflers. i did have a bronco with a 351 windsor in it, with glass packs. that thing rumbled nicely

#12 ·
do NOT use a Flowmaster!!!! there is more than 1 model they all suck.
I like the magnaflow on my Dakota... again many models available. but I also like the sound of old school glass packs, I always used the "long" version.

#15 ·
I cannot stand a Flowmaster muffler but I put a Magnaflow on my 93 Dakota's 318
shorty headers and cat delete done by PO, i did a flowmaster delete when I got it, replaced it with a Magnaflow that, size wise, reminds me of the old truck//RV mufflers about 6" round and long... this one is like 33" long. about 2X the size of the orig muffler thats still on my other Dakota, and it really does have a decent sound to it, truck has original Y pipe, a straight pipe the PO put in place of the cat, and a Walker OE replacement tail pipe.
Among flowmaster I think they all suck other brands, I think it depends on the particular muffler(s) and the rest of the system; I have "generic" flowmasters (Thrush branded welded muffs) on my 78 Fury and they sound good on there.

though I too love the glasspack sound;

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.