Recurring P0344 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
brickford5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Recurring P0344

Immediately after starting my truck and driving about 30 feet my engine started jerking and acting like it was going to stall every time I'd try to decelerate. Check engine light came on, P0344.

I turned off the truck, restarted it and didn't have any problems again however I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor anyway (from autozone, just got underneath the truck, unbolted the old one and slipped in the new one).

Drove it for a few weeks without any issues then it happened again. It has happened a couple times now and always seems to be when initially driving the truck. Restarting seems to solve the problem... for a while.

(Also to note, when I pulled the original sensor it had quite a bit of metallic flakes on the end of the magnet. The new one over the past month has not gathered any.)

Any help or guidance from the geniuses here would be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
chefred112
Valdez Racing Team

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just read somewhere that not only do you change cam sensor, but also need to reflash pcm...apparently there was a tsb for it..

Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P0340/P0344 Set

NUMBER: 18-015-09

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: May 9, 2009

THE StarSCAN(R) FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM THE INTERNET.

StarSCAN(R) SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 9.05 OR HIGHER FOR THIS BULLETIN.

StarMOBILE STANDALONE MODE OR StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT MAY ALSO BE USED TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.

WHENEVER A MODULE IS REPROGRAMMED, THE SOFTWARE IN THE DRBIII(R); MUST BE PROGRAMMED WITH THE LATEST REVISION LEVEL AVAILABLE.

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination Due To Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 Or P0344

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

graphic

Read more: Dodge RAM 1500 2006 Dodge Ram showing a P0344 Check Engine - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/5pgj...#ixzz22FCeVNtv

05 Ram 1500 QC 5.7 (stroked 6.4 as of 7/14)
Inertia Motorsports Stroker Assy
best 1/4 (5.7 nitrous): 12.10 @ 113
best 1/4 (5.7 na): 12.96 @ 104 (cold day)
best 1/4 (6.4 na): 12.59 @ 106 (hot day)
over 250k miles on odo
#3 Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM
DodgeCares
Dodge Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickford5 View Post
Immediately after starting my truck and driving about 30 feet my engine started jerking and acting like it was going to stall every time I'd try to decelerate. Check engine light came on, P0344.

I turned off the truck, restarted it and didn't have any problems again however I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor anyway (from autozone, just got underneath the truck, unbolted the old one and slipped in the new one).

Drove it for a few weeks without any issues then it happened again. It has happened a couple times now and always seems to be when initially driving the truck. Restarting seems to solve the problem... for a while.

(Also to note, when I pulled the original sensor it had quite a bit of metallic flakes on the end of the magnet. The new one over the past month has not gathered any.)

Brick,

Here is the entire TSB as mentioned above.

NUMBER: 18-015-09
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: May 9, 2009

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination Due To Diagnostic Trouble Code P0340 Or P0344
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2002 - 2003 DN Durango
2002 - 2004 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/Vision/LHS/New Yorker /300M
2005 - 2006 (LX) 300/Charger/Magnum
2005 - 2006 (LE) 300C/300C Touring
2004 - 2006 (DR) Ram Truck
2004 (AN) Dakota
2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota
2005 - 2006 (JR) Sebring Sedan & Convertible/Stratus Sedan
2006 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser
2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler
2005 - 2006 (TJ) Wrangler (International)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to:
· DR vehicles equipped with a 3.7L/4.7L/5.7L engine (sales code EKG, EVA, EVD,
EZA or EZB)
· 2002 LH vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.5L engine (sales code EER, EES, EGC,
EGG, EGK or EGJ)
· 2003 and 2004 LH vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine (sales code EER)
· LX/LE vehicles equipped with a 2.7L/3.5L or 5.7L engine (sales code EER, EGG or
EZB)
· JR vehicles equipped with a 2.7L engine (sales code EEE or EER)
· TJ vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code ERH)
· AN vehicles equipped with a 3.7L or 4.7L engine (sales code EKG or EVA)
· ND vehicles equipped with a 3.7L or 4.7L engine (sales code EKG, EVA or EVC)
· PT vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (sales code EDZ)
· DN vehicles equipped with a 4.7L engine (sales code EVA)
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The software contains the following improvements for all customers:
· A MIL illumination for P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit - Bank 1 Sensor 1
· A MIL illumination for P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent - Bank 1
Sensor 1
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII® or StarSCAN®) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures
available in TechCONNECT, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If
DTCs are present record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before
proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the vehicle operator describes or experiences the Symptom/Condition, perform the
Repair Procedure.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#4 Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
brickford5

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a bunch for that info, I hadn't even considered that.

A couple questions if you don't mind. If the PCM was off, would it not be something that was a constant issue? Instead of only popping up every couple of weeks? (I'm not that knowledgeable in this stuff).

Also, I read somewhere that it could also be a magnet that needs replaced, or the crank sensor? Would you suggest either of these, or go straight to having the PCM reprogrammed (and if so, where is the best place to get that done)?

Again, THANK YOU!
#5 Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 AM
DodgeCares
Dodge Cares

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for that info, I hadn't even considered that.

A couple questions if you don't mind. If the PCM was off, would it not be something that was a constant issue? Instead of only popping up every couple of weeks? (I'm not that knowledgeable in this stuff).

Also, I read somewhere that it could also be a magnet that needs replaced, or the crank sensor? Would you suggest either of these, or go straight to having the PCM reprogrammed (and if so, where is the best place to get that done)?

