Installed HIDs now have (_!_) light on dash.. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM
FeTTo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installed HIDs now have (_!_) light on dash..

Hello Dodge talk, new to the forums here, and just purchased my first 2012 1500 ram sport last week.

Installed my HIDs I got from precision LEDS last night in my lows and fogs. Truck looks sweet, and no issues at all last night. Today on my lunch break, I noticed when under overpasses, and my auto lights come on, Im getting that (_!_) looking yellow light under the fog light icon on my dash. I was curious as to why that was happening. I manually turned my headlights on, and this light comes on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. There are no flickering in the headlights, since the CANBUS ballasts are supposed to have the relays and cancellor capacitors already inside.

Any ideas why this light comes on and then shuts off? I dont have any messages in the "inbox" on the dash to confirm a light out, or any error codes...

Link to pic since I dont have 5 posts yet,

i.imgur.com/QYq8H.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
cbrenn71
Hummer Recovery Vehicle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like you do not have the correct ballasts, and/or wiring harness. Did a harness come with your kit?

UNIQUE COATINGS - Sponsor as of 4/9/06

GARAGE SALE!!! Great Prices on New, Used Retrofit Parts and Accessories
http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&threadid=358141

PROJECTOR RETROFITS STARTING AT $195!!!!!

WE WILL NOT BE UNDERSOLD ON HID & RETROFIT PARTS AND SERVICES!!!!! GUARANTEED.
#3 Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
myoung84
Administrator

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Both my old 2010 and new 2012 do this when the lights come on. The ballasts are temporarily interfering with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I wouldn't worry about it...

2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman
Retro Shop Custom FXR Projectors | Diablo inTune | Vararam Intake | Moe's 87mm TB | BT Oil Catch Can
Toyo A/T II Tires | Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks @ 2.1" | Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks | Movotech UCA's
Bora 1.25" Spacers | AirLift Air Bags | Bestop PowerBoards | Undercover LUX Bed Cover | BedRug

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Overland Hemi

Magnaflow Exhaust | Volant Intake | Diablo inTune w/Hemifever Tuning | BT Oil Catch Can

#4 Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
FeTTo

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenn71 View Post
Sounds like you do not have the correct ballasts, and/or wiring harness. Did a harness come with your kit?
the kit did not come with any harness's as it states its specifically made for the ram 1500 dual/quad lamps and the canbus ballasts allow install without a harness or capacitor.

It worked fine all last night, and had them on today during the day, fine. It all started once the auto lights kicked on under the overpass..but nothing flickers, HIDs dont strobe, and the light goes out after a few seconds

Im slowly reading threads on google that seem like this was an issue when the truck was new, I just figured with it being middle of the year/end of the year that these issues might of been resolved and work arounds in place...

Do I NEED a harness with CANBUS ballasts? I am reading that dodge/chryslers headlights systems are based on CANBUS products, and if you use the same ballasts, no harnesses are needed
#5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
FeTTo

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
Both my old 2010 and new 2012 do this when the lights come on. The ballasts are temporarily interfering with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I wouldn't worry about it...

Oh? yeah i thought it was a light to indicate low tire pressure, but wondered..WTF would that be coming on for the headlights...Then i figured maybe thats just the new SES light. First week with this truck, 2nd day with HID's and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this truck.

Im also excited about the fast replies and help from you guys. Dodge talk is great so far, Even figured out how to disable my seatbelt chime from you guys...

I also wonder, because I came across this post from dodgeforums

"*Fogs are not canbus on any Ram 2008-older.
*You still should use a relay harness with the fogs even though they don't flicker/strobe when installing a pure Plug'n'Play kit. HID technology draws signiciant amount of current upon start up to heat up the bulb. The Inrush current can be up over 15A on some of these kits and cause popped fuses or circuits to be electronically shut down by the tipm. Just because HID lights use Less power(35w) and draw less current at operating temperatures, doesn't mean they are safe for the electrical system which isn't designed for it. The High inrush spikes slowly wear down electrical contact points. This includes the headlight switch, the Instrument cluster, the fuse panl or 06-08+ TIPM($$) module. Put the HID's that shouldn't be directly plugged in along with the capacitors that draw lots of current and you could have one big mess on your hands creating electrical trouble. I'm just sayin.... They'll directly plug in and work like a charm, but for how long? I'd say it depends on the kit and how many times you turn the lights on/off?"
#6 Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Fükken Retro'd Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung84 View Post
bingo.

Now.....I'd not use the auto lamps. Do you really need to have them come on when you to under a bridge?

DodgeTalk Moderator / Official DodgeTalk Supporter

Retro Shop - HID Projector Retros, Headlight Painting, HIDs / Lighting accessories / Need a quote? Email me please - jeremy@retroshop.us

Fukken Wax Specials: Specials here! / Join our Fükken Facebook page!

#7 Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
FeTTo

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0212353 View Post
bingo.

Now.....I'd not use the auto lamps. Do you really need to have them come on when you to under a bridge?
Thanks. I don't NEED them to come on. I just have them on auto, that was just when i first noticed it.
#8 Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 PM
hemidogg
Dodge Tech

i have the same canbus ballest its gonna do that on all settings my hid reverse lights even put the tire light on for a few seconds

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 6 Speed-Mine
2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Blacktop auto-Hers

2010 brillent black qc sport Sold
2013 Dodge Dart Rally 1.4 turbo Sold

Red Neck White Trash Blue Collar

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.