Center console lockboxes are ready! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 4th Gen (09 Up) Forums > 4G Dodge RAM - Interior/Exterior Talk

Closed Thread

Miami_Son

Center console lockboxes are ready! - Posted: 09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Chrysler faithful
City: Loxahatchee, FL
State: FL
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #1

Hi all, a number of you expressed interest in my previous thread about the lockboxes I am making for our center consoles. The powers that be have given me permission to sell 20 of them here as a favor to me and to the forum. My first production run was for 24 (the number that can be made from one sheet of steel) and between myself, my cousin and a few friends, I only have that 20 left to sell. If you want one you have to post in this thread and once it reaches 20 that's it, the thread will be closed and no more will be sold here.

If you followed the thread you saw the progress from 1st prototype to final. When I finally found a metal fab shop to do the parts my design underwent one final revision. This allowed me to hit the $199 price point I promised I would try to meet. I waited to make this post until I was sure I would have product to sell. Today, I picked up the cut and bent metal and started assembly. They should be done and ready to go to the powdercoater by next week. Here's some pics of the development and a completed unit.

The first prototype (cardboard mockup)

The second prototype (also cardboard)

The 1st metal prototype (no lid or front supports)

The cavernous lower storage compartment

The raw materials

The final product before powdercoating

The tight fit also makes it resistant to pryout. The casual thief is thwarted easily. Even a determined thief would have to destroy the center console to remove the box. He'd have better luck stealing the entire vehicle than spending the time it would take to get the box out.

Spot welds are for placement, all joints are final mig welded. These lockboxes are made from 14 gauge cold-rolled steel. The lid is supported by a full-length spring hinge that makes getting into the box easy and can be done one-handed. The lock is a barrel-keyed cylinder lock with captive feature to prevent leaving the key behind or leaving the box unlocked. The lid also features an escutcheon plate to prevent insertion of a pry tool for added security. The d-shaped lock hole prevents twistout of the lock cylinder with a pair of vise-grips. The interior is padded with 1/8" foam to prevent damage to whatever you put inside.

Included with each lockbox is a rubber mat to place over the top that gives it a stealth presence. Most people wouldn't even know it was there since you can still use the lower compartment for storage.

The metal prototype is shown here.

Handgun not included!

I will be shipping these out via USPS (add $16 anywhere in the U.S., $30 to Canada). Anywhere else I will have to get rates separately. Florida residents must add 7.00% tax. Unfortunately, the only method of payment I can accept online is PayPal, but if you want to pay by personal check or money order you'll just have to wait a little longer until it clears. These lockboxes are 100% made in the USA and require drilling 5 holes in the storage compartment to mount. If you have any other questions, post them here or e-mail me at miamirick1@hotmail.com, which is also my PayPal address. Remember, once the thread reaches 20 orders, I'm done. I haven't decided if I will continue to make these, but even if I do I won't be able to sell anymore of them in here unless I become a sponsoring vendor. It was very nice of the forum to allow me to do this and I won't abuse the privilege. Thank you.

autolockboxes@hotmail.com
2012 Ram 1500 Sport Hemi Crew Cab 4X2
2000 Ram 2500 Laramie Sport V10 Quad Cab 4X4
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4
1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1979 Dodge Power Wagon 4X4
1975 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4
1974 Plymouth Road Runner
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

Last edited by Miami_Son : 09-26-2012 at 07:53 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Musclemckeester

Posted: 09-11-2012, 08:22 PM
5.7L HEMI
City: Houston
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Do you have any pics of where you drill the holes in the console? That's the only thing that makes me hesitant. It would be nice to have a locked compartment to keep my gun in while the truck is at the dealer, or getting tires rotated.

I do like that rubber mat that you have that goes over the top...great design.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Chrysler faithful
Post #3

The mounting holes will be one on each upright centered about an inch below the top deck of the unit. This will make them easy to drill with a standard drill. I disassembled the center console to make sure that the drilled holes and screws would not interfere with anything internally. I may put 2 holes in the bottom for those who prefer to screw it down that way, but that would mean drilling and screwing into the A/C vents under the console. Not a real issue, but the side screws are stronger and provide shear strength to prevent pullout of the lockbox. Mounting hardware will be included.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

mojoman

Posted: 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
City: Lakewood
State: WA
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

I have one in my console and I forgot on where I got it from but I have to combination lock. I love it but I don't carry guns and knives but I carry alot of money because I don't feel safe sometime when going from home to the bank.

Dodgetalk.com 345 Entusiast Member #23
Member #109 "The Red Truck Club"

God Squad 1979 to Enternity
Preacher of the Gospel
Acts 3:19

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Chrysler faithful
Post #5

I did consider a combo/key setup, but the price of just the lock was prohibitive (about $35 a unit my cost). It also sticks up so high that it defeats the stealth appearance. If anyone wants to pay the extra for that lock I will surely meet their need. There are lots of lockboxes you can buy for vehicles. The beauty of this design is that it is fully surrounded by the console thereby restricting the ability for a thief to just pry it out (unlike ones that mount under the seat). It also lets you still have use of the lower storage, unlike my competitor's box that takes up the entire compartment. Mine is also a lot cheaper.

Keep in mind, these are not just for weapons. I often go to the beach or the tennis court and I'd rather have my wallet secured safely in my vehicle rather than sitting somewhere vulnerable while I'm enjoying myself and not paying attention.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

Last edited by Miami_Son : 09-11-2012 at 10:14 PM.

mojoman

Posted: 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
I did consider a combo/key setup, but the price of just the lock was prohibitive (about $35 a unit my cost). It also sticks up so high that it defeats the stealth appearance. If anyone wants to pay the extra for that lock I will surely meet their need. There are lots of lockboxes you can buy for vehicles. The beauty of this design is that it is fully surrounded by the console thereby restricting the ability for a thief to just pry it out (unlike ones that mount under the seat). It also lets you still have use of the lower storage, unlike my competitor's box that takes up the entire compartment. Mine is also a lot cheaper.