Again, THANK YOU!
There is no way to tell what will solve your issue for sure, we can only point out possible causes. As far as flashing the PCM, that would have to be done at a Chrysler dealer. If you are going to go that route you may as well pay them to diagnose the problem first since paying for the flash may not solve your issue. Would hate to see you pay the dealer for the flash and it not solve anything, then you are back to square one again and will be around $100 lighter in the wallet.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#6 Old 08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Daytona1445

Quote:

OK. I am confused. You said you are getting a P0344 and replaced the cam sensor but you said you went under the truck to replace it.
The crank sensor is under the truck. The cam sensor is on top of the engine. What am I missing?

2005 Ram Daytona GoMango RC #1445
Orange Truck Club Member #19
Performance
Mopar CAI / 4.56 Superior Gears / Auburn limited slip / Edge Converter / Shift Kit / Viper Fan with FK50p Controller / Edelbrock mid headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Underdrive / 195 t-stat
Looks and Sound
Night Runner 22s / DJM 2" arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch & Air assist / Alpine, Orion, JL, Kicker audio / SilverStar lights / Optima Yellow / AEM Wideband O2 in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner / Mopar Billet fuel door / Daytona floor mats
Future plans
Depends what I can afford.
#7 Old 08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
brickford5

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona1445 View Post
OK. I am confused. You said you are getting a P0344 and replaced the cam sensor but you said you went under the truck to replace it.
The crank sensor is under the truck. The cam sensor is on top of the engine. What am I missing?
I have a 2005 4.7, from what I have seen the 4.7 cam sensor is underneath towards the front and the crank sensor is underneath towards the rear (all on the passenger side). The two parts do look a little different so I'm pretty confident I changed the right one.

If I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) please let me know, as I'm sure if I changed the crank sensor instead that would obviously be where my problem is (and a lot cheaper than a PCM flash).

Last edited by brickford5; 08-01-2012 at 12:08 PM.
#8 Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
brickford5

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeCares View Post
There is no way to tell what will solve your issue for sure, we can only point out possible causes. As far as flashing the PCM, that would have to be done at a Chrysler dealer. If you are going to go that route you may as well pay them to diagnose the problem first since paying for the flash may not solve your issue. Would hate to see you pay the dealer for the flash and it not solve anything, then you are back to square one again and will be around $100 lighter in the wallet.
Thanks again Dodge, I'm sorry if I miscommunication. I wasn't looking for a specific diagnosis on my truck. I know that's impossible over the net. I was just putting feelers out there to see if you might agree that it could be one of those other things as well and which was the most probable. Mainly since as you pointed out, I could do the flash for $110 and be back at square one.

Like you recommended I just may just have the dealer diagnose it for me. I am just down to a few different options and lack the expertise in guessing at which one I should start with:

- Buying the Cam Sensor OEM (instead of Autozone)
- Changing the magnet (I know nothing about this, just read it somewhere - not even sure what or where it is or what's involved)
- Changing the Crank Sensor ($30)
- Flashing the PCM ($110)
- Having the dealer diagnose it (I'm sure not cheap)

Any recommendations on the order you would do it?

Again, thanks for YOUR time in MY problem. I realize that and really appreciate it.
#9 Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
DodgeCares
Dodge Cares

Quote:
I have a 2005 4.7, from what I have seen the 4.7 cam sensor is underneath towards the front and the crank sensor is underneath towards the rear (all on the passenger side). The two parts do look a little different so I'm pretty confident I changed the right one.

If I'm wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) please let me know, as I'm sure if I changed the crank sensor instead that would obviously be where my problem is (and a lot cheaper than a PCM flash).

See below.

4.7L V-8
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.7L V-8 engine is bolted to the front/top of the right cylinder head (CMP LOCATION - 4.7L).
Attached Images
File Type: gif Cam Sensor 4.7.gif (33.7 KB, 17 views)

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#10 Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
brickford5

(Thread Starter)
I think that looks right, but the diagram is a little misleading to what I see. It looks to be the correct location but the sensor definitely points 'up' and getting at it from above the engine would have been really difficult. I was able from underneath to slide the sensor straight down.

I attached an image from both below, where I changed it, and above (you can't really see it but you can get an idea of the location).

Let me know if you think I changed the wrong thing still (as that seems much cheaper than flashing the PCM).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camsensor.jpg (121.1 KB, 19 views)

2005 Dodge 1500 - 4.7 4x4
#11 Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
DodgeCares
Dodge Cares

Quote:
I think that looks right, but the diagram is a little misleading to what I see. It looks to be the correct location but the sensor definitely points 'up' and getting at it from above the engine would have been really difficult. I was able from underneath to slide the sensor straight down.

I attached an image from both below, where I changed it, and above (you can't really see it but you can get an idea of the location).

Let me know if you think I changed the wrong thing still (as that seems much cheaper than flashing the PCM).

It looks the same. Hard to tell depth and angle on the picture I posted.

Regina

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
#12 Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Daytona1445

Quote:

thats cool. I was thinking hemi. I didn't see 4.7 listed in your most.

2005 Ram Daytona GoMango RC #1445
Orange Truck Club Member #19
Performance
Mopar CAI / 4.56 Superior Gears / Auburn limited slip / Edge Converter / Shift Kit / Viper Fan with FK50p Controller / Edelbrock mid headers / Custom True Dual Exhaust / Superchips Flashpaq / Summit Underdrive / 195 t-stat
Looks and Sound
Night Runner 22s / DJM 2" arms / McGaughys Flip with Notch & Air assist / Alpine, Orion, JL, Kicker audio / SilverStar lights / Optima Yellow / AEM Wideband O2 in SRT-10 Pillar / Retrax Bed Cover / Spray in Bed Liner / Mopar Billet fuel door / Daytona floor mats
Future plans
Depends what I can afford.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.