Bad wiper switch or motor? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003

Closed Thread

Cubey

Bad wiper switch or motor? - Posted: 11-13-2012, 08:19 PM
State: AR
View This User's Garage
Post #1

My windshield wipers work in slow mode only. When put to fast, it stops mid-wipe. When put back to slow, it finishes the wipe.

Someone jacked around with the original washer bottle and tried to put a Ford one and failed since it's not working. I don't suppose that could be why.

Does this sound like a bad switch or a bad motor? is there a pinout of the motor someplace perhaps so i can pull it and test it directly with 12v power?

Last edited by Cubey : 11-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Cubey

Posted: 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #2

Oh joy. I checked the wiper switch and it was fine.

Went to check the wire harness at the motor and it was all dry rotted and fell to pieces. I went ahead and checked the wires and they are fine.. voltage is getting to the wires as they should, when they should.

So the motor must be bad somehow on high mode but not low.

Now I have to try to find a replacement wire harness for the motor unless I just want to hook it up one wire at a time and hope I don't screw it up. At least the old trucks used the same wire harness since they are easier to find than older vans.

I will try to get one tomorrow and and see if that fixes the high mode of the wipers.. but I doubt it will. The blade connectors are all in tact and were still connected to the motor until I began pulling them loose (after disconneecting the battery of course). I'll go ahead and replace the wiper motor after I made sure it's actually bad.

Funny how it kept on working in slow mode mostly right when only the brown wire was still hooked up. It wouldn't return to idle position when moved to off but I just flipped the switch until I got the arms back down. It works fine when fully hooked up. I guess it takes an extra hot wire to return it to idle position.

Cubey

Posted: 12-04-2012, 12:26 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #3

Heh.. it's my own fault. I should listen to my own logic more.

I pulled the washer motor last night before testing it with the new harness. The rear bolt was the worst because I tried to take it out last. Save yourself a LOT of trouble if you need to pull your wiper motor.. take the rear one out FIRST!

Anyhow, I got it out and tested it this morning and found it was working in low and high. I pulled it for nothing! It apparently just had a bad wire connection for high speed mode due to the damaged wire harness connector

I wired up a new harness to the van and tested it after loosely installing the motor... and it's working fine now. So I then proceeded to finish tightening the bolts.

I am working on a how-to write up on replacing the harness in case anyone else ends up with a damaged wire harness.. or even just needs to replace their wiper motor. Mine has an extra terminal thing on the front that makes no real sense. it's just a pass through for an older harness that is on the van I think. I bypassed it when i wired up the new harness and the wipers are working just fine without it. New replacement pumps don't have that extra block on it so you need a newer wire harness anyway. The one I got was from an early 80's Dodge pickup.

The how-to will also outline replacing the washer fluid bottle with one from a newer Dodge van.

If I feel like it, I may also include a how-to on the wiper arm bushings since mine needs them ALL done and I already have it all disassembled for replacement. I will be getting the bushings today and putting them in tomorrow.

Last edited by Cubey : 12-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread