Transmission problems?? 1990 - 1999 Limp mode?? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM
alanbomb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission problems?? 1990 - 1999 Limp mode??

Found this onine. I solved my transmission problem.

SERVICE ALERT FOR MOPAR TRANSMISSIONS BETWEEN 1990 AND 1999: It has been determined that in over 91% of the transmission problem cases reported (limp mode) that the problem is due, not to mechanical problems within the transmission, but is due instead to a faulty inline wiring harness splice from the factory. The wire from the TCM, the second wire from the solenoid pack and the third wire from the ECU was wired together at the factory when it was determined that there was a communications error to the ECU which is a factory/design flaw.

So on the production floor, a last minut repair was approved to correct the problem. This three wire splice is located in the wiring harness just on top of the transmission down by the three wires that connect to the three plugs located between the radiator and the tranny (or in the region about 12 inches under the battery). Follow the three wires from the front of the tranny and you'll see them disappear into a plastic wireing harness cover about a foot away from where they plug into the tranny. This wireing harness goes into a T junction with another wireing harness. Peel off the entire outer plastic conduit harness covering the T junction about 8 inches in all three directions and you will be able to see the other three wires wired together in a makeshift splice under some factory electrical tape. Peel that tape off and you will discover that the splice is corroded. Because of this corroded factory last minut splice which said corrosion appears about between 30,000 and 120,000 miles depending on how wet your geography is, the ECU cannot communicate with the selenoid pack that goes to the transmission so irregular shifting occurs, namely Limp Mode.

Most certified mechanics only detect the fact that the selenoid pack is not getting a signal or the ECU is not sending a signal so they think that either the selenoid pack is bad or the ECU is bad. They are wrong in both cases. Un-splice the three wires, cut off the corroded wire ends, cut back the insulation to the three wires and RE-SPLICE THEM. Then cover them with new tape. Now the tranny coil pack can recieve messages from the ECU to shift the tranny. Its that simple! ! ! ! ! ! ! Your eternal problem has now been permanently solved and your tranny will shift like new! ! ! ! One other thing, on some Mopar vans this simple problem that causes real havoc in these beautiful vans is the ground wire to the tranny is corroded and must be cleaned or replaced as it causes that same exact simptom of limp mode due to a bad connection.

If people making their complaints on this page knew this, they would still love their vans because they can fix it themselves. Mopar corperation knew this but cannot admit to it as it would cause the largest recall in U.S. history of any vehicle. Now you know what Mopar should have told every Caravan and Voyager purchaser from the get go, clean 3 little wires and problem solved. I assume many mechanics find this after replacing a transmission and re-wire the splice and never tell the customer so that customer thinks the new tranny solved the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Ratchet75

Yup, this splice has been a topic for years. On the up side the OP gives a little more detail as to it's location though wire color ID and function would have helped. 1st, 2nd, 3rd wire leads to confusion. On the downside some of his claims are questionable. 91% - really? Seams a bit grandiose and meant as an attention grabber. What was his source besides "it has been determined"? Same for several other claims. There is nothing nefarious about a wire splice in a circuit. There are many on these vans. Not mentioned in this post but In the past folks have stated the factory didn't use an actual splice. They just twisted the wires together and slapped some electrical tape around it. I could see that happening on a limited number of vans but I can't swallow that's the case for generations of vans. All that said it's something to keep in mind next time you come across a transmission problem. Thanks for passing it on.

Last edited by Ratchet75; 10-12-2012 at 02:17 PM.
#3 Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM
alanbomb

(Thread Starter)
I decided to check my wire harness and clean and remove all the tape. I did see splices but they were not just cut and taped it was enclosed and spliced so you cant see rust. I had a problem with my van in limp mode so i reset battery and turned on. Gone for a minute or two the service engine would go on again. I changed input and output tranny sensors and still going into limp mode. The next thing i did was clean connection plug at tranny pack. Still got into limp mode. Next i cut all the wire harness where the "T" connection was and opened it up. First thing i noticed when i opened up the fat part of harness, water poured out!! So i opened everything dried all electrical, and put back together. I believe the water was grounding out the splices causing car to go in limp mode. Now everything runs good. No more service engine light and limp mode. Also no more jerky transmission jumps at very slow speeds. I feel good its working perfect considering the people who replaced trannys. I retaped and sealed all wires and rerouted cables so water wont get in the harness during the rainy season. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.