anyone know how to use 4x4 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 2nd Gen (97 - 04) Forums > 2G Dodge Dakota - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

altor32

anyone know how to use 4x4 - Posted: 11-21-2004, 03:43 PM
Post #1

just ot a 97 slt 5.2 with no owners manual can someone explain how to shift to 4l,4h 4x4 thanks i dont want to start playing around and breaking things
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Josh Brown

Posted: 11-21-2004, 03:46 PM
City: Shohomish
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

4H when moving under 55mph 4L stop put in reverse shift 4L then in gear.

altor32

question - Posted: 11-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Post #3

i thought 4h is for when you are on highway then 4l for local heavy snow. so 4h u can do while in park. actualy these should be all in park position then go? thanks for your input man
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

HemiMagnum

Posted: 11-21-2004, 04:50 PM
City: Sanger
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

4lo you should only shift if you are in neutral. 4hi you can engage at speeds up to 55mph. ive seen people go 85mph in 4hi, so you can pretty much do any speed with your truck in 4hi

in 4lo you shouldnt go above 10 "or so" mph

wg34

Posted: 11-21-2004, 09:29 PM
City: Nanaimo
State: BC
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiMagnum
4lo you should only shift if you are in neutral. 4hi you can engage at speeds up to 55mph. ive seen people go 85mph in 4hi, so you can pretty much do any speed with your truck in 4hi

in 4lo you shouldnt go above 10 "or so" mph

Yep and remember not to use 4x4 on dry or even wet pavement ,your wheels need to be able to slip while turning or you can screw up your transfer case.

JamesJ2525

Posted: 11-21-2004, 09:49 PM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
State: MS
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

4 LO is best engaged while rolling under 5 mph in neutral. You can just put in it 4 hi at speeds up to 55 mph. Dont press the gas pedal while shifting the 4wd lever.
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder

sgbofav

Posted: 11-22-2004, 09:35 AM
I'd rather be Geocaching
City: Southern California
State: CA
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Brown
4H when moving under 55mph 4L stop put in reverse shift 4L then in gear.
You wont be able to put your T/C in 4lo while in reverse.

You need to be in neutral, and not have your foot on the gas to shift into 4lo.

Yes you can pull your shifter into 4 high while in motion. Just be sure to let off the gas when shifting the T/C. This is easier on the T/C.

You should take your truck on loose dirt road and engage 4x4. Check to see that the 4wd light comes on, make sure there or no strange nosies while in 4x4 also. It's always good to no that 4x4 is in working order, before you actually need it.

Since you just got the truck, you should learn about it's previous maintenance schedule.

How long has it been since the T/C had it's fluid changed? (It uses ATF)
How long has it it been since the gear lube has been changed?

Bill,
AMSOIL SAE 10w-30 oil

Emerald Green 94 Ram 2500 slt lariat, 4x4, 5.9L Auto, 3.92 gears, HD service group, Tow Pkg,
AMSOIL SAE 75w-90 gear lube
AMSOIL SAE 15w-40 HDD&M oil
3 inch "cat back" exhaust with Flowmaster with 3 inch cat back exhaust,
Homebrew CAI with 9" S&B Pro-flow filter.
Dremel polished Throttle Body.

Green 1998 Olds Cutlass GLX, V6 (family car)
AMSOIL SAE 5w-30 oil
AMSOIL Flowzair "drop-in" air filter
Pioneer DEH-P3600 CD-player
Infinity Reference series speakers 4x6"s and 6x9"s

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

- Ronald Reagan

scott1981

Posted: 12-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Post #8

the only thing i wanted to comment on here is that 4lo can be used at speeds over 10mph. the reduction isnt even 3x, i believe it is in the 2.72 area. so pretty much if you can go 90mph in 4hi, you could go over 30mph in 4 lo. all gears work in 4 lo, so just watch the tach and make sure you dont rev it too high in 4th gear. i usually use 4wd hi for the beach or where power isnt really needed. anytime i am truly offroad it stays pretty much in 4lo. take the stress off the torque converter or clutch and engine and place it on the transfer case where it belongs

canyonD

Posted: 12-30-2004, 04:52 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
State: AZ
Post #9

My rule on using 4Hi vs 4Lo is based on terrain. 4Hi is fine for almost any snowy condition. 4Lo is not going to help in snow. 4Lo is needed when the terrain is rough, rocky, and/or uneven where you need more torque with better modualtion control to "crawl' past the rough stuff. 4Lo is also better when decending sketchy offroad sections. 4Lo allows more controlled downhill decents by helping to avoid braking. Braking while decending can be dangerous if the terrain is loose or uneven.

scott1981

Posted: 12-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonD
My rule on using 4Hi vs 4Lo is based on terrain. 4Hi is fine for almost any snowy condition. 4Lo is not going to help in snow. 4Lo is needed when the terrain is rough, rocky, and/or uneven where you need more torque with better modualtion control to "crawl' past the rough stuff. 4Lo is also better when decending sketchy offroad sections. 4Lo allows more controlled downhill decents by helping to avoid braking. Braking while decending can be dangerous if the terrain is loose or uneven.
me bieng from texas cant say i know too much about what to use in snow
Your comment about engine braking is very true also, i forgot to mention that

