identifying an edge torque converter - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Performance Talk

Closed Thread

brentwood

identifying an edge torque converter - Posted: 11-16-2012, 11:54 PM
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

i bought a used "edge street torque converter" from bluedodge on this forum. turns out, he sold 2 others shortly after i recieved mine that were stock tc's. {he sold them as edge tc's**

does anyone have pics of stock tc's and edge street tc's to help me identify which it is.

I'm guessing I was scammed as well, but don't want to spend the money to have edge inspect it. And, I def. don't want to install it, without being sure.

I appreciate any help identifying what i have.

'12 Ram 1500 QC Express 4x4 w/5.7 HEMI

Mods: Curt trailer hitch, Rhino liner, FLOWMASTER 50hd, JBA shorty headers titanium ceramic coated, 17x9 xd cranks, vht nightshade tail lights and 3rd brake light, magnaflow y-pipe, stubby antenna, partial debadge, plasti dip badges, edge street 2800 tc, diablosport trinity hemifever 93 octane tune, 180 t-stat, black headlight housings, sylvania silverstar zxe bulbs, rancho quick lift loaded, rancho rs9000xl rear shocks, mickey thompson baja mtz 35x12.5x17, vararam air grabber

future mods: ?? pretty happy with my truck for now
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

KarateMan21

Posted: 11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Back to Stock
City: Mesa
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Hmm. That is interesting. I honestly couldn't tell you. I bought an edge in the classifieds and they sent me the paperwork to go with the converter.

2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab - Deep Water Pearl Blue

2/4 Drop, 0212353 Retro Shop Projector Retrofit w/ custom paint, Gaylord Speedsturr Lid, Billet Badges, Bed Rug, 180 T-Stat, ARH LT Headers, 545rfe w/ deep pan, Custom drive shaft,
Inertia Forged 370 Stroker, Inertia Bv Ported Heads, Inertia Blower Cam, Edge triple disk 3000,
Fastman 85mm, 3.92 gears, Magnaflow 18", E-Cut out, Dyno tune, Addco Sway Bars

12.28@109.06 S.C. - 11psi - 370ci

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
State: TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #3

It is very hard to tell the difference, especially since the guy you bought it from was painting them. You would have to cut the converter open to see whats inside. I would just tell the seller that you do not feel comfortable installing it, and send it back for a refund.

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Moe's Performance
Post #4

This example is exactly why I will not buy a used converter, and if you do, you always want to send it back to the manufacturer to be checked out before installing it. I would only skip this step if it was bought from a person you knew personally that would not screw you over.

jayincali

Posted: 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Yo Daddy
City: So Cal. I.E.
State: CA
Post #5

Sucks being screwed over. Off topic. I got screwed a month back when I purchased a slightly used bed rug that never came. Had to contact my credit card company in order to get my money back. Contacted the mods on here but nothing came of it.

Sorry about the thread jack, good luck and let us know the outcome. Maybe contact Edge and see if they can tell you about an identifying mark or something.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 11-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

This may upset someone, but that guy has always seemed sketchy. He claims to have so much done to his truck, but I've never seen a single picture of it. He also seems to have a bunch of barely used performance parts for sale but at great prices.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

stricnine

Posted: 11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
RANGO
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

The guy is profiting for doing nothing at the expense of others. Sounds like a recently elected official doesnt it?

2011 Charger R/T w/ Eibach Pro Line drop springs, MOPAR Intake, Twin FM Super 44's, 20" Torque Thrust M Limited Edition

brentwood

Posted: 11-17-2012, 09:30 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

thanks for the support guys. pics of stock torque converter and edge street tcs would be appreciated.

