Ignition control module - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1973-1993 Dodge RamCharger

Closed Thread

m_mccrehin

Ignition control module - Posted: 11-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Post #1

can anyone tell me where the ignition control module is on a 91 RC?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodgevanman

Posted: 11-18-2004, 06:06 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

In the past Mopar ignition modules have either been located on the firewall or on one of the fenderwells....it's usually a small black or chrome box. However in a '91 the ECM (Engine Control Module or computer) may control the ignition and may be located up under the dash behind the glove box or behind the passenger side kick panel.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dodgevanman

Posted: 11-18-2004, 06:09 AM
Do It In A Van
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Looks like in '91 they still used the old style unit...here's a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LX101.jpg (17.7 KB, 65 views)

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:

m_mccrehin

Posted: 11-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Post #4

I called Dodge to find out where it was, but none of their mechanics knew either. It is not on the fire wall and not on the fenders, so I guess that if it's there it would be under the dash somewhere. That's a real mess under there. I got a hold of one from Napa and they gave me excatly what your pic shows. I would assume that something that size would be easier to find? thanks for the help

Dodgevanman

Posted: 11-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Do It In A Van
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

No, it should be under the hood somewhere. Check on the driver's side inner fender by the hood hinge area. If that's the module you were given those were mounted under the hood, most definitely. Unless someone in the past moved it inside.

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:

m_mccrehin

Posted: 11-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Post #6

I looked all over under the hood. I had someone else tell me that it was part of the onboard computer.

Dodgevanman

Posted: 11-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Do It In A Van
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

I initially said that it may be part of the computer, but the parts stores are saying different and show the external type I have in the picture above.

Here's an idea...follow the wires coming off of the distributor. Worth a shot.

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:

Grotesque

Posted: 12-18-2004, 06:17 PM
City: New Orleans
Post #8

that's funny, i went to a parts place to replace my I/M and they were saying that it was the older style too, but that's not the case, it's loacted in the computer, i believe that it's the first circuit board in there.. in anycase it's right behind your battery, in the drivers fender.. I hope this helps for you, I've got an 89 R/C.. it's begining to be a puzzle to me!!

tdimark

Posted: 03-20-2005, 10:37 AM
City: walnutport
State: PA
Post #9

from 1988 and up to 1993 vehicles with fuel injection, ignition is in the ECM located in left front fender right aside of the battery
DIESEL POWER RULES. list of projects: 92 d250 86K.93 W250,360 Mag,24K. 92 W250 4X4 CUMMINS 76K. 92 W350 4X4 dually CUMMINS 100K. 4 RAMCHARGERS. 88 W350 4X4 dually dump. 73 CUDA 340-6pak. hope to get em all done before i die

Chump

Posted: 03-21-2005, 03:44 AM
State: CO
Post #10

Yes, it's part of the SBEC(Computer) but the 2 most common failures for "no start" or intermittent start are the hall effect device in the distributor and the ASD relay. Were you havng a specific problem?
Closed Thread