Lady Ram

Posted: 01-02-2005, 03:25 AM
State: OH
Post #11

Can I add a question about 4w low? One of the places that I have to go to for work (about once a week) is waaay up a mountain. The trail is asphalt (I dunno how they did it) and is very steep. Going up in a couple of places I can only see the hood of my truck, coming down, if I'm not wearing a seatbelt, I tend to slide into the steering wheel. Now it's covered in about 6 inches of snow. I have a V8 Auto with Electronic Shift. I have been coming down in 4w hi with the tranny in 1st gear and on my brakes. Would I be better off coming down those parts in 4w lo? I haven't had any problems yet going up or down but it's been snowing for 4 days and I'm due to go back up there in 2 days. Mine are the only tire tracks up and down there.

Thanks for any info.

JamesJ2525

Posted: 01-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
City: Ridgeland
State: MS
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #12

If there is enough traction lacking so that the tires can spin if they need to there should be no problem. 6 inches of snow should provide enough slippage that no binding should occur. 4LO will make it easier to control going down, cause of the gear reduction. It will use the engine more for braking.
2003 Ram 1500 SLT Regular Cab, 360 V8, 3.92 Limited Slip, 4X4 Offroad Package, 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, LT 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts, K&N Airfilter, Mopar (Borla) Performance Exhaust, Mopar Running Boards, Mopar Slush Mats, Sirius Satellite Radio, Coin Holder

canyonD

Posted: 01-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkas Mom
Can I add a question about 4w low? One of the places that I have to go to for work (about once a week) is waaay up a mountain. The trail is asphalt (I dunno how they did it) and is very steep. Going up in a couple of places I can only see the hood of my truck, coming down, if I'm not wearing a seatbelt, I tend to slide into the steering wheel. Now it's covered in about 6 inches of snow. I have a V8 Auto with Electronic Shift. I have been coming down in 4w hi with the tranny in 1st gear and on my brakes. Would I be better off coming down those parts in 4w lo? I haven't had any problems yet going up or down but it's been snowing for 4 days and I'm due to go back up there in 2 days. Mine are the only tire tracks up and down there.

Thanks for any info.
You might benefit from chains if that snowy downhill ride gets too slippery. 4 Lo may work ok, but chains rule in steep slippery road conditions.

ZeroDegreeC

Posted: 01-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Post #14

I am from Calgary Alberta and I have just a little bit of experiance with snow and 4x4ing. The chains wont help. At all. if your going down a steep section of trail or road in your case that has enough pitch to require you to use 1st gear engine breaking plus you tapping the brake you could use 4L like you were talking about. Your in more danger if your wheels STOP turning than if you learn to let the truck ride it out. The hardest thing for people to learn about driving in off-road conditions is pitch angles (people think they will tip when there far from it) and how much speed is too much(you can go faster than you think is safe)

The one thing you need to know about snow and 4x4 trucks is how to turn with one. Ever notice that when your in a parking lot and you try to turn sharp you just snow plow the front wheels and some times not turn at all? well you need to step on the gas to turn. This makes the front wheels bite and pull you around.

Oh and one more thing. I said Chains wont help, thats because Chains like to break, and If you have ever been in a truck with three wheels with chains and one without you will know what I am talking about. Plus the hastle of chaining up. Plus the Damage they can make to your truck if they break. BF Goodrich T/A tires are the BEST snow tires you can get for your truck. If your dealing with snow. the T/A is the way to go.

canyonD

Posted: 01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
Post #15

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that chains dont help in steep slippery conditions. In AZ, UT, and CA (and probably other western states) the state police mandate chains in the steep mountian passes when the conditions are snowy, icy, and slippery. If chains didn't help, I doubt the police would require their use.

Sure chains can and do break, but that is a function of wear. They should be inspected after every use and repaired as required. Even if they brake unexpectedly, I would rather have them 3 tires than none at all.

ZeroDegreeC

Posted: 01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Post #16

Personally if its just one section of trail that is steep I think that chaining up is quite time consuming if not really needed.

A three wheel chained truck sucks unless you have lockers.

Last edited by ZeroDegreeC : 01-03-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Lady Ram

Posted: 01-03-2005, 08:56 PM
State: OH
Post #17

I only have 2 short sections (about 1/4 km each) of really steep road that I worry about. The snow is so crispy from the temp right now (-16*) that I can actually stop the truck going down without sliding. I think the chains are too time consuming and will stick with 4w Lo. I go up and down at a decent speed so that I don't leave spin-out marks anywhere. I am running Hankook Geolander A/T tires. They have to be the best rubber I've ever had on a vehicle!
Closed Thread