Moes 87MM Throttle body Review. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM Performance Talk

Closed Thread

catsltd

Smile Moes 87MM Throttle body Review. - Posted: 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
City: Calgary,Alberta.
Post #1

I removed my Fastman 85MM-throttle body.
Installed my 87MM from Moes.
This is about a 10 minute job,if you can change a lightbulb you can do this mod.

Caution though; The tq needed to tighten the throttlebody is very low,so all you really need to do,is snug it up till it starts to tighten up,then stop.Its in inch pounds,so just be careful.

I took a couple days to review the unit,I really wanted to make sure I didnt have a code,or surging issue pop up after i posted the review.

Day 1
Inital review:
1.There is a noticeable difference between the Fastmann and Moes,which surprised me because I really liked my fastmann 85MM unit.

1.Truck has more pull right from idle,this was my biggest surprise,I was really only expecting to see a difference in the upper RPM.

2.Part throttle is improved also,you dont need to put to the floor to feel the difference,its notcieable everywhere.

3.Passing gear will put a smile on your face,truck pulls hard,but around 4000 RPM you can actually feel and hear the intake switching over to the longer intake runners.

4.No hesitation right from idle,I kind of expected to get a bit off lag with the bigger throttlebody but theres none there.

Day 2.
5.I loaded up a 91 tow tune with Superchips,since thats what I run on my truck 95% of the time,and this is where you will really notice the extra power,the advanced timing with the Superchips,and the more air coming into the motor,seems to really make the truck fun to drive and when you floor it,things get noisy fast.The sound of the intake gets a little louder,and when it starts pulling in the upper RPM it is very impressive.
No surging just really long steady pulling.

Well thats it.No codes,no surging,no excessive high idle nothing.
I am surprised by how well it works,Im even more surprised that i can feel a very noticeable difference over my 85MM Fastman unit.

I would expect any truck would notice a difference with this unit,but I would suggest pairing it with a good intake,if you truly want to see what this unit can do.
I have a good intake,and I think that is part of the reason I feel such a big difference with this unit.

I have not tried the 85MM unit Moes so i cant tell you its better or worse than Moes 87MM unit,but i can tell you its a good upgrade over my old 85MM unit.

Thanks for the great throttlebody Matt.
Sorry I wont be sending it back to you anytime soon.LOLOL.
2010-1500 SLt rclb 4x2-3:92 LSD.
Mods so far.
American Racing SS Ceramic Coated headers
Billy Boat SS Performance Muffler.
.Jet 180 stat./BT catch can.
Superchips transmission tune.
Diablo track tune.
Airaid dry flow intake.
Moes 87MM throtllebody.
Flexalight #295 dual fan.
2;08/1.6 BV heads
258MM-2800 stall Triple Disc Circle-D converter.
13.539@ 98.11 MPH.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

2006hemiram

Posted: 10-21-2012, 08:05 PM
City: Marysville
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

nice!
Limo tint all around
cutout
R/T stripes
2/4 belltech drop w/sp shocks
Shorty antenna w/painted base
Bakflip F1
Plasti Dip Rims
Pinted red calipers
Plati Dip all badges
R/T rear badge
VARARAM
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dodge4L1fe

Posted: 10-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Retired DT Staff
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Sweet. I noticed near the same thing going from stock to the Moes 85

2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 6-Speed STP (1 of 32) - Mostly stock with a few bolt-ons

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport - DD/Winter Beater

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Posted: 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Try harder
City: Norman
State: OK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #4

I'm very VERY glad to see an honest review from one of the few "go fast guys" left on this forum with actual cred. Now, I'm glad I ordered my headers, but can't wait to order a Moe's TB.

Mineral Gray 2010 Dodge Ram CC Hemi Sport

Exterior: Limo tint | Painted tips | Painted calipers | De-badged | Painted grill inserts | Gloss black b-pillars | Color matched antenna base |
VHT tinted puddle lights | Color matched tailgate handle | Shaved and two-toned grill | Painted Vararam lid w/ two-toned Ram badge |
Color matched Laramie 2500 flares | Shaved tailgate badge | Shortened and painted antenna
Lighting: Color matched headlights retrofitted with 5000k Morimoto projectors |
5000k HID fog lights tinted with Lamin-x | 6000k HID retrofitted reverse lights
Interior: Color matched interior plastics | 2 MTX 12" subs in a cheap box | REN MyGig 30gb headunit | Black microsuede wrapped headliner and sun visors | Black microsuede wrapped and shaved pillars | Black microsuede wrapped custom made door inserts | SEM black painted interior plastics
Suspension: McGaughy's 2/5 Economy drop | BrakeMotive cross-drilled and slotted rotors | All black Milano M724 22s | 305/40R22 Nitto 420s | AirLift Helper Bags
Performance: Superchips Vivid Paq w/ trans tuning | Vararam Air Grabber | Magnaflow 18" Muffler | Raceland USA E-Cutout |
Billet Technology Oil Catch Can | Clutch fan delete | 180 T-stat | Magnaflow Y-Pipe with relocated crossover pipe

MGRAM-10

Posted: 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Don't forget your towel
City: Edmonton
State: AB
Post #5

Sold me on this mod, haven't put any performance money into my truck for a long time and this looks to be the next purchase

catsltd

Posted: 10-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd View Post
I'm very VERY glad to see an honest review from one of the few "go fast guys" left on this forum with actual cred. Now, I'm glad I ordered my headers, but can't wait to order a Moe's TB.
You wont be dissapointed.
Hope to see you guys next spring at the track.
Cheers:
Mods so far.
Diablo track tune.
Airaid dry flow intake.
Moes 87MM throtllebody.
2;08/1.6 BV heads
13.539@ 98.11 MPH.

