Closed Thread

#1 Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
riorocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
bilstein 7100

Hi im looking into getting some 7100's on my 2007 power wagon, im having some issues with finding the correct sizes collapsed and extended.

From what i have read from other posts on the 5160's which are supposed to work i have gathered these numbers.

5160 front: 25-187595
collapsed: 15.20"
extended: 25.96"

5160 rear: 25-187601
collapsed: 16.54"
extended: 28.09"

So looking into the 7100's i have come up with these to be the closest match.

7100 10" front with reservoir: AK7110R04
collapsed: 16.1"
extended: 25.77"

7100 10" front w/o reservoir: AK7110S04
extended: 25.77"

Both models the same.

7100 12" rear with reservoir: AK7112SBB
extended: 27.68"

7100 12" rear w/o reservoir: AK7112S04
collapsed: 19.53"
extended: 31.1"

quite a difference in the rears, with the reservoir shock being closer to the desired lengths.

So my issue is i would rather run the non reservoir shocks seeing as the fronts would work no differently, yet what would i need to do to make the rears work? And if im going to put the reservoir shocks in the rear, than im going to have to put them in the front as well seeing as there probably more usefull in the front anyways.

I have spent the last 2 days price searching and have found the non reservoirs for 94$ and the reservoirs for 128$ dont get me wrong both a killer price but 30 buck more a piece adds up and there both going to be much better than stock alreadys.

let me know what you guys think of this situation. more than likely i will not be going for anything less than the 7100's just for the fact of being able to buy a set of shocks and be able to rebuild them for the lifetime of my PW.

Last edited by riorocks; 11-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2012, 06:18 PM
coder

You will not be able to find any shocks that are the exact same size as the OEM shocks. You will need to go slightly shorter or slightly longer.

Why do you want non-reservoirs in the front?

Also you can get, from Carli Suspension, a set of 7100's all ready to go, their Performance 2.0 shocks for a PW.

2007 Quad Cab Power Wagon
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils | Carli Control Arms | Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops | Carli Stainless Steel Damper | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Toyo ATII's 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Redhead Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: EBC Front Slotted Dimpled Rotors | Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | DieHard Platinum Battery G65 | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass
#3 Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
No I would only use non reservoir in the front if I can use them in the rear as there somewhat cheaper.

And I can get a set of non reservoir for under 400 and a little over 500 for reservoirs, so quite a difference from the carli's
#4 Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 PM
coder

Why do you want 7100's, what are you looking to accomplish?

Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils | Carli Control Arms | Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops | Carli Stainless Steel Damper | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Redhead Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: EBC Front Slotted Dimpled Rotors | Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | DieHard Platinum Battery G65 | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass
#5 Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
well im looking to upgrade from the stock shocks on her right, as well as being able to rebuild them when that time comes. truck see's alot of rough gravel roads hill climbs, mild rock climbing, as well as daily driver.
#6 Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM
coder

I have progressed up through various levels of shocks in my PW and here is what I noticed as far as performance. What valving are you thinking of getting on the 7100s?

OEM Bilstein's PW specific valving:
- compliant and absorbent but not overly soft
- some noticeable side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 5100's:
- somewhat stiffer than the OEM's
- a more controlled feel than the OEM's not as much side to side sway
- when pushed hard they go right to the bump-stops
- they fade when pushed hard for a long period

Bilstein 7100's with Carli Performance 2.0 PW valving:
- slightly stiffer than the 5100's
- the more you push them the better they feel
- when pushed hard they don't go right to the bump-stops but resist
- they don't noticeable fade when pushed hard for a long period

King 2.5" Pin-Tops with Carli Hemi valving:.
- like driving a high-end sports car around town
- its like being glued to the road, but you feel every imperfection
- no sway in the corners, the more you push them the better they like it
- I can do 45-50 mph down a dirt road and hit fairly sizable ruts and bumps comfortably
- on rough roads I find myself waiting for the "wam bam" on big bumps but nothing happens, just a soft thump
- no fading when pushed hard for a long period

#7 Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
im looking to get the 255/70 i was curious as to what the carli's are near but im sure thats kept private. my pw takes a good beating here and there so i dont think they would be too agressive. you think the reservoirs are crucial? I have not looked yet but im thinking i may be able to fab something up to compensate for the extra length of the non reservoir option. or just go with the reservoir and its pretty damn close of the bat.
#8 Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorocks View Post
im looking to get the 255/70 i was curious as to what the carli's are near but im sure that's kept private. my pw takes a good beating here and there so i don't think they would be too aggressive. you think the reservoirs are crucial? I have not looked yet but im thinking i may be able to fab something up to compensate for the extra length of the non reservoir option. or just go with the reservoir and its pretty damn close of the bat.
Unless you drive for long distances on ruff dirt roads at moderate to high speeds I don't think the reservoirs are required. The 255/70 valving is a good option plan on it being a little firm around town.

