HELP 04 Dodge Durango 4.7 Timing/Head Gasket - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

lvfd404

HELP 04 Dodge Durango 4.7 Timing/Head Gasket - Posted: 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM
State: WV
Post #1

I am looking for some clarification on timing. I have the motor stripped down and the heads off and at the machine shop. I had someone from a local garage give me a hand to make sure nothing was messed up when I got to the part about timing. Well I dont believe he was knowledgable as he claimed. I set the crank slot to TDC. The two cam gears were lined up with the v8 mark at the 12oclock position. When he busted the bolt loose for the crank/harmonic balancer, the timing mark is now slightly off. When he busted the bolts loose for the gears at the cam, the cam rotated a little as well. I had not noticed this. Prior to taking the cam gears off, I did zip tie the timing chain to the guides so they didnt move or drop. But that was prior to me realizing the crank moved a little from TDC. Now I am sort of lost what I need to do to ensure proper timing. Do i put the harmonic balancer back on and move back to tdc then pull back off? Since I have the two cam chains zip tied down do i need to do this after i get the heads back on and gears back on the cam? Then just put the cam gears at V8 12oclock? I apologize for this being all over the place but I dont want to have the timing messed up and bend a valve or worse. I appreciate your help in advance as you all in these forums really help everyday people out.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

HEMI5PNTSVN

Posted: 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Chief's Pride!!!
City: VA BEACH
State: VA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

In the General Forum section you will find the Service Manual link to download the manual. This should help you.
#1 "Black Mamba" DIY CAI Club Member
DIABLO PREDATOR 93/TRANS TUNED
De-Trimmed and De-Badged
TB Lift
MY F-QUICK PAGE
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079472

DOWNLOAD 04-06 SERVICE MANUAL http://www.mediafire.com/?hjiybtbuiyw

SILVER TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #172

MILITARY TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #36

HEMI OWNER'S CLUB MEMBER #13

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

HEMI5PNTSVN

Posted: 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Chief's Pride!!!
Post #3

Or on my Sign line of course.
De-Trimmed and De-Badged
TB Lift
MY F-QUICK PAGE

lvfd404

Posted: 11-13-2012, 07:19 PM
State: WV
Post #4

Well my problem just goes from bad to worse. Local shop said head gaskets bad. Cause for my overheating. I didnt like nor able to afford the 2500$ repair bill so I went ahead and used a block test kit to check for exhaust gas after the shop said needed the head gasket. It turned yellow and confirmed it. Tore down, took heads to reputable shop and they machined them .003. Put new fel-pro gaskets on, torqued to proper setting and put everything back together. Re-tested with block test kit for s and giggles to verify the job well done and it yet again turns yellow. I am not sure what the deal is or anything. Any help or insight would be so much appreciated.

HEMI5PNTSVN

Posted: 11-14-2012, 04:29 AM
Chief's Pride!!!
Post #5

I would ask the Ram guys, they are always tearing motors apart.
De-Trimmed and De-Badged
TB Lift
MY F-QUICK PAGE

pershingd

Posted: 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM
City: Laquey, MO
State: MO
Post #6

Did you have the machine shop check for cracks?

If I recall right, the 4.7L has problems with the heads. The advice to post your question on the 3rd Gen Ram forum is right on track. There are guys over there that have been all over their 4.7Ls.

2004 Dodge Durango SLT AWD
5.7L Hemi
Mods:
MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust
6.1L Valve Springs & Push rods
Blue Truck Club Member #261
Closed Thread