Mods: Curt trailer hitch, Rhino liner, FLOWMASTER 50hd, JBA shorty headers titanium ceramic coated, 17x9 xd cranks, vht nightshade tail lights and 3rd brake light, magnaflow y-pipe, stubby antenna, partial debadge, plasti dip badges, edge street 2800 tc, diablosport trinity hemifever 93 octane tune, 180 t-stat, black headlight housings, sylvania silverstar zxe bulbs, rancho quick lift loaded, rancho rs9000xl rear shocks, mickey thompson baja mtz 35x12.5x17, vararam air grabber

HEMI450HP

Posted: 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Moe's Performance
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwood View Post
thanks for the support guys. pics of stock torque converter and edge street tcs would be appreciated.
Top pic is of Edge, Bottom is stock...The are very difficult to tell apart, and it is going to be even harder for you since yours was painted over. I would either try to send it back or send it to Edge so that they can cut it open to see what's inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edge.jpg (70.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg stockverter1.jpg (110.6 KB, 17 views)

ST-8

Posted: 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Kind of an 03
City: Port Orange
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
This may upset someone, but that guy has always seemed sketchy. He claims to have so much done to his truck, but I've never seen a single picture of it. He also seems to have a bunch of barely used performance parts for sale but at great prices.
x2

badblackram

Posted: 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
City: brookhaven
State: MS
Post #11

When looking at the converter could you go by the outter ring of raised markings (not sure what they're technically called) on the outside of the impeller? I see one converter has straight marks and the other has slightly angled ones..

2006 Ram 1500
4.7L- Gibson S/S ceramic shorties
Flex-a-lite 183 e-fan kit
Catless w/ 12279 magnaflow
Apm ram air hood w/ ram air intake
Painted grille, bumper, & handles
Painted headlights w/ Retrofitted morimoto projectors
Power slot rotors
Diablo Sport Trinity with Hemifever tune
2/5 McGaughy's drop kit
4.56 motive gears & Detroit Truetrac
Nitto 420s 285/50r20

TylerB

Posted: 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
City: Daytona Beach
State: FL
View This User's Timeslip
Post #12

I'd assume the worst since you bought it from that douche. Get your money back asap and send the converter to Edge to be cut, upgraded, and cleaned for a $100.

brentwood

Posted: 11-18-2012, 12:20 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI450HP View Post
Top pic is of Edge, Bottom is stock...The are very difficult to tell apart, and it is going to be even harder for you since yours was painted over. I would either try to send it back or send it to Edge so that they can cut it open to see what's inside.
Thanks Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackram View Post
When looking at the converter could you go by the outter ring of raised markings (not sure what they're technically called) on the outside of the impeller? I see one converter has straight marks and the other has slightly angled ones..
Yeah, that's a good idea. and i notice the stock has numbers in the middle also, which are probably engraved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerB View Post
I'd assume the worst since you bought it from that douche. Get your money back asap and send the converter to Edge to be cut, upgraded, and cleaned for a $100.
I talked to Andre about getting it cut and cleaned.... He didn't mention upgrading anything. He said it would just suck for me to pay for shipping and his labor time just to find out its a stock tc.

I'm gonna compare every detail of these pics with my tc and see what i can figure out.

Talon_66

Posted: 11-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Anti-Chrome
City: Edmonton
State: AB
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI450HP View Post
Maybe its the angle of the photo,
But the Edge has outer markings that are straight |
and the OEM has outer markings that are more \
Past: White 2008 Evo X GSR - 400ish AWHP, and tonnes of mods
Past: Titanium Grey 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

09SMOKINHEMI

Posted: 11-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Post #15

Yes it does suck to pay for the shipping to edge and all but it's a lot less expensive than having possible tranny damage because of a faulty tc.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

brentwood

Posted: 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

mine does have the straight lines on the outside of the impeller. that gives me enough hope to send it to edge. thanks for the help guys. i'll update after i send it to edge and hear back from andre.

09SMOKINHEMI

Posted: 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Post #17

Cool let us know

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Try harder
Post #18

How did you pay? If you used a credit card through PayPal then file with your credit card and get the money back.

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

jayincali

Posted: 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Yo Daddy
City: So Cal. I.E.
State: CA
Post #19

I cannot believe the mods do nothing to dead beat sellers.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Try harder
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayincali View Post
I cannot believe the mods do nothing to dead beat sellers.
I used to be a moderator and, while I see what you are saying, there is a reason they aren't banned quickly. If they are banned, how will they easily contact the buyers or vice versa? I've been screwed on here before and the easiest way to badger the guy into answering me was through PMs on the site. If he had been banned, I wouldn't have had that option available.

Closed Thread