2002 Ram hard to steer - NEED HELP - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 – 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Ronnie Hale

2002 Ram hard to steer - NEED HELP - Posted: 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
State: OTHER
Post #1

Newbie here. I have a 2002 Ram 1500 QC with a 5.9L. Automatic.2WD. Stock tires. No mods. 99,000 original miles. My front end needs some work, i.e. the ball joints and bushings need to be replaced. The truck was running fine and still runs fine. I put some new tires on about a month or so ago and it started pulling to the left pretty hard. I've been driving it like that and waiting for a break from work to get in and replace all the front end components and get an alignment. Yesterday on the way home I slowed down to make a right turn and the steering wheel felt like it had a hitch in it and wouldn't spin freely. I grabbed the wheel and completed the turn without too much effort. The very next right turn (less than 50 feet), it did the same thing. I was only traveling a few miles an hour and turning in a residential neighborhood. Once home, I made several turns and backed it in the drive to take a look. When idling and not rolling, the wheel is hard to turn in either direction. If I jack up the truck and put on jack stands, the wheels turn fine with no noise or issues. The PS fluid is full and there appears to be no leaks ( I say no leaks but my boots on the steering rack are "damp" like maybe the seals are at the very beginning stages of going out on my rack and pinion. The wet area is not really even wet and zero fluid is dripping out anywhere). I checked all the hoses and lines and there are no leaks or crimped lines and I have not had to add any PS fluid. Guys at my local shop here say my steering rack is shot and to replace it. Does this sound right? I have no problem replacing it, I'm just concerned I would spend the 200 bucks on the rack and then the real culprit would be that my ball joints are so worn, they're just getting in a bind when turning at low speed. I know I need to do both, but I only have time to fix one or the other before duty calls again until next weekend. Any way to be sure my rack is the problem and not just the ball joints being "too" worn out? Could the bad ball joints put my steering in a bind when at idle or low rolling speeds and trying to turn? I defer to the experts here on the forum. Please weigh in. Thanks

Last edited by Ronnie Hale : 07-04-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add mileage of vehicle
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dmcelhannon

Posted: 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #2

I'm not sure if the 2Gen trucks has the high pressure sensor on the PS or not. The sensor is normally closed and when it senses high pressure, the sensor opens and then signals the PCM to raise the idle. This makes moving the steering easier at slower speeds. The only other thing I can think of is a weak PS pump itself.

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

Engine Failure ~ 645+-Days and Counting Thanks To A Dodge Pin-Head Engineer

“To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”
~ Thomas Jefferson

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Ronnie Hale

Posted: 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Post #3

I appreciate the response. Mine is a 3rd Gen Ram (2002 - 2008). I went ahead and got the parts for the front end and I'm in the process of tearing it all down now. I figure they need to be replaced at this point so why not start with what I KNOW is broken. LOL. Upper/lower ball joints, new upper control arms and bushings are not that hard. Well, hard physically with hand tools, but definitely not rocket science. Plus the replacement parts have grease fittings and thats a plus down the road. I'll update when I get it all back together and take it for a spin. I'm just hoping I don't end up being one of those stories where I start here and end up with every single steering and suspension component in the entire truck being replaced. Ha. I still would like to hear from all the ram experts on my issue. The ball joints/bushings are something I should have done long ago anyway.

Ronnie Hale

Posted: 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Post #4

Oh, and I did rev the engine up to around 3000 rpm's while it was parked and it had no effect on the steering. I thought maybe the pump was just going out.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 07-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

While you have it apart, I flush the whole PS system and check for blockage.

God Squad July 1972-To Infinity and Beyond-#40 Little Rammie Ridin' Shotgun Club
287 Club Member #81 ~ Broken C Clip Club Member ~ Two-Tone Truck Club Member #13 ~ 4.56 R&P Club Member #8
Mighty Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club #11~Mother Earth Raping Big Truck Club Member #25~Truck and Gun Club Member #97

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 89K/3***hrs, 2002 Ram 45RFE Jeep GC TCM Upgrade to 5-45RFE, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO E's, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, Sonnax Line Pressure Booster, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, Lincoln E-Fan, DCC 2-Speed E-Fan Controller, 180 Jet T-Stat, Denso 160-amp Alternator, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Accele 3.5" LCD Backup System, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, Hella 500 Black Magic-100W, Nokya Hyper Yellow Fog Lights, $1600 Oil Pick-up Tube thanks Dodge
Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging, with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Thomas Jefferson

MeenGreen5.2

Posted: 07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
i'm blue :D
City: North Las vegas, NV
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

replace the belt, the pump has to work harder at idle... your belt might be slipping
Superchips 3815
AEM Intake
Airram scoop
Flowmaster exaust
Magnaflow ypipe
24" Verde wheels/tires
Dodge head Tailgate badge
Leather interior
Debadged
tail light covers
street scene body kit
Hemi sport over chrome front end
8k hid's heads and fogs

2006-2008 tailgate spoiler
jensen touchscreen indash/blue tooth and rearview
rex-12 subs in encore vented box

BLUE TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #249
Trucks and Guns member #164

Ronnie Hale

Posted: 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Post #7

New belt about 8 months ago.

Ronnie Hale

Posted: 07-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Post #8

I'm ready and willing to flush the PS system. How do I do that?

dmcelhannon

Posted: 07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Moderator David Mack
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

The easiest way would be at the cooler connections with a tranny flusher.

~ Thomas Jefferson

Closed Thread