2002 Grand Caravan Sport "limp mode" and starting issues Connected? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM
cdnjan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2002 Grand Caravan Sport "limp mode" and starting issues Connected?

Any input is appreciated.
The van has been going into limp mode frequently last few weeks (NOT every time though) Tranny selector light area stayed on twice. First time D only. Next time complete area.
After reading everything here I am crossing fingers it is only the solenoid pack.

Bigger question is > Is there anyway this could cause starting problems as well?
This also started within the last few weeks. Originally I thought I had battery problems as a boost would get her going. But on the weekend the boost did not work. Purchased a new battery (as I had been told battery was dying) put it in and still no start. Got it towed to the garage. New starter was put in 2 years ago at this same garage. (unsure yet if its still under warranty) Certainly it should last longer than 2 years and not many miles?
Being a gal I appreciate all input so I have a little knowledge from you pro's before I speak to them to prevent the possibilty of being ripped off (ex. you need a new tranny etc.
Unfortunately the codes are lost by the replacement of the battery.
Thanks in advance
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
RickMN

Don't think this would cause starting problems, but nothing to lose by checking it out.

Transmission stays in 1 gear

I'm a retired ASE Master/L-1 Technician. I still keep current with the latest automotive technology. My blog now has over 1000 in-depth repair articles, TSB's, and wiring diagrams: Rick's Blog
#3 Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
cdnjan

(Thread Starter)
Smile

Thanks Rick for your link and input. Last time we had trouble with the van we were able to solve that issue (with help from this forum) by simply replacing the fuse link wire from the battery to fuse panel. This had caused many issues from no signal lights, no speedometer, nothing on the dash working. A few garages had said they would replace one of the modules that the test codes were showing was failing) for $1000+
Thanks to this forum We fixed it for the price of the $3 wire and 1/2 hour labor. Was a good feeling. Would be thrilled if its simply a wire again. Was worried I had big tranny trouble.
I have found the paperwork on The starter and it is less than 18 months old so I feel they will fix that on their dollar. Hopefully back up and running soon.
All input is appreciated
#4 Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM
dendyr

My 91 had the limp home issue after replacing the transmission twice in less than a year and the solenoid pack 5 times. Come to find out mine was the wire connectors on the trans computer and on the solenoid had a poor connection. I had to take the connector apart and re form the pins inside to make a better connection. Some times its the simple things that get you.....lol
#5 Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Ratchet75

Model year and type engine and transmission would help bunches.

If by "won't start" means you turn the key and absolutely nothing happens meaning not even the starter relay (not solenoid) clicks then yes, your issues could be related. You mentioned gear selector indication problems. The transmission range sensor better known as the TRS, drives the indication. It also tells the transmission what gear you have selected. If you have the gear shift in park but the sensor is telling the transmission and the ignition system it is in anything but park or neutral, the van won't start. Won't even click because the TRS isn't letting power pass to the starter relay.
Closed Thread