BAK HD,F1 vs fold-a-cover vs advanced folding cover - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 – Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - Interior/Exterior Talk

Closed Thread

Stryker6040

BAK HD,F1 vs fold-a-cover vs advanced folding cover - Posted: 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM
City: Wyoming, MI
Post #1

Got my options narrowed down to these covers looking for your guys opinions/reviews to help me make my choice.
2012 Black Ram 2500HD CC Outdoorsmen 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, Go Rhino Dominator 2 nerf bars, Mini Max race, Sinister complete EGR delete, Sinister throttle valve delete, AFE turbo back 4"exhuast, AFE front and rear diff covers, Amsoil complete fluid swap

Traded In: 2012 Flame Red Ram Quad Cab 4wd, 5.7L Hemi, 3.92LS, 20" Wheels, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Diablo Trinity 93 Performance, BT Catchcan, Moe's 87MM Throttle Body, Vararam Air Grabber, Mufflex muffler delete, Debadged doors, blacked out plasti dipped ram grille and tailgate emblems, blacked out stock exhaust tips, waiting on install of rough country 6" lift and 37" Toyo MTs
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dmcelhannon

Posted: 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

The BAK F1 is the one I'm thinking about but even the sale price is near 1K ... Ouch!

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 660+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Jadesmarine

Posted: 11-12-2012, 12:17 AM
fake it til' U make it
City: 29 Palms, Ca
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

I like my F1

14' Dodge Durango AWD R/T Hemi

Ram ( sold )
/ 4" Rough Country Lift (F-40.5", R-41.25" Falken AT's stock size)(F- 41.62", R- 42.75" w/35 toyos mt)/ Bilstein 5100 .7" / Diablo Trinity / S&B Cold Air Intake / Mufflex 14" Magnaflow / Magnaflow Y-Pipe / BakFlip F1 / Stubby Antenna color matched / Backup Sensors Color Matched / Tint 20% front/ 5% rear / 3.55 gears / Functional Sport Hood Scoops /

WNDERR

Posted: 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM
State: IL
Post #4

I love my F1, and you will never be sorry.

Dawizman

Posted: 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
City: Cold Lake, Alberta
State: AB
Post #5

I am impressed with my F1. Coming from a Truxedo Edgo on my last truck, which was a very nice cover, the Bakflip F1 is head and shoulders above. It looks better, seems to keep water out better, and best of all it doesn't flap in the wind.

2010 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB 4x4 5.7, Deep Water Blue, Toyo Open Country A/T, SpaceKap + Ladder Racks + Conduit Box(Work Truck)

Gone:

2010 Ram 2500 TRX4 CCSB 4x4 5.7, Brilliant Black, Truxedo Edge, Go Rhino Dominator III Nerf Steps, Superchips 3865.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT RCSB 4x4 5.7, Atlantic Blue, 33" Toyo Open Country M/T

dmcelhannon

Posted: 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

One of the things that I sick of ... every time in rains, the cover fills with water. The problem is the rake of the driveway and truck match. So the bed and cover are dead flat and most of the time, the rain hits faster than it cam drain. That puts me out in the rain turn the truck around to face the street so the rakes add-up together. But even doing that, if the rain comes down hard enough, the cover with puddle water. The first time it happen was during a hurricane and it turn the back of the truck into a redhead swimming pool. All the water damaged all three of the bows. It broke the end off of one and then bent the other two. So I'm looking at a BAK F1 or the Dodge bed rug and leaving the cover off.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Support Bars.jpg (202.4 KB, 8 views)

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 660+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

Caravel

Posted: 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
State: MO
Post #7

Ok I bought the BAKFLIP FIBERMAX part # 126203 for my 2012 Quad Longhorn,,,,
As a top it is supper !!! BUT,,it is one heavy dude, first fold a locking fold,, ok, second fold a little heaver with no locking latch to contend with so, ahhh ok. But now comes that 3rd locking and that 4th locking fold, WOW. How tall are you ??? Dodge trucks sit a ways up off the ground. Opening from the road side ~~ You are reaching over then under the edge of the top with your right hand to twist your hand into a 90 degree to turn & to pull, & then while continuing to hold down the reliese cord, then with your left hand reach across all, to grab the edge/s (if more then one fold) to pull all up & over 4 times in all to open complete. There was several many (!!!!) sharp edges from all of the different underside metal. I had to take a rat tail file to. Cut my hands several times. Be aware of the sharp metal edges of the channels that incases the cords. When it was sliced & installed under there from the factory it has many many sharp edges & as the cord is raked down & againt these edges, it frayes the cord. Would I now buy another,,,No. But I think a good engineer has a lot of work to do for this other wise good truck bed cover. My opinion from 4 monts of use.

BAKFLIP are you there ? Why not make those latches that when the cord is pulled one time from ether side, the protuding latch will automaticly locks open. Then a guy could reposition his body to face the bed & with Both hands there at the tops outside edge, lift all of that reinforsed fibergass to swing over & open. Then When that top is shut the latches spring lets go on contact to let the two protuding points lock. They now make that same lock as I described, NOW. Figure out a better way of locking down the whole shebang rather than two nerald nuts. You all did a great job of easing the labor & troable on the insulation, thumbs up on that. Great materal, weight could not be helped. The steel holding up rods ~~~the cheap, cheap plastic out of the wayretaining clips, they are absolute worthless, leaving the rods to dangle into the bed in harms way, and THEN to come un screwed rolling around. The back side over the gate rubber strip, It should be about 3/4" longer. If a guy forgot to lift that last section for that strip to lay over the gate, It would not overly effect that rubber strip. But if it was longer, in that tops first set-up it would not be so critical to pull that space away from the front of the bed to allow enough room for that swtriop to lay over the gate. If so intrested leave a message as I got several other's.

Last edited by Caravel : 11-13-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: an addition ~~~

Bluecheck22

Posted: 11-27-2012, 01:50 AM
City: Hampton Roads
State: VA
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

I got the Bak F1 install at my local Linex dealer a few months after they put in my liner It is about 1 year old as of this month Nov 2012 and have only had minor issues with it. 1st, it does get a little bit of water under the front closest to the cab. Not enough to cause any damage unless you have clothes or something sitting directly on the bed floor. 2nd, you must close the tail gate before shutting the final section so the lip does not get damaged. That is really no big issue for me, just when friends or the wife opens the the tail gate you have to be careful that they don't damage the lip. I have accidentally closed the gat with the section down and did not notice any damage, but not recommended. 3rd, I t does not close 100% out of the way. There is about 1-2 inches of over hang even when all 3 pannels are latched against the rear window. The reason I go the F1 is because I have RAM boxes and this so far is the best cover out ther for RAM box trucks. I would recommend to any one with RAM box. Cover shows no signs of damage or deteriation so it is holding up. I hope this review helps someone.
Closed Thread