Last edited by coder; 11-16-2012 at 01:40 PM.
#9 Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
Hey so you have clearly changed out your shocks a few times, have you noticed if there might be room to move the top mount up or further down the line from the lower mount? Cause to make the non reservoirs work I would need to gain around 3 inches, or else there would be a chance of them bottoming on full flex correct? Seeing as there 19 inches collapsed and they need to be around 16.
#10 Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
Hey and thanks for your help so far , the more input the better i find
#11 Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorocks View Post
Hey so you have clearly changed out your shocks a few times, have you noticed if there might be room to move the top mount up or further down the line from the lower mount? Cause to make the non reservoirs work I would need to gain around 3 inches, or else there would be a chance of them bottoming on full flex correct? Seeing as there 19 inches collapsed and they need to be around 16.
The best way to mount the front's is to use an adapter like Carli does (see pic) 4wheelparts sell something similar to this as well see link below.

4WheelParts Link
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...s=90&t_pt=8664
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 015.JPG (242.1 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by coder; 11-16-2012 at 08:53 PM.
#12 Old 11-17-2012, 11:18 AM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
so those 7100 that you had what lengths were those?

to me it seems that the lengths are pretty important as well as the amount of stroke to the shock.

if i go with this shock:

7100 12" rear w/o reservoir: AK7112S04
collapsed: 19.53"
extended: 31.1"

when this is the size that is supposed to work:

5160 rear: 25-187601
collapsed: 16.54"
extended: 28.09"

it would be 3 inches longer collapsed and extended. meaning upon full flex the side to be compressed will actually be bottoming out 3 inches sooner, because it has the extra length, in theory you would gain 3 inches on the extended side but unusable because the compressed side would be bottomed out.

now thats just what im thinkin in my head and im not sure if that would be how it works but seeing as its solid axle +3 inches rise on one side would be -3 inches on the other.

correct me if im wrong
#13 Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM
coder

With the internal design of any rebuildable style shock you want to make sure you don't top or bottom them out it will damage the internal much easier than a regular disposable shock.

That why Carlis and most others utilize limit straps to stop an 1 1/2" before the shock fully extends.

#14 Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
Hmm interesting. I need to get some flexed numbers going on here I think to see how close I may be getting to topping or bottoming out. Cause I would guess stock would leave some room to spare
#15 Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
coder

You can purchase a limit strap kit from Carli you will need to weld on the bottom tabs, let the axle hang all the way down then, measure for the top strap mounting hole 1 1/2" higher.

#16 Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 AM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

Give 8lug a call. He'll set you up with the 7100's. That's what I'm running right now.

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Sequentially Number #08-1505,
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

Jacqui, loving wife and mother. 7/11/61 - 5/13/11 I miss you!
"Moab '10, '12",
"Rausch Creek-Spring, Fall '11, Spring '12, Summer '13"

RUSS
#17 Old 11-28-2012, 02:41 AM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

Oh, I forgot pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011.JPG (260.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (270.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 017.JPG (267.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 019.JPG (261.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 020.JPG (281.2 KB, 5 views)

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Inferno Red, Automatic
Mods to the PW; Nerffed Mopar RockRails, Wheel Well Liners, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flairs, Extang Tonneau Cover, Garvmin dezl 560LMT GPS, Power Wagon Winch Kit, Line X Ultra Bed Liner, PIAA Headlight Bulbs, PIAA 580 Driving Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 Fog Lights (135 watt), PIAA 520 ATP Off-Road Lights (135 watt), Locker Bypass, Modifed Rockcrusher Diff Covers, Mopar Utility Bed Rails and Tool Box, Warn Winch Wireless Remote Control, "el-cheapo" Inclinometer, Airaid CAI, Winch TPS Bypass, Had 35" Cooper STT's now 35" Toyo's, Mopar Spare Tire Lock, 'T' Steering Linkage, Modifed PSC Steering Brace, P3 Brake Controller, Modifed Fusion "mall crawler" rear bumper, PIAA 1500 Back-Up Lights, 1Ton HEMI Tranny Cooler, Leer 100XR Bed Cap, Factory Tow Mirrors, CenterLine Rims 17x9-5.25 BS, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan, AutoMeter Gauges, PSC Extreme Hydro Assist Steering, Carli Track Bar, Carli Ball-Joints, Dynatrac FreeSpin Hubs, Snorkel, RCV Axles, EBC Pads & Rotors, Aluminess Front Bumper, BIG Pul-Pal and it's own body bag!, 60" Extreme Hi-lift Jack, and more riggin' equipment, Carli Long Travel Air Bags, Bilstein 7100 Shocks - Carli Valving, MORE STUFF COMIN', TTI headers, Somebody's long arm, 7.2L MOTOR ,
Mods to me; Ti hip replacement. Zerk fitting in knee. Now it's gets greased more than some guys front drive shafts. I've been Used, Abused and Recycled!
Survivor of The Cold War, Heaven's Gate, The Grand Conjunction, The Pleiadeans Landings, Y2K, The Winch Mob Banning, The Mayan Apocalypse, and some other covert stuff. Future zombie killer!

"Moab '10, '12",

RUSS
#18 Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
riorocks

(Thread Starter)
Yeah it was those pics that originally got me looking into the 7100's about how much did the set run ya? If I ever get some time after work I would be able to get these numbers I need just been getting worked like a dog lately.
#19 Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
RustyPW08
Moab Tested

Talking

Think it was around $1,300 for all 4 from 8lug.

PWOC #53
2008 POWER WAGON RC
Inferno Red, Automatic

"Moab '10, '12",

RUSS
#20 Old 11-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Orton

Rusty, what are the rubber air bag looking devices sitting on your rear axle? Not trying to steal the post or sound dumb. I just don't know and curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.