SmokinMirror

Posted: 10-22-2012, 12:44 AM
m@n !$ oBs0Le+e
City: Phoenix
Post #7

Sounds like your a government agent bro..

mojoman

Posted: 10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
City: Lakewood
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Nice, that is what I want to hear thanks for the reviews.

Dodgetalk.com 345 Entusiast Member #23
Member #109 "The Red Truck Club"

God Squad 1979 to Enternity
Preacher of the Gospel
Acts 3:19

catsltd

Posted: 10-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRAM-10 View Post
Sold me on this mod, haven't put any performance money into my truck for a long time and this looks to be the next purchase
Hope to see you guys at the track next spring.
Cheers.
Mods so far.
Diablo track tune.
Airaid dry flow intake.
Moes 87MM throtllebody.
2;08/1.6 BV heads
13.539@ 98.11 MPH.

Musclemckeester

Posted: 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM
5.7L HEMI
City: Houston
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Great review. I can't wait to get mine to test this week. I'm coming from stock so I should see a very noticeable gain it sounds like.

HEMI450HP

Posted: 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #11

Grant, thank you for being the test truck on this mod. I'm very happy to hear your results. Musclemckeester will be receiving his tomorrow, and I would like to get 1 more out there on a bone stock or near stock truck. If anyone else would like to try this 87mm on a stock truck, shoot me a PM. I will offer you the same $299 deal.

Once I get feedback from the stock truck test, I will be porting a run of these and adding them to the site.

catsltd

Posted: 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemckeester View Post
Great review. I can't wait to get mine to test this week. I'm coming from stock so I should see a very noticeable gain it sounds like.
Im looking forward to another review.
Im sure everyone looking at purchasing this throttlebody would like another opinion.
Do a battery reset,touch the positive and negative cables together for at least 30 seconds.do not touch the posts together.
Mods so far.
Diablo track tune.
Airaid dry flow intake.
Moes 87MM throtllebody.
2;08/1.6 BV heads
13.539@ 98.11 MPH.

dtru1222

Posted: 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
City: Dallas
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI450HP View Post
Grant, thank you for being the test truck on this mod. I'm very happy to hear your results. Musclemckeester will be receiving his tomorrow, and I would like to get 1 more out there on a bone stock or near stock truck. If anyone else would like to try this 87mm on a stock truck, shoot me a PM. I will offer you the same $299 deal.

Once I get feedback from the stock truck test, I will be porting a run of these and adding them to the site.
All I have is a Volant CAI and Mag 14 inch

If he is noticing a difference switching from 85 to 87 im willing to give it a try.

wyat72

Posted: 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
PAID OFF!!!
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Are the 87s going to work on 3rd gens as well? Are they worth putting on without also upgrading to exhaust headers?

Appearance Mods: Chrome Mopar Tubular Side Steps, Chrome Mopar Bug Guard, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Mud Flaps & Wheel Liners, Mopar Tow Hooks, Putco Chrome Door Handle Covers, AMI Chrome Fuel Door, Curt Customized Hitch Cover, Bully Locking Tailgate Handle, ACI Vanish Tonneau, Line-X Bed Liner, Autospring 2" Leveling Kit, Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Performance Mods: SuperChips FlashPaq, Volant CAI, 12589 Magnaflow Muffler and Y-Pipe.

Red Truck Club Member #289

HEMI450HP

Posted: 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Moe's Performance
Post #15

Yes, we will be porting the 87mm TB's for all 03-2012 hemi trucks. 04.5-12 all share the same part#, so it makes it easy. I'm waiting to see how the stock trucks react before I say whether you will need headers to run the 87. Even if the stock trucks dont feel the same gains that Grant did with his, our 85mm has proven itself as a great upgrade for both stock and modded trucks.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #16

Sound like great work and a great product ...
2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years and Counting! ~

SmokinMirror

Posted: 10-23-2012, 03:53 AM
m@n !$ oBs0Le+e
City: Phoenix
Post #17

Damn G man, when you takin it to the track?

compressor man

Posted: 10-23-2012, 06:23 AM
State: ON
Post #18

Once I get some things in order I will be getting one of these for my truck, I think it will help alot with my mods.

FRI'D 2007 Bright Silver QC 4X4 HEMI SLT SPORT. In the 13's

bonesgd3

Posted: 10-23-2012, 06:40 PM
State: NY
Post #19

i have a bone stock 2012 i would be willing to try one out.,

HEMI450HP

Posted: 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Moe's Performance
Post #20

I already have 3 units going out to stock trucks, so we are good on the testing for now. I was going to wait for their results, but because we already know it will perform on the modded trucks, we went ahead and started a run of 10 units. I will have these boxed up and ready to go around the middle of next week. I will make a post in here and add them to the website as soon as I have them in my hands and ready to ship.
Closed Thread