How to get these stuck windshield wiper arms off? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 2nd Gen (97 - 04) Forums > 2G Dodge Dakota - Interior/Exterior

Closed Thread

Cfl Mike

How to get these stuck windshield wiper arms off? - Posted: 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM
City: The Land of Nod
State: FL
Post #1

Hello, and thanks for any help in advance.

I am having a major problem getting the windshield wiper arms off my truck. I have a Dakota 97 SLT, and they will just not move. I took off the cover, took the screw off, and the arm will not lift off. I have tried using heat, PBblaster, WD40, a light touch from a hammer, a windshield arm removal tool (AutoCrafts model), and nothing has even got it to budge. I dont want to just "muscle it" anymore than I am because I can see I am causing whatever holds all the parts for the windshield arms to work in place, stress. You can see the other arm move, when you move the other one.

Now something else I have noticed is, im not 100% sure but the windshield arm removal tool might not be working right. It might actually be grabbing something under the actual arm; but again im not 100% sure. So until I get some advice here, if I have time, I will try to trade that one back in.

I am open to anything you guys have to say about getting these things off, its getting rather ridiculous. I have tried many times with each of these things too. Its supposed to be a simple job.

Heres a picture of the tool on the arm.

Last edited by Cfl Mike : 07-16-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Adding picture of the tool on the arm.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Cfl Mike

Posted: 07-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Post #2

Posting pictures of the tool on the arm.

priceman14

Posted: 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM
State: MI
Post #3

The service manual says to use a battery terminal puller

Cfl Mike

Posted: 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceman14 View Post
The service manual says to use a battery terminal puller
Really? Thats interesting, but that was the next thing I was going to use.

MONKYMAN

Posted: 07-24-2012, 07:37 PM
City: Arizona
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Did you end up getting them off? I need to pull mine and repaint them.
2000 Dakota R/t 5.9 Club Cab: SRT-4 Seats, K&N FIPK, Holley 52mm Throttle Body, Superchips 3715, 4.10 Gears, Viper Fan, 180* T-Stat, Hooker Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 50 Dumped, Lowered 2/5 with Nitro Drop Shocks, CalTracs, Boss 330's, Nitto 420s tires, Shaved Tailgate, Grant Kustoms Weld-in Rollpan.
Stereo:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB, Pioneer Premier 6 3/4 components, Pioneer Premier 6x9 Premier 800x4 amp driving speakers, MTX Thunderform Box with 2 10" Shallow Premier subs.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Cfl Mike

Posted: 07-25-2012, 02:30 AM
Post #6

I havent had a chance to go to the auto store and switch out my arm removal tool for the battery terminal puller. I will let you know though how it goes when I do.

dizzyD

Posted: 07-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #7

That tool in pic IS set wrong. It's trying to pull from the stud shoulder and the tool needs to be pulling from the wiper arm. if it was a 1/4" wider for the opening, it looks like that tool would do the job.

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 CC dakota lifted 4x4 318

Cfl Mike

Posted: 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Post #8

So basically what happened was I went to go trade that tool back in for the battery terminal puller as suggested here (and the manual apparently) and the person at the auto store (Advance Discount Auto Parts) was really eager, seemingly, to help me and he actually got them off.

Part of the problem was that they didnt have a battery terminal puller, and the guy kept asking me if these huge gear/pully pullers would work. I told him no, and I could tell he was a new guy; but some how he got them to work. They were huge, but some how he got them under the arms, and then put a screwdriver bit in the middle (the hole on the wiper arm mount) and used a wrench to tighten the puller, and I guess it was just a matter of brute force, and the puller.