Keep in mind, these are not just for weapons. I often go to the beach or the tennis court and I'd rather have my wallet secured safely in my vehicle rather than sitting somewhere vulnerable while I'm enjoying myself and not paying attention.

Yes, I agree I use mine for a lot of stuff at one time I had in my console lock box about four thousand for all of the church members but if you like I can take a pics and post it if you like. Awesome ideal.

Preacher of the Gospel

Jackvz

Posted: 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Post #7

what do the mounting screws screw into? is it into plastic? Do the mounting screw really secure the box to the truck?

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Chrysler faithful
Post #8

I took the console completely apart when designing and the construction is actually extremely sturdy. The substructure is fiber-reinforced resin that flexes very little. Since the lockbox sits well below the level of the rim it is extremely difficult to get a pry tool in and even if you could it would be even harder to break all 5 fasteners loose. The time to do so would be prohibitive for the average thief. There is also the option to screw into the bottom. Nothing can be made foolproof, unfortunately, but I purposely designed these to resist all but the most determined of thieves. The reality is it would be easier to steal the truck and strip it elsewhere, in which case no device would protect your valuables.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

Last edited by Miami_Son : 09-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.

jorben1990

Posted: 09-12-2012, 09:16 PM
City: Houston
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Damn wish there was something for the 3rd gen

Performance - Superchips 3865 / Magnaflow Dumped Exhaust / Twin Cold Air Intake/ Never knowing how little performace you have until your make a performance list, priceless.

Leveling Kit - Daystar 1.5 coil spacers.

Audio 1 12' Kicker Cvr122 in Stealthbox under middle front seat, Kicker DX 500.1 Amp, Pioneer Avh-p4300 screen , infiniti kappa series door speakers ran to cheap amp, upgrading soon.

Firepower: Taurus PT180 , shotgun coming soon for the jackers .

In loving memory of my brother from another, my best friend Eron Chapa 08/26/86 - 12/25/2010

This is your world I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut

mojoman

Posted: 09-13-2012, 12:00 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorben1990 View Post
Damn wish there was something for the 3rd gen

The place that I got mine from have them.

Preacher of the Gospel

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Chrysler faithful
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
The place that I got mine from have them.
Please respect my thread and do not post it here. Send it to him via PM, please. Thank you.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

mojoman

Posted: 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Son View Post
Please respect my thread and do not post it here. Send it to him via PM, please. Thank you.

Please sir accept my deepest apologize.

Preacher of the Gospel

Gopackgo69

Posted: 09-13-2012, 08:06 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

I think its a geat design, and you did a good job here. I will think about purchasing one.

mojoman

Posted: 09-13-2012, 09:05 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

Yes, I agree to support the members here.

Preacher of the Gospel

86bcook

Posted: 09-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Skid's Customz
City: Borger, Tx
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #15

sweet design looks great

2005 RCSB Hemi
THE SHOW
Completely Repainted, ABC Exclusive Cowl Hood, PURE Custom Tailgate Spoiler, Debadged!!, Honeycomb Grille with R/T elblem, 2/4.5 McGaughys drop w/ Chrome SRT-10 22's, OEM SRT-10 Pillar w/Autometer Tranny Temp, MRK Group silver interior package , 5% tint all the way around, 8000k hid's headlights and fogs, All led bulbs (int/ext), Power Show-N-Go Retractable, License Plate, DEE ZEE Tailgate EZ Down Strut Kit
THE GO
Comp 273 Cam, 6.1 valve springs and push rods, SCT 9550 Hemifever Tune, Pacesetter Headers and off-road x-pipe, Dual 14 inch magnaflows and exit out like the 2010's. With notched rear bump!! Bills custom intake w/ 1in throttle body spacer, Airram Scoop, NGK 5306's, Taylor Red 8.2 Thunder Volt Shorty Wires, Jet 180 Thermostat, Motive 4.56 gears, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads, Prothane Sway Bar Bushings, Prothane Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings,

Www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363131

mamasboy

Posted: 09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
City: edmonton
State: AB
Post #16

hmmmm,,,any idea on shipping costs to canada? edmonton alberta t6l2t9 if you could find out- are these truck specific?

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Chrysler faithful
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
hmmmm,,,any idea on shipping costs to canada? edmonton alberta t6l2t9 if you could find out- are these truck specific?
I'll check on the shipping, and this will only fit 4th gen Rams with the center console shown above.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

Fellzee

Posted: 09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
City: Edmonton
State: AB
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
X2 on the shipping cost to Edmonton, AB T5T 4M1

Miami_Son

Posted: 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
Chrysler faithful
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellzee View Post
X2 on the shipping cost to Edmonton, AB T5T 4M1
According to the USPS website, a Priority Mail International medium flat rate box costs about $35 to ship to Canada. I don't have one of these boxes to make sure my lockbox will fit inside, but from the dimensions listed it looks like it will. If it takes a large box then it will be $40. It does not say anything about customs requirements that could add to the cost. If this is acceptable then please post your intent to this thread so I can add you to the list. Payment is not required until I am ready to ship. Thanks.

1986 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 4X4
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
1970 Dodge Coronet 440

Last edited by Miami_Son : 09-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.

SINasster

Posted: 09-17-2012, 01:24 AM
Unregistered User
City: North Las Vegas
State: NV
Post #20

When you get the jumpseat lockbox designed, I will take one of those!! That console one looks great!
Closed Thread